Murdersville-is this the best season 5 episode?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

I wouldn't say this episode is the best, but it is good entertainment. I think focusing on Emma hilariously running around in an open field under the bad guys' helicopter when a very wooded forest, where a helicopter cannot go, is about 30 feet away, does righteously require some playful comment. ;-)

I think it is kind of fun to see the areas where Emma is not that brilliant, as it is flawed humanity which is most interesting to me. After all, Emma does a couple of other humorous actions outside of that Murdersville scene--she grabs the side of an electric car after Steed told her that when HE grabbed the side of an electric car it knocked him out (Positive-Negative Man), and it knocks her out; she apparently walks around in boots full of sand for hours, not thinking it strange (The Masterminds); she spends DAYS at the keep-fit school and cannot figure out what's going on, when Steed figures out who is doing the ventriloquism about 5 seconds after walking into the room (How To Succeed...At Murder). So, it's nice seeing Emma humanized--it makes her character more approachable to me.

And to show my Avengers fairness, yes, Steed does dip his hand into the Silent Dust toxic powder and shovel some into an envelope. Then, a minute later, he uses that unwashed same hand to scoop up an apple and eat it, toxic powder and all. ;-) If nothing else, we learn that Steed has an amazing constitution....after all, that rash act is followed by a noticeable lack of attention which winds up getting him shot in the shoulder, after which he runs into an animal trap! Well, at least there weren't any helicopters around.... ;-) ;-)

And yes, in TNA "Return of the Cybernauts", Steed did also stand directly in front of the quickly head-whacking cybernaut, only to be, well, quickly head-whacked....again...head-shaking angst for any Steed fan to watch! ;-) Our man should have known to duck!
Last edited by Mona on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:I wouldn't say this episode is the best, but it is good entertainment. I think focusing on Emma hilariously running around in in an open field under the bad guys' helicopter when a very wooded forest, where a helicopter cannot go, is about 30 feet away, does righteously require some playful comment. ;-)

I think it is kind of fun to see the areas where Emma is not that brilliant, as it is flawed humanity which is most interesting to me. After all, Emma does a couple of other humorous actions outside of that Murdersville scene--she grabs the side of an electric car after Steed told her that when HE grabbed the side of an electric car it knocked him out (Positive-Negative Man), and it knocks her out; she apparently walks around in boots full of sand for hours, not thinking it strange (The Masterminds); she spends DAYS at the keep-fit school and cannot figure out what's going on, when Steed figures out who is doing the ventriloquism about 5 seconds after walking into the room (How To Succeed...At Murder). So, it's nice seeing Emma humanized--it makes her character more approachable to me.

And to show my Avengers fairness, yes, Steed does dip his hand into the Silent Dust toxic powder and shovel some into an envelope. Then, a minute later, he uses that unwashed same hand to scoop up an apple and eat it, toxic powder and all. ;-) If nothing else, we learn that Steed has an amazing constitution....after all, that rash act is followed by a noticeable lack of attention which winds up getting him shot in the shoulder, after which he runs into an animal trap! Well, at least there weren't any helicopters around.... ;-) ;-)

And yes, in TNA "Return of the Avengers", Steed did also stand directly in front of the quickly hand-smacking cybernauts, only to be, well, quickly hand-smacked....again...head-shaking angst for any Steed fan to watch! ;-) Our man should have known to duck!
duck..or hold out for a better script !!!
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

This query may have already been addressed in this thread or elsewhere, and if so please pardon.

The scene in the reading room early on when the murder occurs and no one interrupts reading...there is a woman, back to the camera, wearing a yellow dress who has the build of Diana as well as her hair color and cut. Was the lady Cyd?
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:I wouldn't say this episode is the best, but it is good entertainment. I think focusing on Emma hilariously running around in an open field under the bad guys' helicopter when a very wooded forest, where a helicopter cannot go, is about 30 feet away, does righteously require some playful comment. ;-)

And yes, in TNA "Return of the Cybernauts", Steed did also stand directly in front of the quickly head-whacking cybernaut, only to be, well, quickly head-whacked....again...head-shaking angst for any Steed fan to watch! ;-) Our man should have known to duck!
well a lot of gaffes....still, it's an interesting episode,maybe not one of the top ten, but
good nontheless....(LOL)
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Well in my view it ranks at the lower end of my top ten for that season, but on the whole that's more a reflection of the season as a whole. It takes a bit too long to get going, Mrs Peel becoming terminally stupid and its uneven tone, but compared to some of the other episodes that season it stands head and shoulders above them.
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

I rate Murdersville 4th from that season, after Death's Door, Return of the Cybernauts, and The Joker. It is very atmospheric, similar to some of the black and white episodes like The Town of No Return.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Dan wrote:I rate Murdersville 4th from that season, after Death's Door, Return of the Cybernauts, and The Joker. It is very atmospheric, similar to some of the black and white episodes like The Town of No Return.
all in all, the episode, holds up well...despite some problems with the script.

think it would have played better in the monochrome period...
why bother
Thingumajig

Post by why bother »

I love this episode. This episode was was the first one I ever remember seeing, and I've been hooked on the show ever since.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

lostntime wrote:This query may have already been addressed in this thread or elsewhere, and if so please pardon.

The scene in the reading room early on when the murder occurs and no one interrupts reading...there is a woman, back to the camera, wearing a yellow dress who has the build of Diana as well as her hair color and cut. Was the lady Cyd?
Good question! We never see her face. I don't *think* it's Cyd Child but I've been wrong before.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Vic Flange
Nutshell

Post by Vic Flange »

I absolutely love this episode, so much so that I had my wedding party in The Greyhound pub (which is actually a very good restaurant and pub now!)........The table names were different Avengers characters and all in was a great day!
The weather was lovely and the whole place (Aldbury 10 mins from my house), almost unchanged, evoked that eerie charm of the episode!

Sorry but Murdersville has a big place in my heart! :D
Last Watched:Super Secret Cypher Snatch