Angels of Death

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I do love the way Steed changes throughout the "eras", in relation to different partners and changing times bringing about changes in him, and showing different aspects of his evolving character.

This can even happen within eras, with some of the short-term partners he has in episodes or parts of episodes (like Jennifer Croxton, Valerie Van Ost, Julie Stevens, etc).

It'd be boring - and unconvincing - if he always stayed the same.

I have similar feelings about the show itself.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Frankymole wrote:I do love the way Steed changes throughout the "eras", in relation to different partners and changing times bringing about changes in him, and showing different aspects of his evolving character.

This can even happen within eras, with some of the short-term partners he has in episodes or parts of episodes (like Jennifer Croxton, Valerie Van Ost, Julie Stevens, etc).

It's a natural transformation too - I don't feel that he's playing a bunch of disparate versions of the same character, but rather a man who's transformed by his experiences and those he relates to. (Though I still wish we'd had that transformation with Diana Rigg than anyone else).

And having rewatched some of TNA...yeah, Purdey is totally hot for him.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Lhbizness wrote:
Frankymole wrote:I do love the way Steed changes throughout the "eras", in relation to different partners and changing times bringing about changes in him, and showing different aspects of his evolving character.

It's a natural transformation too - I don't feel that he's playing a bunch of disparate versions of the same character, but rather a man who's transformed by his experiences and those he relates to. (Though I still wish we'd had that transformation with Diana Rigg than anyone else).

And having rewatched some of TNA...yeah, Purdey is totally hot for him.
Not as hot as she was for Gambit. :wink:

But seriously, the first half of season 2 doesn't even remotely balance screentime between the leads. Brian Clemens has admitted as much. He did it to appease Patrick. If you watch it objectively, it's pretty obvious.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Not as hot as she was for Gambit. :wink:

But seriously, the first half of season 2 doesn't even remotely balance screentime between the leads. Brian Clemens has admitted as much. He did it to appease Patrick. If you watch it objectively, it's pretty obvious.
OK, I believe you. It just never seemed that way to me - but as I prefer Patrick to Gareth, I would be unlikely to notice. I did notice that Steed gets sidelined a lot in Season 1, which is probably what bothered me the most.

I dunno, though - I don't think Purdey ever invited herself to stay the night at Gambit's flat after a romantic dinner.
Last edited by Lhbizness on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Lhbizness wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Not as hot as she was for Gambit. :wink:

OK, I believe you. It just never seemed that way to me - but as I prefer Patrick to Gareth, I would be unlikely to notice.

I dunno, though - I don't think Purdey ever invited herself to stay the night at Gambit's flat after a romantic dinner.
If you're just watching for Patrick, it might not jump out at you as much, I can see that. But it's there. When I first watched the show, I was mainly watching for Patrick, knowing next to nothing about Gambit at all, and I still noticed it. I remember it seemed weird, even at the time. It reminds me of some of the episodes of The Champions where one of the trio would just wander off during the course of an episode and not come back 'til the end. Things seemed out-of-whack in both cases. :?

The Purdey/Gambit thing I go on about at length, but I know I won't sway you anymore than you will me. All I'll say is that for someone who's not interested in Gambit, Purdey's awfully touchy about him showing an interest in other women (though never seems to care a jot about Steed doing the same), hints that she loves him, kisses him, and touches him an awful lot. 8)

Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The Purdey/Gambit thing I go on about at length, but I know I won't sway you anymore than you will me. All I'll say is that for someone who's not interested in Gambit, Purdey's awfully touchy about him showing an interest in other women (though never seems to care a jot about Steed doing the same), hints that she loves him, kisses him, and touches him an awful lot. 8)
I didn't she wasn't interested in him, just that she was hot for Steed. I may be dense on this, but I'm missing that she ever hints that she's in love with anyone, Gambit or Steed. It seems that Gambit's more concerned about showing her that he's not interested in other women than Purdey is in being jealous.

