Exterior filming in Cathy Gale episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Exterior filming in Cathy Gale episodes

Post by mousemeat »

moorlock2003 wrote:
ricardomartins wrote:Can somebody explain me why the exterior footage in Cathy Gale episodes look like silent films of Chaplin and Buster Keaton? People just seem to walk fast like it was lack of frames, just like in the silent flicks.

Why does this happen?

Many thanks.
They did not have the budget or resources to film the exterior scenes with sound. This was television is its infancy, not unlike soap operas of the time. The pinched budget extended to the studio scenes as well; walls move, cameras roll over cables causing visible shaking, etc. I love the early episodes regardless; I think the superlative acting and scripts more than compensate for the low production values. The later filmed episodes are wonderful, too, but the in-your-face intimacy of the early episodes makes for a special viewing experience.
pretty much on the money...stone Age TV..usually at it's best..at times, could be a handful..equipment limitations of the era, gave form to many of the shows
Anthony McKay
Little Wonder

Post by Anthony McKay »

Allard wrote: Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you looked up the actual thing.
Talking about being close - my order for the season one/two DVD set of De Wrekers has fallen through. As you are in the Netherlands, who would you recommend I get this set from so I get the best price?
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Anthony McKay wrote: Talking about being close - my order for the season one/two DVD set of De Wrekers has fallen through. As you are in the Netherlands, who would you recommend I get this set from so I get the best price?
I bought mine on www.bol.com which is a Dutch website, similar to websites like Amazon. When I bought my series 2, it was 19.99 euros, now I see it's gone up to 24.99 euros. Worldwide shipping is quite expensive at bol.com, but quite quick. The whole website is in Dutch, so if you would decide to order the dvds from there, I'd be happy to help.
Anthony McKay
Little Wonder

Post by Anthony McKay »

Thanks Philippa,

I just went to Bol.com and got a strange "Store Closed" message. The order that fell through for me was for E15.99 for the Seson One/Two set - I don't suppose I'll see a price like that again!

I'm up to "The Nutshell" at the moment so it will be a while before I get really despirate for the other second season episodes.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

It's interesting that the first seconds of Hot Snow is a film insert. If only the whole series had been shot on film from the word go.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

If it had been, it would probably all exist today... Film series seem to have a much better survival rate than videotaped ones.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Alan wrote:If it had been, it would probably all exist today... Film series seem to have a much better survival rate than videotaped ones.
that would have been a real treat...sadly..oh well...those episodes
are heading towards alpha centaur,at the speed of light...

(as with just about everything else that was broadcasted)
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Got there a long time ago, it's 4 light years away!
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators