The Avengers will be on the True Entertainment channel

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

anti-clockwise wrote:
MikeR wrote:Watched The Superlative Seven last night on True and enjoyed it. It happened to be on and I had promised myself when its author Brian Clemens passed away that I would watch one of his episodes. Nice idea that owed its origin to Agatha Christie, but Clemens added his own twist to it and it worked perfectly.

Just a shame about the opening and closing tag scenes, which go too far towards fantasy for my liking.
A great cast but unfortunately not the best episode. But do love the Agatha Christie take off. Besides the tags is there anything you can think of that would have improved the episode? I always loved the idea but somehow it did not quite flow for me.
Margo

I personally cannot think of anyway to improve this episode, apart from the tag scenes. It was a reworking of the Blackman episode Dressed to Kill, which is one of my favourate videotaped episodes. I think I'm right in saying that the fight scene in Dressed to kill between Blackman and stuntman Frank Maher left him with a bloody lip, accidentally of course.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Darren wrote: I do love the umbrella scene. Oh and I was convinced that the blonde guy in that scene must be a brother of Julian Glover as they looked and even sounded so much alike!
Yes, I always think it's Glover when he first shows up! Talk about separated at birth...

I prefer "Dressed To Kill" to "The Superlative Seven", I could watch that endlessly. I've probably watched it more than any other episode. The remake isn't bad, the cast is amazing, it just errs a bit too much on the unrealistic side for me, especially the studio "outdoors" sets.
Last watched: "Concerto"
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Watched Murdersville last night on True Entertainment and was surprised to see at least two cuts to the episode. The first was the Mrs Peel fight with Dr Haymes and the second the impact killing of Haymes by Mrs Peel with a javelin in the library.

I'm fairly sure there were no cuts on first transmission and on later broadcasts, in fact, I can't remember seeing any cuts to this episode until now. A Touch of Brimstone looked ok but I wonder how many other episodes have been edited.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

mrs_emma_peel wrote:Watched Murdersville last night on True Entertainment and was surprised to see at least two cuts to the episode. The first was the Mrs Peel fight with Dr Haymes and the second the impact killing of Haymes by Mrs Peel with a javelin in the library.

I'm fairly sure there were no cuts on first transmission and on later broadcasts, in fact, I can't remember seeing any cuts to this episode until now. A Touch of Brimstone looked ok but I wonder how many other episodes have been edited.
commercials are getting longer and longer... :roll:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

mrs_emma_peel wrote:Watched Murdersville last night on True Entertainment and was surprised to see at least two cuts to the episode. The first was the Mrs Peel fight with Dr Haymes and the second the impact killing of Haymes by Mrs Peel with a javelin in the library.

As a fact, abridged versions of episodes from Season 5 were made initially in Britain in the 1960s. These variants were sold in some countries, where were certain conditions of program broadcast on TV, but it is possible that the British themselves have used these variants for some runs.

Episodes aired in Russia in the mid-1990s, are same versions that been shown in France in the early 1990s and then I read somewhere that probably these French versions are original cuts.
If we will based on it, then original shortened version of the episode Murdersville presents the following:

Time: 47min 23sec (PAL)
Cuts:
1. Emma walks in the countryside (26:35 - 27:03)
2. Talking in the Library (27:14 - 27:52)
Denis
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

I was a little surprised when Emma suddenly spat out some water. I then noticed she was wet and we were at the village pond. We saw a lot of Emma being wet but all the scenes of her under the water had been cut.
Last watched : Intercrime
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

It's a very unpleasant scene and the director was very unhappy about filming it at all.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Watched All Done With Mirrors last night on TE - first time I'd seen it in years and I was immensely impressed. It was like seeing a completely new Tara King series: her character was clever and astute. Her appearance and wardrobe was so much better - especially with her own hair - no wigs.

Loved Steed's reaction to the voluptuous Rhonda in swimsuit. Maybe they should have expanded her role?

Linda Thorson's acting was relaxed, confident and self assured. Her physicality performing judo, karate and kung-fu was a revelation. Easily the finest acting and athletic performance I've seen from her.

The screenplay was excellent - inventive, clever and witty dialogue and a truly spectacular extended martial arts fight scene from director and choreographer Ray Austin to rival Mrs Gale and Mrs Peel at their best.

I'd forgotten just how very good Mirrors is. Mysterious lighthouses invariably make for good story-lines.
This must be arguably the best Tara episode of the series?

Thoroughly enjoyable - I must watch it again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azqKboWMZ5g
James/Mrs Emma Peel
DerekD
Little Wonder

Post by DerekD »

I agree. It's a good episode and Linda is frequently underrated. She's certainly far more convincing in physical situations than Diana.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

mrs_emma_peel wrote:Watched All Done With Mirrors last night on TE - first time I'd seen it in years and I was immensely impressed.
This must be arguably the best Tara episode of the series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azqKboWMZ5g
One of the best, but as Steed is absent almost throughout, I still prefer Stay Tuned.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art