Season 4: A creative idea

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Mine arrived about half an hour ago - it looks beautiful. Jaz's cover is a humdinger in real life! Rodney's text is splendidly presented, laid out with sufficient spacing in a clear and readable font. Very smart-looking book.

I'm having great fun flipping about all over the place, as is my wont. First the introductory epigraphs and Roger Marshall's foreword, and the contributor bios (because I'm nosy, and especially like to know about the broad range of fans attracted to the appeal of the shows I love). The scene is set perfectly by the two Marshalls and, with the insight given by them, I am getting even more excited about the book!

Then the afterword, which I'm on now: my goodness, but page 299 really explains the atmosphere of The Avengers in a way I've never seen in print before. The first and most gripping thing I experienced about the series was the intense grip of the mysterious, menacing atmosphere. Rodney explains it brilliantly here, and in other references to Avengerland being a state of mind as much as a place. This gives insight into how the series' creative production personnel made it so.

I have to go to Timeless's essays of course (or of golf course ;))... and how delicious that she started The Thirteenth Hole one with a quote from The New Avengers. Now to devour the rest of her work, and everyone else's - but I had a nagging thought in my mnind as I started reading... I suspect this book is going to make me want to watch all of this season all over again (some episodes probably more than once), inspired by the essays and curious to catch all the things I keep missing!
Last edited by Frankymole on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:Mine arrived about half an hour ago - it looks beautiful. Jaz's cover is a humdinger in real life! Rodney's text is splendidly presented, laid out with sufficient spacing in a clear and readable font. Very smart-looking book.

I'm having great fun flipping about all over the place, as is my wont. First the introductory epigraphs and Roger Marshall's preface, and the contributor bios (because I'm nosy, and especially like to know about the broad range of fans attracted to the appeal of the shows I love). The scene is set perfectly by the two Marshalls and, with the insight given by them, I am getting even more excited about the book!

Then the afterword, which I'm on now: my goodness, but page 299 really explains the atmosphere of The Avengers in a way I've never seen in print before. The first and most gripping thing I experienced about the series was the intense grip of the mysterious, menacing atmosphere. Rodney explains it brilliantly here, and in other references to Avengerland being a state of mind as much as a place. This gives insight into how the series' creative production personnel made it so.

I have to go to Timeless's essays of course (or of golf course ;))... and how delicious that she started the Thriteenth Hole one with a quote from The New Avengers. Now to devour the rest of her work, and everyone else's - but I had a nagging thought in my mnind as I started reading... I suspect this book is going to make me want to watch all of this season all over again (some episodes probably more than once), inspired by the essays and curious to catch all the things I keep missing!
Oh, you're making me jealous! I can't wait to get mine and read all the chapters and foreword/afterword. Lots of good stuff waiting for me I can tell.

Very flattered you've gone to one of my chapters earlier on. :D I shall be returning the compliment when I get the book and going for one of yours off the top. I went back and forth on using the TNA quote given that it's an Emma book, but it so perfectly encapsulated one of my points that I just had to use it. When we do the TNA book, I'll probably wind up citing the Emma era, so it all evens out. :wink:

I think the book will spark lots of rewatching, definitely. That's one of the brilliant things about it. Now to hope Canada Post is relatively snappy with their delivery. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Did you order from Amazon Canada? If so I guess it'll arrive pretty sharpish. I did go for Express delivery almost as soon as the book became available, which was expensive but I need some instant(ish) gratification especially after the work week I've had...

I'm prouder of one of my essays than the other, but I don't know if anyone will guess which one or why!

The wonderful thing now is I can stop fretting about mine and luxuriate in so many other viewpoints on the rest. It's clear that like most of The Avengers, this book's writing has both style and substance, in abundance.

Well I've just eaten lunch, so back to the book :) I'll read very slowly so you don't have to jealous :)
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:Did you order from Amazon Canada? If so I guess it'll arrive pretty sharpish. I did go for Express delivery almost as soon as the book became available, which was expensive but I need some instant(ish) gratification especially after the work week I've had...

I'm prouder of one of my essays than the other, but I don't know if anyone will guess which one or why!

The wonderful thing now is I can stop fretting about mine and luxuriate in so many other viewpoints on the rest. It's clear that like most of The Avengers, this book's writing has both style and substance, in abundance.

Well I've just eaten lunch, so back to the book :) I'll read very slowly so you don't have to jealous :)
I ordered it off Amazon.co.uk, as it's not listed on Amazon.ca. But things from Britain arrive pretty sharpish here--usually within a week unless Canada Post is being particularly difficult. I don't order from the US site unless it's absolutely not available anywhere else, as it takes an absolute age to get here. I have no idea why it takes longer to get something from just over the 49th parallel than across the whole of the Atlantic. I'm calling it a Commonwealth perk. :)

I'm sure both your essays are excellent, and I shall enjoy them. Don't hold back on my account--I'll make a good catch-up effort when I get mine. :wink:

Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I've read four of five of the chapters now - not in order. Oh, what a high standard! Lovely work.

