Bloopers & Gaffes !!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

In the grounds with Steed & the dog in The Hidden Tiger, it's so obviously not Diana.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

In The Bird Who Knew Too Much when Emma dives into the water, see either miraculously gained and lost a stone (or two) in that shot or she had a stunt double.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I think she had two stunt doubles in that episode. Apart from Cyd there was also a man to do the dive.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

Rocky Taylor who was the motorbike riding huntsman (!) in Escape In Time often doubled for Patrick.

Whenever he did the fight scenes, and you see this brilliantly in The Forget-Me-Knot where Steed and Mrs Peel are ambushed by the bikers, he always crammed the Bowler down on his head before launching in to the fight, in case it flew off and exposed the fact that it wasn't really Patrick doing the scrapping after all. :lol:
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

There's a driving double who has a completely different hairstyle from Steed's in season 5. Makes me laugh every time. The body double they used for Diana in the same season had legs not remotely like hers, too. It's quite distracting. I remember reading a Couch Potato commentary of The Hidden Tiger in SFX. "Spot the body doubles. What did The Avengers have against letting their stars outside? Did Patrick Macnee have a clause?"

(I find it terribly hilarious to this day, but maybe that's just me).

One nice thing about TNA is that most of the stunts were by Gareth and Joanna, so you have fewer instances of that. Some really obvious examples are and time Purdey actually "dances" when she fights, and Gambit being thrown around in The Three-Handed Game. Then again, they had the same doubles as Patrick and Diana/Linda. Because you know Tara and Purdey look exactly alike. :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

That's right,Rocky Taylor did a lot of the driving stunts too.

It's the back of his head you see driving the Bentley when Steed loses control on Spout Hill in Death's Door.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

The Gaslight Ghoul wrote:That's right,Rocky Taylor did a lot of the driving stunts too.

It's the back of his head you see driving the Bentley when Steed loses control on Spout Hill in Death's Door.
Rocky was always the one stuck in the Cybernaut suit, too, wasn't he? (I know that's true for TNA at least, and that he was Gareth's double as well).

Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:There's a driving double who has a completely different hairstyle from Steed's in season 5. Makes me laugh every time. The body double they used for Diana in the same season had legs not remotely like hers, too. It's quite distracting. I remember reading a Couch Potato commentary of The Hidden Tiger in SFX. "Spot the body doubles. What did The Avengers have against letting their stars outside? Did Patrick Macnee have a clause?"

It was distracting at first, but now I know it's just part of the 60s charm along with the hilarious projected backgrounds while driving. Have to find a silver lining in every cloud. :wink:
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Strange Young Man wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:There's a driving double who has a completely different hairstyle from Steed's in season 5. Makes me laugh every time. The body double they used for Diana in the same season had legs not remotely like hers, too. It's quite distracting. I remember reading a Couch Potato commentary of The Hidden Tiger in SFX. "Spot the body doubles. What did The Avengers have against letting their stars outside? Did Patrick Macnee have a clause?"

It was distracting at first, but now I know it's just part of the 60s charm along with the hilarious projected backgrounds while driving. Have to find a silver lining in every cloud. :wink:
Oh, it's all good fun. There's something about sixties series--all the little mistakes are just part of the fabric of the series, and much more forgiveable than similar gaffes today. I think I liek it partly because you can see how they put these shows together with none of the special effects and other tricks today's TV and filmakers have at their disposal. There's something very simple about the TV from that era, and I find it refreshing.

The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
The Gaslight Ghoul wrote:That's right,Rocky Taylor did a lot of the driving stunts too.

Rocky was always the one stuck in the Cybernaut suit, too, wasn't he? (I know that's true for TNA at least, and that he was Gareth's double as well).
I believe it was another stuntman by the name of Terry Richards in the earlier Cybernaught stories.

One of Rocky's earliest appearances in The Avengers was as the student who gets a punch in the nose when he sneaks up on Steed in A Sense Of History.