Any big fans of Tara King?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Linda Thorson was terrific as Tara King. Thorson brought an undeniable freshness to the series. I love the tag scene for "Get-A-Way", where Tara is looking for the supposedly invisible Steed. Charming.

The last couple of Rigg episodes were rather weak, so it seemed natural for a change to occur. Thorson came in and gave the show a fresh look. Season 6 had the best production values, no question about it. Some of the best-ever stories came out of the final season.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

MRotten wrote:
The last couple of Rigg episodes were rather weak, so it seemed natural for a change to occur.
Agree with you, the last Diana Rigg episodes (from the RETURN OF THE CYBERNAUTS to MISSION HIGHLY IMPROBABLE) don't have the magic the rest of series 5 has. That's why I understand Americans consider this part of the show as a new season with the first seven episodes from series 6. Okay, it might also work if the ultimate Rigg episodes formed another season too.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Mona

Post by Mona »

JohnSteedFr wrote: Agree with you, the last Diana Rigg episodes (from the RETURN OF THE CYBERNAUTS to MISSION HIGHLY IMPROBABLE) don't have the magic the rest of series 5 has.
Well, again, different folks enjoyed different shows. I loved Last of the Cybernauts and Mission: Impossible, so I don't consider them that weak at all. If Diana Rigg had stayed the series probably would have continued to be great. That she left and Linda came in, and we got that series, and many excellent episodes was good in and of itself, without comparison to the Rigg series, I think.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

It's not that these episodes are 'weak', they're good but they're not like the previous episodes. The plots are just not the same. :wink:
It's more realistic (MURDERSVILLE, 50,000 Pounds Breakfast, YOU'VE JUST BEEN MURDERED...)
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:
JohnSteedFr wrote: Agree with you, the last Diana Rigg episodes (from the RETURN OF THE CYBERNAUTS to MISSION HIGHLY IMPROBABLE) don't have the magic the rest of series 5 has.
Well, again, different folks enjoyed different shows. I loved Last of the Cybernauts and Mission: Impossible, so I don't consider them that weak at all. If Diana Rigg had stayed the series probably would have continued to be great. That she left and Linda came in, and we got that series, and many excellent episodes was good in and of itself, without comparison to the Rigg series, I think.

Mona
I believe that with the passage of time, Linda's tenure on the show, has been re thought,
and in mostly a positive vein...Initially, years ago, I wasn't a big fan of her arrival,
and was among those being a tad on the snobby side..(duh) but over the years,I
re thought my stand on her era...and begin to see how wrong I was....

Actually, there's some very good episodes..as well as the usual clunker (s)
and the same can be said for the Gale/Peel era as well..
George
Thingumajig

Post by George »

Does anyone know of any desktop wallpapers with Steed and Tara on?:)
"Mrs Peel, we're needed"
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

I'm a big Tara fan. Obv.

<====
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
MRotten wrote:
The last couple of Rigg episodes were rather weak, so it seemed natural for a change to occur.
Agree with you, the last Diana Rigg episodes (from the RETURN OF THE CYBERNAUTS to MISSION HIGHLY IMPROBABLE) don't have the magic the rest of series 5 has. That's why I understand Americans consider this part of the show as a new season with the first seven episodes from series 6. Okay, it might also work if the ultimate Rigg episodes formed another season too.
I concur. I'm not keen on any TV or movie plots concerning miniaturization (Mission....) and the retread of The Cybernauts was unnecessary, as if they had run out of ideas. Peter Cushing as a villian? Heavens, no! I didn't like Who's Who either. These were rather lame and lazy stories that don't hold up well now. The series brightened with the arrival of Thorson, with everyone back in full creative mode.
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

mousemeat wrote:
Mona wrote:

Mona
I believe that with the passage of time, Linda's tenure on the show, has been re thought,
and in mostly a positive vein...Initially, years ago, I wasn't a big fan of her arrival,
and was among those being a tad on the snobby side..(duh) but over the years,I
re thought my stand on her era...and begin to see how wrong I was....

Actually, there's some very good episodes..as well as the usual clunker (s)
and the same can be said for the Gale/Peel era as well..
Especially after seeing the screen tests for Rigg's replacement, it is clear that Thorson was the best pick.
XR40
Nutshell

Post by XR40 »

(In my opinion) Tara and Steed 'ARE' the Avengers. Series 6 is the best, nothing else compares. Better production values, better music, better intro, better storylines, better chemistry, better episode ending scenes, better cars, better...better...better...I sound like a broken record!!!