Latest episode you've seen..

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Then take a break, when I've come at the point where I don't know which episode to see next. I don't watch Avengers at all for a few months. Because I can really enjoy it when I start watching again.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Watched Sleeper on BBC4 on Thursday.

Loved it all over again. Some lovely sequences between Steed and Gambit. Joanna plays Purdey as though she's really enjoying herself. She has a gorgeous smile on her face throughout the fight sequences. It's wonderfully atmospheric. The Avengers does bleak and deserted locations so well.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Sleeper - New Avengers. Dumb and unecessary reference to Kojak spoils a good episode...
There's a Kojak reference? (Well, I've never watched it. Cop with a lollipop isn't it?)

Sleeper's good because it gives us lots of the Steed/Gambit relationship, but I've never rated it quite as highly as some. I know it's a take on the "abandoned air base" idea of The Hour that Never Was, etc., and it's got lots of good bits, but it's never quite grabbed me as much as other episodes in the season. Joanna's gleeful smile during the car chase is priceless, though.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Sleeper - New Avengers. Dumb and unecessary reference to Kojak spoils a good episode...
There's a Kojak reference? (Well, I've never watched it. Cop with a lollipop isn't it?)

Sleeper's good because it gives us lots of the Steed/Gambit relationship, but I've never rated it quite as highly as some. I know it's a take on the "abandoned air base" idea of The Hour that Never Was, etc., and it's got lots of good bits, but it's never quite grabbed me as much as other episodes in the season. Joanna's gleeful smile during the car chase is priceless, though.
Yes, it is. You can't watch Purdey smirking through the driving scene without smiling back.

"And run and run and run and run.... "

Two daft cops decide to put their Police 'nerr-nerr' on, as one of them says, "If it's good enough for Kojak... "
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

The Big Thinker - Season 2. (Two Bowlers) Although I will watch ANY Avengers episode rather than a so-called "reality" show, this one did not rate very high. The plot seemed rather scattershot to me, and there were two many distracting little errors. Dead mens' eyes don't move. Cathy picked a lock on a door that obviously didn't have a lock. Sure, steel pipes break when you lean on them. Finally, way too many suspicious characters for a 45-minute story.

I'm waiting for the day Cathy trades in that awful leather leisure suit . . . and what was that hairdo? It looked like a funnel cake glued to her head. The hat she chose to cover it occasionaly wasn't much better.

ImageImage
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Yes, it is. You can't watch Purdey smirking through the driving scene without smiling back.

"And run and run and run and run.... "

Two daft cops decide to put their Police 'nerr-nerr' on, as one of them says, "If it's good enough for Kojak... "
Oh, yes, I remember that now. It's been a long time since I watched the episode.

The woman over the radio, with Purdey following along with the breathing exercises, is classic Avengers. I love that she leaves it on and by the time Steed and Gambit find the car it's turned into some soppy romance radio play ("Laura, Laura!"). I always pity the poor guy in the car, though--not only will he wake up with whiplash, but Purdey totalled his car, too. (Though he seems quite happy to sleep on anyone's shoulder, including Gambit, who gets that "why me?" expression he does so well).
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Death of a great Dane.

And yes it took me about 20 minutes before I realised that this was the episode that was later remade as The 50.000 pound Breakfast :lol:
I preferred this one to the remake though. Only it's a shame the sound quality is quite bad at times, this is the first time I had to switch on the Dutch subtitles, and I hate Dutch subtitles for English shows, I'd rather watch them without.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

My father also preferred the original. It is the episode which Macnee claimed saved the show at a point when the future was in the balance.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Esprit de Corps
Quite a good one. TAF rated it 3 bowlers, and I agree with that :)
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

Watched The Three Handed Game on BBC4.

They seemed to have sorted the wobbly sound out at the beginning of the episode.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.