New UK DVD release of season 2 *SPOILERS WARNING*

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I knew in my gut that holding off buying The Avengers on DVD would pay off eventually. :D

I hope that Honor Blackman does at least one commentary for this set - being on Warlock would be great seeing as it was originally supposed to be Cathy's first story.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

RRP £79.99

Ooh-err ...

:roll: :(
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

As reported by Play, who can wheel out speculative RRPs just to stick it on the system. It may be right, but it might not be.

As they're offering it at £59.99, I would say that's a fair price for what you're going to get. Let's face it, I'd pay that for the telesnaps alone!

People have made comparisons elsewhere, but it shouldn't be forgotten that there will be 28.3 HD restored episodes on this set, and StudioCanal will be asking a fair whack for them. Restoring a series of the length of The Avengers is an expensive undertaking.

Anyway, bottom line: compare it to Doctor Who. Restored episodes, commentaries, filmed extras, PDF materials. Circa £13 for an average of 2.5 hours of restored programme material + extras on the Doctor Who. £60 for 23 hours of restored material + extras with The Avengers. At the Doctor Who rate, The Avengers set would be about double its actual price.

Seems like good value to me.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

That was exactly the price I was expecting, really.
Reasonable, but I'll won't be buying it right away.

By the way, will it have English subtitles?
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

This all sounds amazing.
Can't wait.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Hmm yeah at that price, I might not buy it immediately. Not because I don't think it's worth it, but because it's just a lot of money..
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I think you're spot on there, Philippa. Huge fan I may be, but I will have to think very carefully before I'd fork out £80. I know from past experience I've bought something straight away and put it away. Then by the time I've got around to watch it, it's been marked down and I may as well have waited.

I still have Flightplan to watch, still in it's celophane wrapper marked at £9.99. It's already been shown on TV twice (in fact it was the late night movie only the other night).

My rule now is only buy something you plan to watch straight away.
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Alan wrote: People have made comparisons elsewhere, but it shouldn't be forgotten that there will be 28.3 HD restored episodes on this set
Since they're from 16mm telerecordings of a 405-line viodeo picture, "HD" is meaningless. They'll play on HD televisions but then so will ordinary DVDs. The picture certainly won't be any better than any other early-1960s low-resolution 405-line programme.

Are they VidFIREd?

But it'd be nice if they cleaned up the sound (it can never be modern several-channel stereo of course) or put subtitles on so we can disern all the muffled dialogue - within the limitations of early-60s microphones (or even earlier - most studios did not get brand new equipment until later!).
Last edited by Frankymole on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Darren wrote: TELESNAPS OF LOST EPISODES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It'd be nice if they had all of them (where do the ones on The Avengers Forever come from?), and even perhaps the fan-held missing episode soundtrack...
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I had to look up tele-snaps on Wiki (I thought it was some kind of new snack! 'How odd to give away free munchies with every DVD', I thought, but I digress ... ) and I'm very excited by that. If they had them all, as Frankmole enquires, they could almost make up for the missing episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tele-snaps

There is no VidFIRE on the episodes. I read on Roobarb that very few non-BBC programmes are given this treatment.

Talking of extras/commentaries, etc ... No input from Mr Brian Clemens I see. Unless they're saving this little treat for future releases?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY