The Complete Avengers: 50th Anniversary Edition (39 Discs)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

Still think you should try VLC in the meantime - connect it to your TV using the HDMI lead off your Blu-ray player, or a spare one if you've got one, and away you go.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Mariocki's right. I'm a big fan of VLC. The only reason I can't use it for UK DVD's on my computer is that the drive hardware is recognised by my PC and it's the hardware setting to region 1 that is stopping me playing region 2... I'll try a decrypter as dissolute recommends.

There are some great British shows which the BBC won't bring out here, as - ironically - the market for old British shows is bigger in the US! That makes the non-release of the restored Avengers there even more bizarre. Perhaps Canal don't know how to market it so that it doesn't get confused with the comic characters of the same name! Makes the German and French decisions to change the title look quite clever, in hindsight!
Last edited by Frankymole on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Concerto"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

mariocki wrote:Still think you should try VLC in the meantime - connect it to your TV using the HDMI lead off your Blu-ray player, or a spare one if you've got one, and away you go.
Thank you for reminding me Mariocki! I have going in circles trying different things that I forgot! Really appreciate the reminder.

Franky, I think these companies must be so out of touch with reality. That is quite bizarre.
On amazon in US they are selling Mrs. Peel box sets only for $500 well over 300GBP. It is annoying but truly delighted that one can at least see the show with perseverance. :D
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
timlamb
Thingumajig

Post by timlamb »

I had bought that set back in 08 I believe for $100 than returned it as rumours circelated that the series was coming to bluray and possibly hddvd. Indeed Studio Canal is sitting on HD masters and has been for quite some time. I don't know who owns the rights to the series in the US if anyone does at all. Studio Canal distributes a lot through Lionsgate or maybe Acorn could pick up the rights. DVD releases for the Cathy Gale episodes and bluray for the Emma Peel and Tara King ones. Especially for a series this iconic and the shows shot on 35mm film it deserves far better than dvd.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Lando wrote:Is the set now out of print?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Avenge ... B00485D7WQ
:shock: :shock:
This is depressing. 264 GBP? I am so glad I got mine back in may when it was affordable--well sort of. Although I hope the German set is still in print. This has got to be a mistake! or at least i hope so!
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

A few lucky people got this for £20 from Amazon a couple of months ago. Sadly, I wasn't so fortunate :(
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Nor was I, though I'd already bought the individual sets. It seems it was a technical error and the set was mistakenly advertised at £20.71 for a few hours. A few lucky people bought it before it was rectified.
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

this is looney. It just went down to 149.99 GBP.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Mariocki's right. I'm a big fan of VLC. The only reason I can't use it for UK DVD's on my computer is that the drive hardware is recognised by my PC and it's the hardware setting to region 1 that is stopping me playing region 2... I'll try a decrypter as dissolute recommends.

There are some great British shows which the BBC won't bring out here, as - ironically - the market for old British shows is bigger in the US! That makes the non-release of the restored Avengers there even more bizarre. Perhaps Canal don't know how to market it so that it doesn't get confused with the comic characters of the same name! Makes the German and French decisions to change the title look quite clever, in hindsight!
canal has been sitting on some decent shows..and i swear , is at odds on how to market and promote.....