Watching the Movie tonight - am I going to be disappointed?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

To be honest, the swearing (even if it was just the one instance) was the only thing in there that I found completely at odds with what makes the Avengers the Avengers. Other than that, in terms of scripting, design and production it's lovely - and great fun. The central casting is a bit cold and that's where its biggest problem lies for me. Two different actors as Steed and Peel and there could have been a different reaction entirely.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There wee two instances of swearing - Eddie Izzard says the eff word and Eileen Atkins says something like 'cocky little 'b-st-rd'. I wasn't offended by Atkins' swearing (indeed she is the best thing in it), but it was still inappropriate in my opinion.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
the_demolished_man
Nutshell

Post by the_demolished_man »

Hiya
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:There wee two instances of swearing - Eddie Izzard says the eff word and Eileen Atkins says something like 'cocky little 'b-st-rd'. I wasn't offended by Atkins' swearing (indeed she is the best thing in it), but it was still inappropriate in my opinion.
I agree about the swearing. I didn't find it offensive, just hugely unnecessary and inappropriate for the Avengers. It would have sounded better for me if Alice had said "Cocky little b-gg-r" (and probably more in character). As for Eddie Izzard, I guess they were trying to make it funny that he's silent for the whole film except for the one word - I would have preferred him to say "Oh, fuuuuuuuuuu......" as he fell, though, which I think would have been funnier and less jarring.

As for Mother - I didn't see the mess on his jacket as dandruff, but cigarette ash. He chain-smoked his cigarettes at a high angle, and Brenda was seen at least once brushing his shoulders. Indeed, at one point I remember seeing his jacket as being extremely dusty. So I guess that seemed realistic.

I wasn't too happy about deWynter's molesting of Emma while she was drugged - I don't mind the villains lusting after her, and even drooling while she's tied up, but that seemed a step too far.

The other thing that seems to annoy people is the kiss, but in the series Steed and Emma had a backstory and a previous relationship. Here they have just met. They are both attractive, available and flirty. It seemed perfectly in character, since Steed had just seen Emma fall possibly to her death, that they would embrace in some way, relieved to be safe and together. However, it had to be done in a way that meant they wouldn't leap into bed later, hence Steed's "scientific test" explanation. It keeps it the right side of flirty.

And can I say that I cheered when the escape pod appeared out of the water to the opening crash chords of the theme tune...

TDM
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

the_demolished_man wrote: The other thing that seems to annoy people is the kiss, but in the series Steed and Emma had a backstory and a previous relationship. Here they have just met. They are both attractive, available and flirty. It seemed perfectly in character, since Steed had just seen Emma fall possibly to her death, that they would embrace in some way, relieved to be safe and together. However, it had to be done in a way that meant they wouldn't leap into bed later, hence Steed's "scientific test" explanation. It keeps it the right side of flirty.

And can I say that I cheered when the escape pod appeared out of the water to the opening crash chords of the theme tune...
Yes, indeed. That theme would've been nice at the start of the film too! Though the pop-art fractals thing they went for was nice too.

As to the kiss (and the boot scene) - I actually thought they generated chemistry; I don't agree that two such accomplished actors were unable to! I did like the character bits. The film has its faults - mainly due to bad editing against the director's wishes - but the acting isn't one of them. I was also annoyed that they made Father such an easily-swayed traitor - seemed a bit sexist having her in the romantic sway of the villain, even if he was Sean Connery!

Best bit of course was Macnee. That was probably inevitable.

If the film shows the first meeting of Steed and Emma, it must precede the TV series (remember, from "The Joker", we know they worked together in the 1950s too - presumably before Dr Keel or Mrs Gale became his regular partner).

Did making "Invisible Jones" visible again involve a body-swap with the Fiennes Steed? Did Emma Peel have plastic surgery? Were there two Mothers in wheelchairs and was Father redeemed? Enquiring minds need to know.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote: The film has its faults - mainly due to bad editing against the director's wishes - but the acting isn't one of them.
Oh it so was. Ralph acted like he was on mogadon with one facial expression. And Uma was still thinking she was in the Batman & Robin movie. Probably.
Frankymole wrote:Best bit of course was Macnee. That was probably inevitable.
I think they just had him in to get his name in the credits and therefore 'legitimise' the project. They probably thought Patrick was in every episode of The Avengers and so he must be in this too. And, like an old uncle you're ashamed of, then hid him away. Waist.
Frankymole wrote:If the film shows the first meeting of Steed and Emma, it must precede the TV series (remember, from "The Joker", we know they worked together in the 1950s too - presumably before Dr Keel or Mrs Gale became his regular partner).
Are you thinking of Don't Look Behind You? I've not seen The Joker in ages, but I don't remember a scene where it was said Emma and Steed worked together in the 50's. She'd have been rather young.

I don't buy Steed and Cathy working togther in the 50's either. If that's in an episode - or indeed Emma and Steed - I'd disregard that as a glitch.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Frankymole wrote:If the film shows the first meeting of Steed and Emma, it must precede the TV series (remember, from "The Joker", we know they worked together in the 1950s too - presumably before Dr Keel or Mrs Gale became his regular partner).
Are you thinking of Don't Look Behind You? I've not seen The Joker in ages, but I don't remember a scene where it was said Emma and Steed worked together in the 50's. She'd have been rather young.

I don't buy Steed and Cathy working togther in the 50's either. If that's in an episode - or indeed Emma and Steed - I'd disregard that as a glitch.
They mention events from ten years before in the Cathy one, the time she pretended to love the villain so they could set him up. The Emma one may have been more vague about the dates, but it was some years before the story "The Joker", Prendergast spent years plotting his revenge, so in any case Steed & Em worked together for a time then were apart then teamed up again after Mrs Gale had gone.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I prefer to think that Steed first met Cathy in Warlock (as in the original script) and that he met Emma after his association with Cathy, but it's all open to individual interpretation.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:There wee two instances of swearing - Eddie Izzard says the eff word and Eileen Atkins says something like 'cocky little 'b-st-rd'. I wasn't offended by Atkins' swearing (indeed she is the best thing in it), but it was still inappropriate in my opinion.
That's if you take 'bastard' as swearing - it's in the dictionary in common use with a specific meaning. Obviously it's used in a derogatory fashion when employed, but I've never considered it a swear word - though my parents obviously did.

Equally, I don't find it out of kink with Avengers style.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Oh please, Alan. Would it ever be use in an episode of The Avengers? No.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Surely the first meeting is to introduce the characters to the audience. The quickest, most convenient way to do so is to have them meet for the first time and each find out who the other one is.

Trying to fit the movie into established continuity when clearly there was no intention to do that on the part of the producers, seems a little futile to me.

It's an alternate Avengers and has no correlation to the series. It's a reboot.

That's my take on it, anyway. I'd say the same for the radio series, the stage play, the books and the comics.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger