PR: Avengerworld - The Avengers in Our Lives (Charity Title)

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Re: Hardback edition.

Post by Rodders »

miller wrote:I ordered the hardback edition and 16 days in transit and I still have not received the book. I am getting a bit worried now.
I have yet to receive mine as well. Frustrating, as I'm looking forward to reading everyone's 'story'.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
miller
Nutshell

Re: Hardback edition

Post by miller »

I have been in touch with lulu.com and they have told me to allow one month for delivery. They are dispatched from France and crazy as it sounds, it often takes a month for them to reach the UK.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Mine took 6 days between order and shipping, and another two weeks to deliver.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

miller wrote:I have been in touch with lulu.com and they have told me to allow one month for delivery. They are dispatched from France and crazy as it sounds, it often takes a month for them to reach the UK.
If you went for Priority Shipping, I'd get back to them and contest that.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Jace
Thingumajig

Post by Jace »

Denis, I love your story about saving up to buy a video tape and trying to make your first collection of episodes! It brought back my memory of, like you, studying the TV listings each week and hoping to see favorite shows. One week I found a listing for Danger Man! I became a huge Prisoner fan at age 12, but never had seen McGoohan's earlier show. As far as I know, this was the only time Danger Man was broadcast in my area in the early 1980s. My heart was pounding with excitement! For some reason it was being shown in the middle of the night, around 2AM, so I had to set my alarm clock. I was so tired during the actual transmission, it was hard to understand the rhythm and dialog, but I did manage to tape it! I taped over another show, and finally got my chance to see the young McGoohan in action. Like you, I watched that tape over and over again. It wasn't until A&E released Danger Man on DVD in 2001 in the States that I got to see more episodes.

Before VHS, I often made cassette tape recordings directly from the TV speaker so I could re-live programs as audio dramas. Did anyone else do that?

I'm making way slowly through the book and really enjoying everything.
-Jason (Spy Vibe)
miller
Nutshell

Post by miller »

Alan wrote:
miller wrote:I have been in touch with lulu.com and they have told me to allow one month for delivery. They are dispatched from France and crazy as it sounds, it often takes a month for them to reach the UK.
If you went for Priority Shipping, I'd get back to them and contest that.
I used a voucher code for free shipping.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Was the code LULURC? If so, that's free priority shipping, which should be faster than the normal shipping rate.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
miller
Nutshell

Post by miller »

Alan wrote:Was the code LULURC? If so, that's free priority shipping, which should be faster than the normal shipping rate.
It's been so long now that I cannot remember. If it has not arrived by the 12th ,they said that they would place another order with a faster shipping option. Will have to wait and see.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Before VHS, I often made cassette tape recordings directly from the TV speaker so I could re-live programs as audio dramas. Did anyone else do that?

I'm making way slowly through the book and really enjoying everything.
-Jason (Spy Vibe)
I did exactly that in 1965-67 :) I taped episodes using a Philips reel to reel twin-track audio tape recorder - placing the microphone close to the TV speaker which I recall in my chapter the The Game's Afoot. Same type of mic Shirley Eaton used in Goldfinger. The Philips tape recorder was the same model used in several episodes of series 4 - The Town of No Return and The House That Jack Built etc. And I have distinct memories of recording Diana Rigg's final episode Forget-Me-Knot.
Last edited by mrs_emma_peel on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

To those having difficulty getting copies: Lulu must be having a problem in the UK, because I ordered mine about a week ago and it just arrived. In the States.

Looks like a nice book, BTW. From the little I've skimmed through thus far, plenty of different perspectives - most of which I don't agree with (naturally) but are interesting!