But, yeah, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Lhbizness wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:The Purdey/Gambit thing I go on about at length, but I know I won't sway you anymore than you will me. All I'll say is that for someone who's not interested in Gambit, Purdey's awfully touchy about him showing an interest in other women (though never seems to care a jot about Steed doing the same), hints that she loves him, kisses him, and touches him an awful lot. 8)
I didn't she wasn't interested in him, just that she was hot for Steed. I may be dense on this, but I'm missing that she ever hints that she's in love with anyone, Gambit or Steed. It seems that Gambit's more concerned about showing her that he's not interested in other women than Purdey is in being jealous.

But, yeah, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you.
I don't deny that she's interested in Steed, but more that it's a passing fancy than anything with any particular substance, whereas there's more going on when it comes to Gambit. She's definitely jealous when it comes to Gambit, though--she's not happy about his interest in Dr. LeParge, or the idea of him going to meet Olga on his own, to name just two. And she quizzes him about all the rumours she's heard about his love life in To Catch a Rat. If she wasn't interested, why would she care one way or another? But I won't belabour it further.

Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote: The Purdey/Gambit thing I go on about at length, but I know I won't sway you anymore than you will me. All I'll say is that for someone who's not interested in Gambit, Purdey's awfully touchy about him showing an interest in other women (though never seems to care a jot about Steed doing the same), hints that she loves him, kisses him, and touches him an awful lot. 8)
Purdey never got undressed in front of Steed either, or stepped on his tummy in revenge :) She also seems to tell Gambit that she loves him (drowned out by the car noise) in "Target!".

Personally, I think Purdey was interested in both Steed and Gambit. Maybe after Larry she was no longer a one-man woman. I don't think S&G would've minded sharing her life with another man. Steed was always pretty open-minded. Probably they'd alternate days/weeks/months?
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I don't deny that she's interested in Steed, but more that it's a passing fancy than anything with any particular substance, whereas there's more going on when it comes to Gambit. She's definitely jealous when it comes to Gambit, though--she's not happy about his interest in Dr. LeParge, or the idea of him going to meet Olga on his own, to name just two. And she quizzes him about all the rumours she's heard about his love life in To Catch a Rat. If she wasn't interested, why would she care one way or another? But I won't belabour it further.
I just...don't see it. I mean, I see it, but I see a deeper attraction between her and Steed. Maybe it all comes back to my own issues with Gambit and what I perceive as his smarminess (not certain that's a word, but I'm using it!). Steed, while still a ladies' man beyond a shadow of a doubt, has a bit more smoothness and gentility when it comes to women - he cycles through girlfriends, but he seems to treat them all decently (I maintain he's constantly searching for a Mrs. Peel, but that's another story). Maybe Purdey perceives him as a challenge, whereas Gambit would be really easy. But considering it, I honestly don't think she's properly in love with either of them.

Whatever - I find it interesting to talk about, even if not much is going to change in perspective.
Personally, I think Purdey was interested in both Steed and Gambit. Maybe after Larry she was no longer a one-man woman. I don't think S&G would've minded sharing her life with another man. Steed was always pretty open-minded. Probably they'd alternate days/weeks/months?
Hehe. I think Gambit would've freaked.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Lhbizness wrote: I just...don't see it. I mean, I see it, but I see a deeper attraction between her and Steed. Maybe it all comes back to my own issues with Gambit and what I perceive as his smarminess (not certain that's a word, but I'm using it!). Steed, while still a ladies' man beyond a shadow of a doubt, has a bit more smoothness and gentility when it comes to women - he cycles through girlfriends, but he seems to treat them all decently (I maintain he's constantly searching for a Mrs. Peel, but that's another story).
The Steed of Seasons 1-2, and to some extent 3, was quite different... now he was easy!

Wasn't Gambit a "free love" kind of guy? They even had a section of The Avengers Dossier on "Gambit's Conquests"! And he teased Purdey about his "under... cover" work. Perhaps he's a hypocrite? :D
Last edited by Frankymole on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.