The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

I haven't got the 50th Anniversary set myself but I remember people saying at the time how difficult it was to remove the discs. I think some just removed them all and kept them in separate plastic wallets elsewhere so as not to cause damage.

If you use a PC you could download the video software VLC Mediaplayer for free, which doesn't recognise the region codes, connect it to your TV and watch the discs that way:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Might be cheaper than buying a new player.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

thanks Mariocki. I will give that a try.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

mariocki wrote: If you use a PC you could download the video software VLC Mediaplayer for free, which doesn't recognise the region codes, connect it to your TV and watch the discs that way
It is the Windows DVD driver that handles regions not the player. Most will allow a limited number of changes though.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

thanks Nick. So are you saying no download is necessary it will just play on my computer? I will try in any case.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

VLC Media Player should play anything, and it plays my American (region 1) BBC Sherlock Holmes stories I have no luck in playing on my TV-connected DVD player.

But to be honest, DVD players are so cheap now that getting a region-free one should be easy (especially a second hand one via Ebay or the like) so if you prefer to watch on TV instead of on a computer screen, that option should be possible too (and sell your Sony one!).
Last watched: "Concerto"
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

well that sounds like a good idea! Appreciate it! :D
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

I think I will just have to move to England to watch these DVD's! My PC is blocking playing the DVD's. This is torture! Here I finally got Cathy Gale and Ian Hendry episodes that I have never seen before. OK sorry for the Avenger rant.
I guess onto the multiregional DVD and if not an extended trip to Avengerland.... :D
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I feel your agony, anti. I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, and frustratingly the British state broadcaster, the BBC, only let its wonderful 1960s Sherlock Holmes series be released in the USA. So I bought the disks and haven't been able to play them on my DVD player. I was able to play them on my computer - by setting my DVD drive to play Region 1 DVDs - but this means that I can't play any of my UK disks on my computer. Crazy, especially as they don't want to release the series in the UK, so it's not as if they're losing any money from multi-region players/buyers of these disks. It makes me annoyed.

Region-protected disks are a huge anachronism. A lot of the time, you can't get them in any other region anyway, so the entire "reason" for region coding is rendered ridiculous.

You've got the disks, though, so that's a big part of the battle won; and if it's your computer then I'd say just buy a new cheap DVD player (check online for dual region ones). Most modern tellies (on either side of the Atlantic) will accept both PAL and NTSC input, the British and American picture standards, which has been a life-saver. I've been able to watch US disks that are region-free (but not using the UK's 625-line PAL picture standard), like the wonderful Jeremy Brett "Three Musketeers" from the 60s - another British program ludicrously unavailable in the country it was made in!

You will get to see these. Just do some careful searching for an hour or two and order a multi-region player online. It is more than worth it. Then you'll be Avengers-a-go-go! Be warned though: it's a lifetime obsession ;)

They look far better on a TV than on a computer, anyway.
Last watched: "Concerto"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Just get a decrypter like AnyDVD - see videohelp.com - then you can play any region legally.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

How crazy is that to hear you can't even get DVD's from shows produced in your own country? just crazy!

This is one of those Mrs. Peel you're needed moments! :lol:
I really appreciate both of your comments. I am going to check it out. As you say in the end this will be a lifetime obsession! And loving it!