I really loved your contributions, Timeless. I should save my comments for when there's talk about each chapter (on the episode threads?). Your Quick, Quick Slow Death had me chortling and gasping at various points. The tragedy of the tattooed fellow's loneliness never struck me before, and lots of other things you mention too. Ah, I'll save it for the discussions! But I really want to see it again now, you remind me how great it is when I'd forgotten. As for Thirteenth Hole, utterly delightful. You really got hold of Steed's subversion and Emma's ennui at the prospect of golf...

Anti-clockwise's analysis of Dial A Deadly Number is breathtakingly daring. I bet Roger Marshall will be blushing (with pleasure) once he's read it :) I can't wait to read her others. I've disciplined myself a bit and am reading the earlier essays now, The Murder Market has depth and great puns too, as Rodney promised :)

Nice to see that the Tara volume shares Anti-clockwise's name as a title!
Last edited by Frankymole on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Well, I've noticed an error at the start of my "Two's A Crowd" chapter - it says "Twenty-five years after the end of the Second World War" and it should be twenty years! Grr.

There are a couple of typos around the text that I can send to Rodney (e.g. "Ivenko" is listed as "Ivano" in the list of characters). Hopefully he'll change my chronologically-challenged second paragraph too in future editions.

This book has one of the loveliest descriptions of Emma Peel's demeanour, and a reason I find her so attractive: "cool warmth".
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Received my copy this morning and I agree with Franky, the book is even better in 'real-life' so to speak - the cover is dazzling, the book nicely big and chunky and the text is very clear, well-spaced and making it a very comfortable read.

I'm pleased that Piers' splendid essay and my own piece on Brimstone didn't replicate too much, and have interestingly different approaches.

Of course, re-reading my own Brimstone essay I'm perhaps over critical and can think of a few improvements and I should have written more.

On careful reading this evening: I have found some omissions - I'm not sure if the text of Mrs Peel's missing height and vital statistics of ... 5' 8½" tall, 34-25-36½ are an Amazon figures error or omission - an omitted Ian Fleming quote and a missing piece of text - Mrs Peel's hypothetical reaction quote to her kinky costume... it's one of my best lines! It would be great if these pieces of text could possibly be re-instated :wink:

There's an inevitable typo in original dialogue script: text should read Hotel George V or Cinq - not Sand or Sanc.

Nevertheless, overall, I'm contented with my intentionally controversial risque piece and hope to continue this erotic theme into the Series 5 chapters :)

'This book has one of the loveliest descriptions of Emma Peel's demeanour, and a reason I find her so attractive: "cool warmth"'
What a superb description of our gorgeous Emma, Franky :)

I've read a few tasters of Anti-clockwise's and Margaret's chapters and they are an absolute joy :)

Just been skimming through a few chapters, Rodney's brilliant linking pieces... and the brief contributor bios, which are fascinating. I must say this book is astonishingly good... totally compelling, and a real must for any Avengers fan. It's the type of magnetic book to which you will continually want to return - a classic 'unput downable' - 'real page turner!'

The book is thrilling, stylish and sexy - it has pace, verve and panache - very much like an Avengers episode itself!

Well done Rodney... well done Amazon... well done everyone! :)
James
Last edited by mrs_emma_peel on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:23 am, edited 14 times in total.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Received my copy this morning. Great cover and artwork. :D Like a lot of you I've skipped through it randomly, and the essays look very impressive. I will probably feel I should have done a lot better with my essay once I've read all of yours :!: I've noticed one grammatical error in mine already. :lol: Can't wait to read the book properly over the weekend. Rich.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

glad people liked my description of EP's 'cool warmth'. It seemed the perfect oxymoron to sum up her charmingly paradoxical character.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:I've read four of five of the chapters now - not in order. Oh, what a high standard! Lovely work.

I really loved your contributions, Timeless. I should save my comments for when there's talk about each chapter (on the episode threads?). Your Quick, Quick Slow Death had me chortling and gasping at various points. The tragedy of the tattooed fellow's loneliness never struck me before, and lots of other things you mention too. Ah, I'll save it for the discussions! But I really want to see it again now, you remind me how great it is when I'd forgotten. As for Thirteenth Hole, utterly delightful. You really got hold of Steed's subversion and Emma's ennui at the prospect of golf...

Anti-clockwise's analysis of Dial A Deadly Number is breathtakingly daring. I bet Roger Marshall will be blushing (with pleasure) once he's read it :) I can't wait to read her others. I've disciplined myself a bit and am reading the earlier essays now, The Murder Market has depth and great puns too, as Rodeny promised :)

Nice to see that the Tara volume shares Anti-clockwise's name as a title!
It all sounds marvellous! My copy can't get here soon enough. :D I'm really looking forward to the variety of fresh perspectives that I can see are already coming out for each episode.

I'm so happy you enjoyed my chapters! :D Two episodes that never get much of a look-in, but I tried to put a new spin on them (the loneliness angle is something that's niggled at the back of my mind for years). If they caused gasping and chortling, I'm very pleased. Thank you kindly. :D