Season 5: Another Creative Idea

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Of course you may. He's not nearly as good in the colour episode, but then nor was the material. I always think of The Fear Merchants as a great idea poorly executed.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Episodes remaining:
The Bird Who Knew Too Much
From Venus with Love
The See-Through Man
The Living Dead
Never, Never Say Die
The Superlative Seven
Dead Man’s Treasure
The Positive Negative Man
Mission…Highly Improbable
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:Episodes remaining:
The Bird Who Knew Too Much
From Venus with Love
The See-Through Man
The Living Dead
Never, Never Say Die
The Superlative Seven
Dead Man’s Treasure
The Positive Negative Man
Mission…Highly Improbable
interesting choices...ying and yang...i always like dead man's treasure and the positive negative episodes...from that time frame
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

Rodders wrote:Of course you may. He's not nearly as good in the colour episode, but then nor was the material. I always think of The Fear Merchants as a great idea poorly executed.
I'm not sure I entirely agree, but I think comparing his two episodes will shine some light on the differences between the B/W and colour Emma Peel seasons - or at least that's what I'm hoping ! Meanwhile, back to the cake tasting....
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Just finished watching season 5 on the dvd box set, and I was mightily impressed with the last 2 episodes. Positive negative man I've always loved, but Mission was so much better than I remembered. 8) Great fun! I'm sure someone will do them justice. Rich.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

cyberrich wrote:Just finished watching season 5 on the dvd box set, and I was mightily impressed with the last 2 episodes. Positive negative man I've always loved, but Mission was so much better than I remembered. 8) Great fun! I'm sure someone will do them justice. Rich.
Is that a half-hearted offer to take one or both of these on?! After your wonderful chapter on The Cybernauts, why not?!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Rodders wrote:
cyberrich wrote:Just finished watching season 5 on the dvd box set, and I was mightily impressed with the last 2 episodes. Positive negative man I've always loved, but Mission was so much better than I remembered. 8) Great fun! I'm sure someone will do them justice. Rich.
Is that a half-hearted offer to take one or both of these on?! After your wonderful chapter on The Cybernauts, why not?!
Thanks Rodney, but time constraints will probably mean I can only manage Epic.
Season 5 surprisingly comes in for undue criticism on this forum. I say undue, as it's such a wonderful season. Very different to the previous seasons admittedly, but terrific fun. Tying for 2nd best season with season 6 IMHO. 8) Rich.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Series 5 is and always will be my favourite.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

dissolute wrote:Diabolical Masterminds is a good title, as is (showing my bias) We're Needed!
DM would win the casual interest stakes, I suspect, but doesn't the phrase first get used in "A Surfeit of H2O"?
Yes, that's the problem with it. Subversive Champagne came from a cut line in that season and Bright Horizons can only mean Season 4. Maybe Mrs Peel - We're needed is the only solution!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I have been inundated with PMs and e-mails. Mrs Peel, We're Needed is the (working) title then.