Season 4: A creative idea

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Frankymole wrote:I've read four of five of the chapters now - not in order. Oh, what a high standard! Lovely work.

I really loved your contributions, Timeless. I should save my comments for when there's talk about each chapter (on the episode threads?). Your Quick, Quick Slow Death had me chortling and gasping at various points. The tragedy of the tattooed fellow's loneliness never struck me before, and lots of other things you mention too. Ah, I'll save it for the discussions! But I really want to see it again now, you remind me how great it is when I'd forgotten. As for Thirteenth Hole, utterly delightful. You really got hold of Steed's subversion and Emma's ennui at the prospect of golf...

Anti-clockwise's analysis of Dial A Deadly Number is breathtakingly daring. I bet Roger Marshall will be blushing (with pleasure) once he's read it :) I can't wait to read her others. I've disciplined myself a bit and am reading the earlier essays now, The Murder Market has depth and great puns too, as Rodeny promised :)

Nice to see that the Tara volume shares Anti-clockwise's name as a title!
Thank you Franky. I am blushing myself just thinking about it. Hopefully Rodney will tear that page out before he gives it to his dad. :lol:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodders wrote:Please e-mail me any typos or factual errors and I will change them at the end of March. It involves taking the book offline for 48 hours. I've changed Frankymole's already.
Will do. I've spotted a couple more and will include everything in an email to keep it all easily locatable. But I must say, this book contains far fewer such little slips than most - the Dr Who Fannual I am reading this weekend has many, many more and that's a thirty British pounds hardback which had some paperback editions before so could've been corrected once already. It isn't distracting in our case because the content is so involving and the occasional typo so rare.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

Frankymole wrote:. The Murder Market has depth and great puns too, as Rodney promised :)
Thanks for the kind words Franky - I hadn't realised when I started work on TMM just how rich a seam of material it would provide, and somehow the puns just seemed to generate themselves ! I'm really looking forward to reading the other contributions and will be placing an order through my local book-shop ASAP.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Speed Six wrote:
Frankymole wrote:. The Murder Market has depth and great puns too, as Rodney promised :)
Thanks for the kind words Franky - I hadn't realised when I started work on TMM just how rich a seam of material it would provide, and somehow the puns just seemed to generate themselves ! I'm really looking forward to reading the other contributions and will be placing an order through my local book-shop ASAP.
What makes the chapter remarkable though is how much you draw out both the sexual imagery and the birth/marriage/death elements. It is a truly stunning chapter. The episode is also one of the very best. At its best, literary criticism makes us aware of the deeper layers with the reader response being 'oh, yes I hadn't seen that', rather than a disbelieving 'really?!'
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

mrs_emma_peel wrote: On careful reading this evening: I have found some omissions - I'm not sure if the text of Mrs Peel's missing height and vital statistics of ... 5' 8½" tall, 34-25-36½ are an Amazon figures error or omission - an omitted Ian Fleming quote and a missing piece of text - Mrs Peel's hypothetical reaction quote to her kinky costume... it's one of my best lines! It would be great if these pieces of text could possibly be re-instated :wink:

There's an inevitable typo in original dialogue script: text should read Hotel George V or Cinq - not Sand or Sanc.

James
I've corrected the George V typo for future copies. As for omissions, you'll have to send me your essay again, James, and I'll try to fathom why they got the chop. Everything is open to negotiation! Well, almost everything.
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

Rodders wrote:
Speed Six wrote:
What makes the chapter remarkable though is how much you draw out both the sexual imagery and the birth/marriage/death elements. It is a truly stunning chapter. The episode is also one of the very best. At its best, literary criticism makes us aware of the deeper layers with the reader response being 'oh, yes I hadn't seen that', rather than a disbelieving 'really?!'
Gosh - I'm really :oops: now ! I've really got to give credit to my English and German literature teachers at school though for developing my interest in literary and dramatic analysis - they were both very inspiring in that respect (although they didn't really appreciate my interest in the more popular colours of the cultural spectrum !). Studying Hitchcock's work - particularly his use of Freudian symbolism - was also a big help.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

If you do enjoy the book please take the time to write an Amazon review as this is the best way to 'spread the word'.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Rodders wrote:
mrs_emma_peel wrote: On careful reading this evening: I have found some omissions - I'm not sure if the text of Mrs Peel's missing height and vital statistics of ... 5' 8½" tall, 34-25-36½ are an Amazon figures error or omission - an omitted Ian Fleming quote and a missing piece of text - Mrs Peel's hypothetical reaction quote to her kinky costume... it's one of my best lines! It would be great if these pieces of text could possibly be re-instated :wink:

There's an inevitable typo in original dialogue script: text should read Hotel George V or Cinq - not Sand or Sanc.

James
I've corrected the George V typo for future copies. As for omissions, you'll have to send me your essay again, James, and I'll try to fathom why they got the chop. Everything is open to negotiation! Well, almost everything.
Many thanks Rodney, will do :)
Will also write a 5 star review on Amazon :)
James
James/Mrs Emma Peel
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

To answer Piers' question, it's not available on Kindle simply because I couldn't follow the complicated procedure. I might try again! (Complicated in terms of both the text and the tax implications.)
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

ground breaking book! thanks to all the contributors and Rodney for all your hard work.
Last edited by anti-clockwise on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."