Gareth Hunt

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Mararaboomdiay
Little Wonder

Post by Mararaboomdiay »

Splendig picture, Timeless! Pictures of Joanna in her twenties are nowadays not very rare (since she did so much modelling, obviously) but seeing Gareth in his younger years is just lovely. Thanks for sharing!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:You raise a good point with Gabrielle Drake. No-one who had a small part in the show was ever given a leading part, not even Catherine Woodville AKA poor Peggy (who of course popped her clogs in the first act of Hot Snow) AKA Mrs Patrick Macnee who wanted the Emma Peel role.
Except Patrick Newell, who had two previous parts and still got a regular gig (although that was the Americans who pushed for him, wasn't it?). I didn't know Catherine Woodville was in the running for Emma, though. That would have made it a bit awkward on-set when she split with Patrick after season four, wouldn't it? :shock:

I think Gabrielle Drake would have been my choice had Joanna not ended up doing it. Her chemistry with Gareth is so good that I almost forget about Purdey during her scenes. Almost. :wink: I sometimes wonder if she was the girl he did test number three with (the other two he did with Joanna), and they brought her back based on that, though there's absolutely no record of that anywhere.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Mararaboomdiay wrote:Splendig picture, Timeless! Pictures of Joanna in her twenties are nowadays not very rare (since she did so much modelling, obviously) but seeing Gareth in his younger years is just lovely. Thanks for sharing!
That's what I thought! All of Gareth's early work was on stage, so that's probably the youngest shot we're ever going to get of him. A real treat indeed. :D

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:You raise a good point with Gabrielle Drake. No-one who had a small part in the show was ever given a leading part, not even Catherine Woodville AKA poor Peggy (who of course popped her clogs in the first act of Hot Snow) AKA Mrs Patrick Macnee who wanted the Emma Peel role.
Except Patrick Newell, who had two previous parts and still got a regular gig (although that was the Americans who pushed for him, wasn't it?). I didn't know Catherine Woodville was in the running for Emma, though. That would have made it a bit awkward on-set when she split with Patrick after season four, wouldn't it? :shock:
I'd forgotten about Paddy Newell, bless him.

And I was a bit naughty with Mrs Macnee. In The Avengers And Me Patrick says she wanted to audition, but I think he persuaded her not to. He seemed to balk at the suggestion.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
I'd forgotten about Paddy Newell, bless him.

And I was a bit naughty with Mrs Macnee. In The Avengers And Me Patrick says she wanted to audition, but I think he persuaded her not to. He seemed to balk at the suggestion.
I don't blame him. Considering their marriage, mixing business with their personal relationship would have collapsed both. Just as well he talked her out of it.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

A sought-after series with a guest appearance from Gareth Hunt is appearing on Region 2 DVD:

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... ts_id=1135
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:A sought-after series with a guest appearance from Gareth Hunt is appearing on Region 2 DVD:

And it's pre-TNA, too! The premise sounds good--would you say it's worth getting beyond Gareth? (And has anyone actually seen his bit in this?)

In other Gareth guest-star news, I'm hoping to finally be able to catch his episode of New Tricks in a week's time. They never seem to show it,--I think I've run into Honor's episode three times--but it should be coming up next. Fingers crossed--knowing my luck they'll switch it for Rosemary and Thyme or something the one week I tune in. :lol:

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Frankymole wrote:A sought-after series with a guest appearance from Gareth Hunt is appearing on Region 2 DVD:

And it's pre-TNA, too! The premise sounds good--would you say it's worth getting beyond Gareth? (And has anyone actually seen his bit in this?)
I haven't seen it but the series is highly recommended by fans of 70s thrillers. Its description is intriguing. Reactions to the news are here: http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/xm ... ?tid=20849

I see Gareth pops up in this upcoming release of a 1983 comedy/lighthearted drama thing too, starring Bernard Cribbins (of "Look,Stop Me..." fame): http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... ts_id=1136

I do vaguely remember the series' premise and Cribbins, but not very much about it.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I've never heard of either series. Network do come up with some obscurities which must delight those that watched them many years ago. I wish they'd release the Lawrence Payne/Roger Foss Sexton Blake - the show I turned to after the original run of The Avengers ended.

We must remember that Gareth Hunt was a jobbing actor and so a lot of the shows he appeared in, even after his fame in the Avengers, weren't always starring roles. I don't know if I'd recommend buying a whole series if he only has a guest part in one episode.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

I haven't seen it but the series is highly recommended by fans of 70s thrillers. Its description is intriguing. Reactions to the news are here: http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/xm ... ?tid=20849

I see Gareth pops up in this upcoming release of a 1983 comedy/lighthearted drama thing too, starring Bernard Cribbins (of "Look,Stop Me..." fame): http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info. ... ts_id=1136

I do vaguely remember the series' premise and Cribbins, but not very much about it.
Well, the Mausoleum Club people seem pretty darn excited about it! I'll have to think it over.

There's a whole whack of pictures from the Bernard Cribbins series with Gareth on Rex Features:

http://www.rexfeatures.com/search/?&kw= ... o=GBR&od=G