The Avengers - A 50th Anniversary Celebration

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Ketman
Thingumajig

Post by Ketman »

Great find, Mona. Some of the quotes from Paul O'Grady are choice: "I used to love the fighting. Diana Rigg was quite balletic, but I used to like Tara King because she'd punch them like a man and would have a brick in her handbag."

It told me a few things I didn't know, such as "The show has had a lasting legacy. People like Chris Carter, who invented The X Files, is on record as saying that when he came to the relationship between Mulder and Scully, he wanted to base that on Steed and Emma."

Overall, a good informative article. Good to see The Avengers still getting a lengthy plug like this from time to time.
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

I liked the quote about The Avengers being to television what the Beatles were to music in the'60's. I was around then so I can personally attest to it.

It was really kind of baffling - My American hippie friends and I literally hated everyone over 30 (now I hate everyone under 30) but for some strange reason loved this English gentleman John Steed. In 1967 The Avengers were shown on Saturday afternoons and at the crazy hippie house where I lived, everyone would gather to watch. It was really an event similar to the release of a new Beatles album.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Ketman wrote:
It told me a few things I didn't know, such as "The show has had a lasting legacy. People like Chris Carter, who invented The X Files, is on record as saying that when he came to the relationship between Mulder and Scully, he wanted to base that on Steed and Emma."
I think that quote is very telling because I don't believe Mulder and Scully came near the heightened excellence of the relationship between Steed and Emma. We see again that the charisma and finesse of Macnee and Rigg continually stands out among other shows trying to reach similar male/female relationships, but do not have two characters as complex or interesting, or cannot get the proper mixture of wit, banter, adventure and seriousness flowing so smoothly and naturally all the time. The Avengers was truly unique on television.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dan wrote:I liked the quote about The Avengers being to television what the Beatles were to music in the'60's. I was around then so I can personally attest to it.

It was really kind of baffling - My American hippie friends and I literally hated everyone over 30 (now I hate everyone under 30) but for some strange reason loved this English gentleman John Steed. In 1967 The Avengers were shown on Saturday afternoons and at the crazy hippie house where I lived, everyone would gather to watch. It was really an event similar to the release of a new Beatles album.

peace.love,dope...heh,heh,heh....loved the above comments...Hippie house, indeed !

The relationship between Steed and Mrs.Peel,was very unique. as Mona has pointed out.
There hasn't been anything even close to that in both network-or-cable programs...
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I'll be at the events in Chichester for the weekend. I had a terrible experience when calling because I'm always anxious, I prefer having people in front of me. :lol:
Still, I plan to take photos for the forum (also for DECLASSIFIED) and writing an account for a French website. I will also take photos and give shout-outs to Kim and Gaslight ghoul. :)

Look forward to see Linda and Honor. :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

It will be a very interesting weekend!!

I ask the most stupid questions!
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Thank you Jaz for the DVDs and this exceptional anniversary ! :D
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Oh dear- it would appear Jon Rollason is now not attending. I know Dr King wasn't the most popular character, but it would have been great to hear his perspective on the series.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

There's still Julie Stevens ! :wink:
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Brendan Jones wrote:Oh dear- it would appear Jon Rollason is now not attending. I know Dr King wasn't the most popular character, but it would have been great to hear his perspective on the series.
was their a reason ? health issues ? sorry to hear about this