The Avengers Declassified - TheAvengers.TV Website

Brollies, bowlers and boots (kinky, of course) are just a mouse click away. Tell us what Avengerish things you have found on the web.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Frankymole wrote:http://declassified.theavengers.tv/whats_new.htm
Marvellous episode pages, and you're totally right about TNA being underrated - but "The Midas Touch" better than "Target!"? Never, I say!
Before this week, I'd have said the same. I've always loved Target, but rewatching the series, probably for the first time in ten years, I'm finding myself surprised by what seems to work, and what doesn't. Target looks marvellous but feels lightweight to me. It has some great set pieces but doesn't hold together as well as I remember. Not that I don't still love it! :D
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Alan wrote:
Marvellous episode pages, and you're totally right about TNA being underrated - but "The Midas Touch" better than "Target!"? Never, I say!
Before this week, I'd have said the same. I've always loved Target, but rewatching the series, probably for the first time in ten years, I'm finding myself surprised by what seems to work, and what doesn't. Target looks marvellous but feels lightweight to me. It has some great set pieces but doesn't hold together as well as I remember. Not that I don't still love it! :D
I loved your little TNA "sermon" as well, Alan (talk about preaching to the converted :wink: ), and I've been having great fun reading your episode summaries, especially the trivia. You've unearthed a few things I didn't know about.

I watched Target for the first time in awhile a few weeks back, too, and for me the main weakness is how ridiculously long it takes Steed, Purdey, and Gambit to put the pieces together. But it doesn't matter when there's so much great character interaction going on, and the action setpieces really do make it. Watching it again, I was amazed at just how incredibly fit Gareth and Joanna were, and how much they actually did. After all those obvious stunt doubles in so many series, it's a wonder to behold. Midas Touch is a good one, too, though.

Keep up the good work, Alan! :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I loved your little TNA "sermon" as well, Alan (talk about preaching to the converted :wink: ), and I've been having great fun reading your episode summaries, especially the trivia. You've unearthed a few things I didn't know about.
Delighted to have furrowed some uncharted waters! ;)
I watched Target for the first time in awhile a few weeks back, too, and for me the main weakness is how ridiculously long it takes Steed, Purdey, and Gambit to put the pieces together. But it doesn't matter when there's so much great character interaction going on, and the action setpieces really do make it. Watching it again, I was amazed at just how incredibly fit Gareth and Joanna were, and how much they actually did. After all those obvious stunt doubles in so many series, it's a wonder to behold. Midas Touch is a good one, too, though.

Keep up the good work, Alan! :D
With people saying such nice things, I have every motivation! :D

And I think perhaps I've been a little hard, at least in terms of my percentage rating, on Target. It'll get a small boost in the next update, but I still think it's a less effective episode than Midas, I'm afraid, Franky.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Alan wrote:
Interestingly (or not?), I initially disliked "Midas" a lot (yes, I even preferred "Gnaws" at points) but oddly every time I watch it I find more and more to like. There's some quite subtle stuff going on, and it's the first episode to heavily feature the "cost of the game" from Steed' point of view (Freddie's self-destruction, almost-redemption, and destruction by others). Laying out the stall for the 70s 'growing up' version of The Avengers, taking responsibilty after the mid-60s frivoloty perhaps :)

Fun anyway.

A big shock reading your site was realising Purdey's stepfather "The Bishop" was played by the same actor who was the comedy/scary Caesar Nero in "Doctor Who" in 1964!! I never noticed that before. Wonderful!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

I'm really enjoying reading through all the stuff on your website Alan. Especially the TNA trivia per episode :D
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Frankymole wrote:(yes, I even preferred "Gnaws" at points)
I've always been inordinately fond of "Gnaws", but I do realise I'm in a minority! :D
A big shock reading your site was realising Purdey's stepfather "The Bishop" was played by the same actor who was the comedy/scary Caesar Nero in "Doctor Who" in 1964!! I never noticed that before. Wonderful!
Even more of a shock to see him deliver a Purdey kick to Roland's assailant! Brilliant!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Philippa wrote:I'm really enjoying reading through all the stuff on your website Alan. Especially the TNA trivia per episode :D
Thanks, Philippa! 8)

The page for "Faces" has just gone up - clicky!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Alan wrote:
Philippa wrote:I'm really enjoying reading through all the stuff on your website Alan. Especially the TNA trivia per episode :D
Thanks, Philippa! 8)

The page for "Faces" has just gone up - clicky!
I have to say I agreed with every bit of your Faces analysis. Half the fun comes from the fact that the actors are clearly having fun, particularly Gareth and Joanna. Reminds me of Patrick and Diana in Who's Who?, though I think Joanna wins in the "obnoxiously slurping gum" stakes (no wonder Gambit looks like he's plotting Lolita's murder! :D )

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Another update tonight - probably the last for a few days. This time it's an episode guide page for The Tale of the Big Why. Not one of my favourite episodes, I'm afraid (this is definitely one where David K Smith and I disagree wildly!):

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/tna_170_big_why.htm

Here's David's page, for a bit of balance!

http://theavengers.tv/forever/newave-8.htm
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Alan wrote:Another update tonight - probably the last for a few days. This time it's an episode guide page for The Tale of the Big Why. Not one of my favourite episodes, I'm afraid (this is definitely one where David K Smith and I disagree wildly!):

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/tna_170_big_why.htm

Here's David's page, for a bit of balance!

http://theavengers.tv/forever/newave-8.htm
I've never been big on Tale, either, and I struggle to figure out why it's generally so well-liked. I don't hate it, but there are lots of episodes in season one I'd pick before this one. Thanks for the update, Alan! :D