Remaking the Avengers?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:Not sure how any new novel would beat some of the amazing fan fiction stories Avenger fans have already written over the years. At least, I have gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of reading already penned fan fiction of The Avengers.

Mona
no doubt, as 'star trek' has enjoyed the same kind of 'treatment' as well..
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Question: Do you think for any future Avengers to work, it would need to be set:

- in the 60's
- in the 70's
- or in a time that still looks and feels like the 60's?

The reason I ask is, would the Avengers be able to do what they do in the year 2010, in this world and culture?
sivvy
White Dwarf

Post by sivvy »

Borgus Weems wrote:Question: Do you think for any future Avengers to work, it would need to be set:

- in the 60's
- in the 70's

The reason I ask is, would the Avengers be able to do what they do in the year 2010, in this world and culture?
I think any remake would have to be present day. If it was in the sixties it would need to feature Steed and either Emma or Tara and it would almost have to be a remake and as such the comparisons are doomed to failure IMHO. I think it would be down to to the writers to come up with plots that were far fetched but believable and villians that are quirky and likeable and just the right amount of whimsy. Maybe a light hearted Spooks.

Having said that I feel sure any attempt is bound to be a disappointment.
bobbysteed
Nutshell

From Bobby Steed

Post by bobbysteed »

I think it could be set in The late 1960's. Why not? It wouldn't be hard to do. Look at Life on Mars, set in 1973. It is defintiley doable. The Question to as wheather it could be set in 2010 is another thing. Would Emma carry a Cell Phone? Steed having a Computer in his Flat? Do you think Steed could sill drive his Rolls round the streets of London in Primrose Hill and The Country roads of Elstree? Why not! England is timeless. Would Emma drive her Lotus Elan or have a late Model Lotus? She would still retain her timeless a peel as she is a sophisticated Woman, not some trollop like we see now a days. Emma Peel is a Lady, a strong independent smart woman. Not a Bimbo like the actresses of today. I still say it is possible and watch and see it will come to fruitation maybe not today but in the near future. They have run out of Ideas. The Avenger's will be a classic just like Charles Dickens Novels :D
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

I'm not sure that a remake set in 2010 would work. If there series ever was to return, I would quite like it if it picked up where the original ended - with the further adventures of Steed and Tara. If the show was successful, it could go on to fill in the gap between the Avengers and the New Avengers, possibly introducing new partners along the way (Hannah Wilde from the stage show, maybe) and end with the arrival of Gambit and Purdey.
Paul
bobbysteed
Nutshell

From Bobby Steed

Post by bobbysteed »

That's not a bad idea either, leaving off where it ended with Tara King. The Year would be 1970. It could work. Who would play Tara King? They could still use her home on Chalcot Crescent as it has not changed in over 40 years, I was there last year and took pictures. The entire block has not changed in 40 years! I felt like I was in a Avenger's episode while I was up in Primrose Hill. I had walked down to a pub close by called The Queens and the people were very friendly. I had a Blast in Tara Kings Neighborhood. When I got back to New York I told everyone I went to Tara King's and I got loaded lol :D
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Avengers: The Wilderness Years ? 8)

I think Avengers afficionados might enjoy it but it might confuse the casual viewer.

Actually, we have a show like The Avengers under our noses - Hustle.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

I think Avengers afficionados might enjoy it but it might confuse the casual viewer.
You're probably right - although it might not if the first episode had an introductory sequence (setting out who Steed and Tara are, rather than going into The Avengers history).

As remakes of cult British '60s and 70's TV series have not been particularly successful - the 1980s saint with Simon Dutton, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) in 2000/01 and most recently The Prisoner - I wonder if a remake/continuation actually set in th 60s/70s would have more chance of success.

In reality, no remake is likely to match the original series, but the one remake I really would like to see/hear (which has already been mentioned on this and other threads) is new audio recordings of the lost series one episodes. However, I guess this would be a very niche product and not the kind of thing media companies would be interested in producing.
Paul
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

paulpdjh wrote:In reality, no remake is likely to match the original series, but the one remake I really would like to see/hear (which has already been mentioned on this and other threads) is new audio recordings of the lost series one episodes. However, I guess this would be a very niche product and not the kind of thing media companies would be interested in producing.

That's why I love the BBC because they often cater for many niche tastes - BBC radio more so. I can 'see' ( :P ) a radio series of lost Avengers episodes working. Early British television was often either 'stagey' or like the radio but with moving images. The scrpts would adapt quite well.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Borgus Weems wrote:Question: Do you think for any future Avengers to work, it would need to be set:

- in the 60's
- in the 70's

a tough call...I guess, the modern era..late 1990's, or present day..
don't think doing it was a retro piece-i.e.60's, would work..

then again, depends who is hired as actors, and how good the script is,with a budget to match..anything less, would probably fall flat on it's face..