Dead Man's Treasure Hunt - locations and news

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

mariocki wrote:Haven't got time to reply to all the points raised but I can say that it was an enjoyable weekend and so nice to see the regular faces, some we haven't seen for a while and some new ones.

I can't deny that it is extremely stressful organising this and I've been enjoying going to bed before midnight each night this week, something I haven't managed to do for the last 3 months. It's getting harder and harder to arrange visits each year as people, quite rightly, become more security conscious and so places that we've been able to visit previously, like North Mymms Park, are no longer viable options for us. I always want wherever possible to go to places that are normally off-limits to the public which creates a big workload but I think it's worth it and I hope others feel the same.

I wanted to visit some of the 'big hitters' this time around like Haberdashers', Manor Lodge and Tykes Lake and so that was my starting point. I was also keen to return to Camfield Place as I'd kept in contact with Ian, the owner, after our last visit and he was such a great host that I didn't think people would mind returning so soon.

I'd visited Iver Grove myself a few years ago and had always had it in mind to visit during the Hunt weekend and after discovering that it was up for sale, I thought that we'd best try to include it this time while I still had a line of communication with the owners. It meant that there would be a long trip to get there but I felt that we might never get another opportunity if we didn't 'strike while the iron was hot', as it were. Rachel, the owner there, was a joy to deal with and it was such a shame that she was taken ill on the day and couldn't come down to meet us. It's people like her and Ian at Camfield Place that make the event possible and I'm extremely grateful to them.

Roger at Haberdashers' was another who really went the extra mile to facilitate our visit. Thanks to him we were able to approach the lake from the school, something we'd never done before. It shouldn't go unnoticed that he was giving up his day off to allow us to visit. That brings me to the one thing that spoilt the day for me - despite it being made clear that we would be leaving at 9am we were unable to do so and that had repercussions throughout the day as we were late to every venue after that and I had a very difficult conversation with someone I'd been liaising with for weeks about us visiting one venue, regarding our late arrival. Bearing in mind that people are giving up days off for us it's not something I'll allow to happen again. It also meant that I and the other co-ordinators were having to hurry people up at the locations because we were so far behind schedule, something that we didn't enjoy but I hope people understood the reasons why.

Anyway, that aside, it was a good weekend from my point of view and I'll certainly be organising at least some of the locations next year. In fact, I've already started.....
Geoff

I understand there is a lot of background work goes into arranging the location visits and I noticed that a couple of locations I visited with Jason and the guys, had upgraded their security so where you could once go and take photographs of an Avengers location, this is no longer possible. A sign of the times, re: my earlier observations in the thread regarding Elstree Aerodrome. I'm just pleased that you do go to all the trouble of setting these visits up.

The delay in starting the visits, also seemed to manifest itself on the Saturday Treasure Hunt as well. I believe someone did not turn up and were eventually tracked down by telephone by one of the organisers. They then announced that they would not be attending the Hunt and this caused a delay in us getting out to Shenley Hall and I completely agree that in future the event stick rigidly to the agreed start times.
Last edited by MikeR on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

Thanks Mike. Next year's instructions will include a telephone number for a local cab firm so if you miss the departure time you'll have to meet us at the first available location. We won't be late leaving again if I can help it.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

anti-clockwise wrote:These are brilliant pics Geoff. It is truly amazing how different it looks in colour! For filming, nothing beats the B&W. 8)
Thanks Margo - hope you can make it next year.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
bobrocca
Nutshell

Post by bobrocca »

mariocki wrote:Not The Avengers but this is already one of my favourite comparison shots ever. It's from The Professionals, again taken at Haberdashers', and was only possible because of the unprecedented access we were afforded on the day for which grateful thanks must be extended to Roger, the staff member who gave up his day off in order to facilitate our visit. Without people like him there would be no Treasure Hunt in its current guise:

Brilliant - love this one... :-)
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Great pictures. Thanks, Mariocki for these wonderful shooting pictures of THE GRAVEDIGGERS, one of my favorite episodes. Do you have any website or blog where you gather all these now and then pictures ?
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

I have promised myself that I will be there next year, come rain or end of term prize giving. It looks fabulous.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

denis wrote:Great pictures. Thanks, Mariocki for these wonderful shooting pictures of THE GRAVEDIGGERS, one of my favorite episodes. Do you have any website or blog where you gather all these now and then pictures ?
Not really Denis, this is as good a place as any. I do own the Dead Mans Treasure domain and put some pictures up there with the intention of using it as a way of persuading the owners of properties we'd like to visit to allow us in, but I haven't had the time to flesh it out and nor will I in the near future unfortunately.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Rodders wrote:I have promised myself that I will be there next year, come rain or end of term prize giving. It looks fabulous.
The 7/8/9th of July is the weekend you need to put in your diary then, Rodders :wink:
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Next stop was Tykes Water Lake which, for the first time, we were allowed to approach from the Aldenham side rather than the Watling Street end from previous years. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a fishing competition in full swing when we were due to arrive so we had to be extremely quiet so my thanks to everyone who adhered to the request for complete silence and thus making this a very special moment:

"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Geoff

I can only echo what others are saying... these are very impressive then and now shots.