Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

MikeR wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
MikeR wrote:As mentioned in the above post...

Speaking of fashions, leather and otherwise, John Bates was not the first designer approached to come up with The Avengers collection, as another well known designer failed to come up with all the goods.
Was it a female designer?
It was indeed a female designer.
Intriguing! June can't come soon enough. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

There is now a 10% discount on all books (including Bowler Hat and Kinky Boots) when purchased on the new Telos website until May 31st. However, you need to enter the code newwebsite 14 at the checkout stage.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Exciting times, killer postage to Australia though - it's the same as the price of the book! I'll definitely get it, but might have to wait for a postage deal or see what Amazon can offer. :(
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

dissolute wrote:Exciting times, killer postage to Australia though - it's the same as the price of the book! I'll definitely get it, but might have to wait for a postage deal or see what Amazon can offer. :(
Having had a word with Telos Publishing they tell me that the book should appear on various Amazon sites shortly after publication in the UK.

One option then would be to use Amazon's Book Depository subsidiary with free worldwide shipping.

Hope this helps.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Without asking you to spoil any of the book's contents, Mike, I'm curious as to which season of the show produced the most surprises (or at least cases of previously-unknown information), at least in your opinion? Were there eras that proved particularly hard to find fresh information about, or did they all prove equally challenging? Naturally, if you feel that the book answers that better, feel free to say so. I'm just curious about the research process. :)

MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Without asking you to spoil any of the book's contents, Mike, I'm curious as to which season of the show produced the most surprises (or at least cases of previously-unknown information), at least in your opinion? Were there eras that proved particularly hard to find fresh information about, or did they all prove equally challenging? Naturally, if you feel that the book answers that better, feel free to say so. I'm just curious about the research process. :)
Timeless

I’d say that the previously unknown information that I have uncovered covers every season of The Avengers and perhaps to a lesser extent The New Avengers. Perhaps I’d say that the first season on film held more surprises than any other though, especially the cross over from season three, when the series went from videotape to film. The popular press and trade magazines of the day (Kine Weekly and the Daily Cinema) seemed to report material that made little sense surrounding the series and it was only talking to Richard Bates that gave me the true sequence of events. Although everyone I spoke to regarding the book was helpful, Richard really went the extra mile about his and John Bryce’s experiences and their one and only meeting with Julian Wintle.

Brian Clemens was also very supportive of the project and he wrote me a introduction for the book, which was very good of him and even called me a couple of times offering more assistance and asking when my deadline was.

So from a behind the scenes point of view then again I’d go for season four, also because I had access to a huge amount of correspondence between Julian Wintle at Elstree and Brian Tesler at Teddington, usually with regard to draft scripts being submitted for assessment.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Re: Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Post by MikeR »

MikeR wrote:After spending three years assembling and writing the most detailed book ever on The Avengers, The New Avengers and The Avengers feature film, Telos Publishing have now scheduled Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots for a summer release.

At slightly over 800 pages this book is now available to pre-order on the Telos website www.telos.co.uk although it will become available later on both Amazon UK and Amazon USA and there will also be a Kindle version. This design will be the cover.

Compiled from official paperwork from ABC Television, Iris Productions, Telemen Productions, ABC Television Films, The Avengers (Film & TV) Enterprises and Warner Brothers, including internal correspondence and daily progress reports, this volume gives a day by day account of how the series progressed. In addition to this information, the author has also spoken and corresponded with many people who worked on the series, thus giving the fullest picture yet of how this classic and stylish British production was assembled. This volume also covers the South African radio series and the stage play.

Just to wet your appetite I can confirm that you will also discover the answers to the following…

Who was the first actress considered as Ian Hendry’s replacement?

Which episode of The Avengers was vetted by The Ministry of Defence before transmission?

Which major member of the videotaped production was later invited to join the team at Elstree Studios making the series on film and turned it down?

Before the Associated British Picture Corporation decided to fund the series on film, ABC Television considered making the series as a co-production with another ITV regional company, but which one?

Besides the UK, which other country was considered for filming episodes of The Avengers?

In spring 1965 Honor Blackman was offered the lead in which primetime American TV series?

Which black and white Diana Rigg episode besides A Touch of Brimstone had cuts?

Which director was verbally reprimanded by Albert Fennell for rewriting portions of a film series script in his lunch break?

Further to this, there is the full story behind the proposed Broadway Avengers play and the 1965 feature film project that was to have location filming in the Middle East.

All this and more can be found in Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots.
The finished book cover has now arrived.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

MikeR wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Without asking you to spoil any of the book's contents, Mike, I'm curious as to which season of the show produced the most surprises (or at least cases of previously-unknown information), at least in your opinion? Were there eras that proved particularly hard to find fresh information about, or did they all prove equally challenging? Naturally, if you feel that the book answers that better, feel free to say so. I'm just curious about the research process. :)
Timeless

I’d say that the previously unknown information that I have uncovered covers every season of The Avengers and perhaps to a lesser extent The New Avengers. Perhaps I’d say that the first season on film held more surprises than any other though, especially the cross over from season three, when the series went from videotape to film. The popular press and trade magazines of the day (Kine Weekly and the Daily Cinema) seemed to report material that made little sense surrounding the series and it was only talking to Richard Bates that gave me the true sequence of events. Although everyone I spoke to regarding the book was helpful, Richard really went the extra mile about his and John Bryce’s experiences and their one and only meeting with Julian Wintle.

Brian Clemens was also very supportive of the project and he wrote me a introduction for the book, which was very good of him and even called me a couple of times offering more assistance and asking when my deadline was.

So from a behind the scenes point of view then again I’d go for season four, also because I had access to a huge amount of correspondence between Julian Wintle at Elstree and Brian Tesler at Teddington, usually with regard to draft scripts being submitted for assessment.
I've salivating just reading this.:)

A few examples the correspondence is on the DVD and they made fascinating reading.

This will be my perfect Birthday present!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Exciting times, killer postage to Australia though - it's the same as the price of the book! I'll definitely get it, but might have to wait for a postage deal or see what Amazon can offer. :(
hope so...as the postage at times, is an killer....brutal.....
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

MikeR wrote:
Timeless

Thanks, Mike! I can see that being the case, given how much change the series went through between seasons 3 and 4 (videotape to film, Honor to Diana, Teddington to Elstree, etc.). There's always a certain level of vagueness associated with that period, so it's just begging to be filled in. I can't wait to read what you found! :D