Patrick Macnee

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

kim wrote:Patrick Macnee was John Steed. No other actor could have portrayed him so well. In my opinion, putting John Steed in the hands of another actor would have probably killed off the series during the Gale era at the earliest or during the B/W Peel era at the latest.

And no one now is every going to be able to replicate Macnee's Steed. It can't be done.
I agree, Kim! Patrick was a great choice to be Steed. He played the role with such perfection, that no one will ever come close. And since Patrick stayed with the show for so long, he must have really enjoyed being Steed.
Allen
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

One of the problems with people who had worked on The Avengers talking about the show is that there was an official party line or version of Avengers history which writers, directors, producers and actors had to follow. The truth was nearly always hidden. My father has admitted that he was as guilty as anyone else. This is why we get mutually agreed lies for why Elizabeth Shepherd was sacked, why established writers or directors left the show or rewrote previous scripts etc. No one has as yet written an honest appraisal of the show's fascinating history and soon it will be too late.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

the truth is coming ?

Post by mousemeat »

Rodney wrote:One of the problems with people who had worked on The Avengers talking about the show is that there was an official party line or version of Avengers history which writers, directors, producers and actors had to follow. The truth was nearly always hidden. My father has admitted that he was as guilty as anyone else. This is why we get mutually agreed lies for why Elizabeth Shepherd was sacked, why established writers or directors left the show or rewrote previous scripts etc. No one has as yet written an honest appraisal of the show's fascinating history and soon it will be too late.
perhaps someone could cobble together something, to get the ball rolling..

I suspect, it'll probably will never happen...perhaps a code of honor ?

I'm not looking for dirt, but some facts with meat on dah bones, if one catches my drift..
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Rodney wrote:One of the problems with people who had worked on The Avengers talking about the show is that there was an official party line or version of Avengers history which writers, directors, producers and actors had to follow. The truth was nearly always hidden. My father has admitted that he was as guilty as anyone else. This is why we get mutually agreed lies for why Elizabeth Shepherd was sacked, why established writers or directors left the show or rewrote previous scripts etc. No one has as yet written an honest appraisal of the show's fascinating history and soon it will be too late.
Were the "agreed" upon versions done to avoid law suits or just out of respect for various people? Patrick Macnee stated in his book that he had several anecdotes in regards to his various co-stars, but they threatened to sue him if he published them. I realize, of course, that he could have been joking, but you bring up the interesting point of the "party line" and now I think maybe because of the rules he was/is still reluctant to say anything else.

It is too bad that we may never know the "whole truth", because I'm quite sure there are several wonderful things to learn that wouldn't be considered malicious or could be subjected to a law suit.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

I find it amazing that nothing has been said or leaked out over the years but I'm sure that has happened with other TV shows too. In today's world with the all media and internet, I doubt any new TV show could keep that many secrets from the public for so long.
Allen
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

But was Peter Graham Scott lying about the reasons for Shepherd's sacking in 2005 in front of a group of Prisoner fans, I mean he was 82 and hardly had reason to lie (being long retired) - the things he said about both Elizabeth Shepherd and Patrick Macnee were at times almost scandalous and wouldn't have made him popualr with them, if they'd heard them!
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I don't know what he (Peter Graham Scott) said. The truth behind Shepherd's departure is that she was having an affair with Ray Austin the stuntman and I only know this because Clemens and my father were out on a recce for Avengers locations and he stopped the car on the way back to London to warn my father that the actress would have to be sacked. I asked my father why she had to go rather than Austin but my father doesn't remember whether it was sexism or another reason. Her dismissal had nothing to do with her not being Avengerish enough or wanting to change the dialogue.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I don't doubt your word Rodney, but if that's true it's a crying shame and typical of how uptight the Brits were at the time.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

truth is stranger than fiction at times

Post by mousemeat »

Rodney wrote:I don't know what he (Peter Graham Scott) said. The truth behind Shepherd's departure is that she was having an affair with Ray Austin the stuntman and I only know this because Clemens and my father were out on a recce for Avengers locations and he stopped the car on the way back to London to warn my father that the actress would have to be sacked. I asked my father why she had to go rather than Austin but my father doesn't remember whether it was sexism or another reason. Her dismissal had nothing to do with her not being Avengerish enough or wanting to change the dialogue.
I could certainly believe that story...keep in mind, Diana Rigg complained greatly, than she was being PAYED less than the camera men..

if that's true...a shame...perhaps MS. Shephard would have been great as Emma Peel..we will never know for certain, unless her missing episode turns up...and even at that, one episode, is hardly ehough to make a valued judgement call..for the most part..
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I can understand why the truth has never been revealed but I do not understand why the new lead had to go, rather than the stuntman. It's a shame my father does not know the full answer. Perhaps it simply gave the production team an excuse to make the change.