Remaking the Avengers?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

a tough call...I guess, the modern era..late 1990's, or present day..
don't think doing it was a retro piece-i.e.60's, would work..

then again, depends who is hired as actors, and how good the script is,with a budget to match..anything less, would probably fall flat on it's face..
It's like the new Sherlock Holmes series with Cumberbatch that recently came out in Britain, setting Holmes and Watson in modern times. It has gotten very good ratings and as a Sherlockian I look forward to seeing the first episode in the US this Sunday night.

If true quality and love of the show as present, I think it can be updated successfully to modern times. However, I think that devotion to quality and love of the historical show is not common, and perhaps not even always respected in Hollywood and other places of production. Unfortunately, we do have the Avengers movie as sad proof of that.

I think the idea of doing radio is the best idea.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Mona wrote: It's like the new Sherlock Holmes series with Cumberbatch that recently came out in Britain, setting Holmes and Watson in modern times. It has gotten very good ratings and as a Sherlockian I look forward to seeing the first episode in the US this Sunday night.

Mona

I'll be interested to read your thoughts. I'm not a SH fan and I loved it - particularly ep 1 - Benedict Cumberpatch was great.

Ratings have been great, yes and a new series commisioned.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Re: Sherlock.

Cumberbatch is really a wonderful Holmes. My childhood Holmes is the late Jeremy Brett, but this new Sherlock is wonderful, and makes the film version look very overblown and forced by comparison...

Additionally, unlike other adaptations, Holmes' opium tendency are very well handled- in a modernised way...
bobbysteed
Nutshell

From Bobby Steed

Post by bobbysteed »

Do you think that Anne Hathaway could play Emma Peel. I defintely think Rachel Sterling would be the best reprising her Mum's Role. Bobby :D
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
sivvy
White Dwarf

Re: From Bobby Steed

Post by sivvy »

bobbysteed wrote:Do you think that Anne Hathaway could play Emma Peel. I defintely think Rachel Sterling would be the best reprising her Mum's Role. Bobby :D
IMHO I think any number of actresses could do the look. Kate Beckinsale, Sienna Miller, Jennifer Garner, Anna Friel, Megan Fox, Keira Knightly, Michelle Ryan are names that immediately come to mind. Whether any of them could do a convincing Emma is doubtful.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I know when you're creating a fantasy cast of the show it's pointless listing little known or unknown actors but remember that's how Patrick, Honor, Diana Linda & Joanna were perceived when they were cast in the show.

Ian Hendry & Gareth Hunt were the exceptions of course. Gareth had just come off Upstairs Downstairs, so was still fresh in the mind.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
sivvy
White Dwarf

Post by sivvy »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I know when you're creating a fantasy cast of the show it's pointless listing little known or unknown actors but remember that's how Patrick, Honor, Diana Linda & Joanna were perceived when they were cast in the show.

Ian Hendry & Gareth Hunt were the exceptions of course. Gareth had just come off Upstairs Downstairs, so was still fresh in the mind.
That's kind of my point. We can list numerous names but they will be mainly based on their look. But for the actress to capture the 'Emma-ness' of Emma is a bit more tricky. An unknown might have more chance of succeeding.

Having said that I don't think anyone should consider re-casting Steed and Emma. If the Avengers ever return they need to be the 'New, New Avengers' Perhaps Purdey could be the 'wise old head'
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Mona wrote: It's like the new Sherlock Holmes series with Cumberbatch that recently came out in Britain, setting Holmes and Watson in modern times. It has gotten very good ratings and as a Sherlockian I look forward to seeing the first episode in the US this Sunday night.

Mona

I'll be interested to read your thoughts. I'm not a SH fan and I loved it - particularly ep 1 - Benedict Cumberpatch was great.

Ratings have been great, yes and a new series commisioned.
I really enjoyed Sherlock, too, even thought my Holmes exposure is pretty limited. We aired it in September, and I keep meaning to post my thoughts about it on here, but haven't gotten around to it.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
bobbysteed
Nutshell

From Bobby Steed

Post by bobbysteed »

Well, now that we have Brainstormed who would or could be cast as Emma Peel, lets move on to who we would cast as John Steed? Any Idea's to who would have the charm and polish of John Steed? I don't think it could be a American Actor. Bobby :D
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:
a tough call...I guess, the modern era..late 1990's, or present day..
don't think doing it was a retro piece-i.e.60's, would work..

then again, depends who is hired as actors, and how good the script is,with a budget to match..anything less, would probably fall flat on it's face..
It's like the new Sherlock Holmes series with Cumberbatch that recently came out in Britain, setting Holmes and Watson in modern times. It has gotten very good ratings and as a Sherlockian I look forward to seeing the first episode in the US this Sunday night.

If true quality and love of the show as present, I think it can be updated successfully to modern times. However, I think that devotion to quality and love of the historical show is not common, and perhaps not even always respected in Hollywood and other places of production. Unfortunately, we do have the Avengers movie as sad proof of that.

I think the idea of doing radio is the best idea.

Mona
yeah...That might be the way to go..I still enjoy listening to the radio, for plays, games,etc..