Murdersville-is this the best season 5 episode?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Got it. Thanks Darren.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Madelow
Nutshell

Post by Madelow »

Hello Rich & all-- Just off the top of my head, I'll say no. But, it is a very good episode, imho, and would be near the top of season five. Most of my feelings have been expressed by the others. Three in particular struck me as spot on the money. Bramford's observation about Mrs. Peel "looked in control in other episodes, but not in this one" is correct, but that adds to the enjoyment in "Murdersville". It doesn't detract from it. Darren's comment about the "lack of fantasy element" also feels right. For me it is a positive, adding to the terrifying effect of the show. In another post, skintp notes that the plan for the episode "was to show that not everything is as demure as it may seem". I agree, and the contrast between that view and the predominant 'fantasy' element of the majority of eps, plays an important role in my enjoyment of "Murdersville". I apologize for being so long winded, but I really enjoyed the previous ideas expressed in your posts. This will be a good place for me. Best wishes, Madelow. :D
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

"Murdersville: is this the best season 5 episode?"

No, but it may be the worst.

(And it's Season 6.)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Madelow wrote:Hello Rich & all-- Just off the top of my head, I'll say no. But, it is a very good episode, imho, and would be near the top of season five. Most of my feelings have been expressed by the others. Three in particular struck me as spot on the money. Bramford's observation about Mrs. Peel "looked in control in other episodes, but not in this one" is correct, but that adds to the enjoyment in "Murdersville". It doesn't detract from it. Darren's comment about the "lack of fantasy element" also feels right. For me it is a positive, adding to the terrifying effect of the show. In another post, skintp notes that the plan for the episode "was to show that not everything is as demure as it may seem". I agree, and the contrast between that view and the predominant 'fantasy' element of the majority of eps, plays an important role in my enjoyment of "Murdersville". I apologize for being so long winded, but I really enjoyed the previous ideas expressed in your posts. This will be a good place for me. Best wishes, Madelow. :D
I'm not a big Season 5 fan (I've nicknamed it "The Silly Season"), but there a few episodes I enjoy. "Murdersville" is one of them.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

For me, it's one of the best for the series 5.
There's definitely something dramatic in the air, we feel sad for Mrs Peel who loses her friend and who's pursued after that by terrible masterminds.
The fight at the end must be watched, when Emma kills Dr Haymes for good. Well done Emma, justice is made. :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
Darren wrote:I have never been able to get into this episode due to the tone. In some ways it's feels too real. The glee that those two guys get from smashing all Paul's stuff and the pure sadistic delight for the sake of it. I suppose in some ways it just feels like it lacks the fantasy element and what we're watching feels like it could be real. And the size of the people involved, a whole village of "ordinary people"! I like a darker element to the odd Avengers episode but I can't get any pleasure from this episode.

I hate that babygrow that Diana has to wear in this episode (the one that changes colour when in a car:)).

It's well made and acted, nice to see Diana Rigg really going for it. I'm not keen on Robert Asher's direction, it lacks the style that I look for in Avengers episodes.

No not a fan of this one.
I have mixed feelings about this one...But I guess if push comes to shove, I like it..sure the plot has holes..but this is the avengers....many shows also had questionable plots glitches...etc

Paul's mate..was a hoot at the pub....enjoying a few pints, and then recoiling in horror, as his boss man's items are smashed to bits..

lotta black humour in the episode...
I still have mixed feelings about this episode...

but the problem is the script...Diana & Patrick, did well with that script.

a lot of black humour and under currents.....
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

Murdersville belongs to my top 5 from the 5th season
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

bramford wrote:
Darren wrote:I hate that babygrow that Diana has to wear in this episode (the one that changes colour when in a car:)).
Same thing happens in Death's Door. :wink:
Darren beat my time in pointing out the color change. Otherwise, wasn't Diana's suit an Emmapeeler?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

malte1982 wrote:Murdersville belongs to my top 5 from the 5th season

Me too. It's an iconic episode in my opinion. 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
PaulGreaves
Thingumajig

Post by PaulGreaves »

I change my mind about this episode SO often and I think it's because, as other posters have said, the tone veers wildly between The Avengers as we know and love it and a darker, more uncomfortable view of how people behave when money is involved.

I watched it last night having read this thread and, to my mind, Mickle and Hubert are mainly responsible for this, taking a sadistic pleasure in tormenting people just because they can. I understand that in real life people can (and do) behave this way, however this is Avengerland (where real life doesn't usually intrude) and my appreciation of this episode varies wildly depending on my mood at the time.

I feel similarly about Verret and Robin in The Bird Who Knew Too Much. They are not quite as 'bad' as Mickle and Hubert but they do tread a fine line between Avenger baddies and Real Life villians.

I think Season 5 has some crackers in it that I would watch before I got around to Murdersville.

The Hidden Tiger, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station, The Joker, Dead Man's Treasure, You Have Just Been Murdered...

I would also like to add that I really can't wait for Seasons 4, 5 and 6 to come out on DVD this year. Then I can ditch these ****ing awful Contender DVDs... (Murdersville has subtitles popping up all over the place randomly. Drives me nuts...)