The Peel Colour Era

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

Timeless A-Peel wrote: I haven't watched the colour episodes for awhile now, so I don't remember how often the Emmapeeler pops up, although Emma does spend the whole of Murdersville in that magical colour-changing one. I assume they objected to the ones with the cut-outs in the hips and waist?

I always thought the "Mrs. Peel, we're needed" tags were cut because Brian Clemens or someone decided he didn't like them, thought they were silly, or something. I'm pretty sure all the Emma episodes were the same 50 minute length as all other Avengers episodes, so the commercial idea wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.
Yes, indeed. The Emmapeeler with the cut-outs in the hips and waist was concerned. As to commercials, less than a minute, let’s say 50 seconds, was enough to add commercials. I will give my source as soon as I lay my hand on it ! :wink:
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

denis wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: I haven't watched the colour episodes for awhile now, so I don't remember how often the Emmapeeler pops up, although Emma does spend the whole of Murdersville in that magical colour-changing one. I assume they objected to the ones with the cut-outs in the hips and waist?

I always thought the "Mrs. Peel, we're needed" tags were cut because Brian Clemens or someone decided he didn't like them, thought they were silly, or something. I'm pretty sure all the Emma episodes were the same 50 minute length as all other Avengers episodes, so the commercial idea wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.
Yes, indeed. The Emmapeeler with the cut-outs in the hips and waist was concerned. As to commercials, less than a minute, let’s say 50 seconds, was enough to add commercials. I will give my source as soon as I lay my hand on it ! :wink:
I'll have to pay attention to running time next time and see if they are shorter. That's a shame if they did cut them for commercials. I always liked the tags.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

[quote=

However, fandom always goes through reappraisals. Just say, for instance, one person said that Too Many Christmas Trees wasn't much cop, there would initially be much disbelief. However, after a short amount of time, people would start to agree as they reappraised their own opinion.

No-one will ever be able to make me reappraise Too many Christmas trees. Quite simply the 2nd best episode of telly ever made, after The Cybernauts. Some things are classics, and always will be. Rich.
Norbert
Nutshell

Post by Norbert »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'll have to pay attention to running time next time and see if they are shorter.
They are not shorter:

From Venus With Love 049:15
The Fear Merchants 049:24
Escape In Time 049:21
The See-Through Man 049:05
The Bird Who Knew Too Much 049:19
The Winged Avenger 049:22
The Living Dead 049:16
The Hidden Tiger 049:06
The Correct Way To Kill 049:21
Never, Never Say Die 049:15
Epic 049:12
The Superlative Seven 049:05
A Funny Way Happened On the Way To The Station 049:20
Something Nasty In The Nursery 049:16
The Joker 049:18
Who's Who? 049:07

Return Of The Cybernauts 049:15
Death's Door 049:19
The £50,000 Breakfast 049:06
Dead Man's Treasure 049:19
You Have Just Been Murdered 049:17
The Positive-Negative Man 049:18
Murdersville 049:16
Mission...Highly Improbable 049:05
Rose: Dorothy, you are - what we call in news business - a hot story.
Dorothy: And you are - what we call in revenge business - next.
(The Golden Girls)
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

cyberrich wrote:[quote=

However, fandom always goes through reappraisals. Just say, for instance, one person said that Too Many Christmas Trees wasn't much cop, there would initially be much disbelief. However, after a short amount of time, people would start to agree as they reappraised their own opinion.

No-one will ever be able to make me reappraise Too many Christmas trees. Quite simply the 2nd best episode of telly ever made, after The Cybernauts. Some things are classics, and always will be. Rich.
Can I go first please? I've never really 'got' Too Many Christmas Trees. I just can't really follow what's going on or how Steed is under the influence of the seance. It's one of those odd episodes where I just can't see what all the fuss is about. Sorry. It's way down my list if season 4 favourites.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Nice try Johnny. Next! :lol:
Mararaboomdiay
Little Wonder

Post by Mararaboomdiay »

Philippa wrote:Top, definitely. Although the colour series is very different from the B&W series, it's still fantastic :D
I have to agree - I've bought one of the Dutch box sets a few months ago, and I haven't stopped watching them ever since. I would say I know TNA best, but the Peel's (especially the coloured ones) do represent the series best for me.

I was really thrilled so see that the digitally remastered episodes are released in such great quality again. There's a small mistake made with one of the episode titles, but at least this cover doesn't state that the series stars Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman. :roll: (unlike some other Dutch DVD release)
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

Colour Peel episodes are the top of the top! Call me biased, because I'm in love with Emma, but I couldn't imagine any greater Avengers era than the one with her in it and also in brilliant colour!

I see what others are saying about the B&W Emma episodes being a bit more classic, but (again like others are saying) the colour ones are more fun!
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."