Anticlockwise feedback

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Darren wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:I think writing about a dreadful episode takes talent to make it so compelling as you did. I am laughing that you found the fountain of archive-Andrew :lol: In fact I wondered in general how you know so much about the production end of things. I really struggle to find those details. I am jumping around so next on my list is countless clues.
TV and Film production has long been a big interest for me. I love absorbing the technicalities, crafts and skills that go into putting it together. I try to dig around for any relevant interviews and comments from the writers, directors, actors etc and Michael Richardson's recent book has been especially helpful with the nuggets of behind the scenes info.

I'm totally at sea when it comes to looking at the thematic qualities of an episode.:)
Thanks for the compliment on Legacy. Given how much I idealize TA I found it extraordinarily difficult to criticize them because they are just perfect. :lol: What helped was actually reading other contributors chapters who were more balanced like yours. But the jokes on Legacy were really hilarious and my favorite Tara episode.
You reminded me of how many good gags there are that episodes - the assassin who dies when leaping on to Steed and Tara was an instant rewind moment when I first saw it and it still makes me laugh.
If Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots is inspiring and assisting others to write about The Avengers, then I'm extremely happy.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Darren wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:I think writing about a dreadful episode takes talent to make it so compelling as you did. I am laughing that you found the fountain of archive-Andrew :lol: In fact I wondered in general how you know so much about the production end of things. I really struggle to find those details. I am jumping around so next on my list is countless clues.
TV and Film production has long been a big interest for me. I love absorbing the technicalities, crafts and skills that go into putting it together. I try to dig around for any relevant interviews and comments from the writers, directors, actors etc and Michael Richardson's recent book has been especially helpful with the nuggets of behind the scenes info.

I'm totally at sea when it comes to looking at the thematic qualities of an episode.:)
Thanks for the compliment on Legacy. Given how much I idealize TA I found it extraordinarily difficult to criticize them because they are just perfect. :lol: What helped was actually reading other contributors chapters who were more balanced like yours. But the jokes on Legacy were really hilarious and my favorite Tara episode.
You reminded me of how many good gags there are that episodes - the assassin who dies when leaping on to Steed and Tara was an instant rewind moment when I first saw it and it still makes me laugh.
Well you are seriously talented at integrating and seeing all these connections that would go right past me. Your background really shows. It is really quite amazing that after 50 years so much can still be learned about the production of the show and how it was reflected in the episode. It is really marvelous that there is a place to read about these production details . 2014 has been kind to TA in all these great books, with Mike and Alan and Rodney's books.

I just read Countless Clues. I love the connection you make that Tara is the new "Mother" in her role as an invalid for this episode. Brilliant deduction. Fits perfectly. Also who would have picked up the Perry Mason connection? I had no idea till I read you chapter that Clemens had anything to do with that show.
Last edited by anti-clockwise on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

MikeR wrote:
Darren wrote:

If Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots is inspiring and assisting others to write about The Avengers, then I'm extremely happy.
Your book definitely has been a huge resource for all of us. I have appreciated your help and you are always so informative on any question-even trivial ones! You are quoted in numerous chapters in Anticlockwise, including mine. Happy New Years to all. I guess it literally is New Years in England.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

My copy arrived yesterday. Hooray!! The hardback is rather splendid.

I've so far read the intros and afterword, Jay's chapters, and the chapter on "Legacy of Death" which was lovely - one of my favourite episodes and the characters were captured in some very enjoyable and adroit phrases; really enhanced my appreciation of it. I am so glad to see the admiration for the plethora of great character actors, they're the making of this episode - a cast to kill for (literally!). I think I may have to watch it again from the German set as a New Year treat (along with the Cathy Gale New Year-set "Dressed To Kill", of course)!

I loved Jay's chapters; she gave great insight into the triangle of complementary skills and personalities of Mother, Steed and Tara - an aspect I really hadn't recognised the depth of before.

Think it'll be time for Margo's chapters next!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Lhbizness wrote:It's called the Bechdel Test and requires that two female characters have a conversation about something other than a man. The Avengers does pass, I believe, although individual episodes might not.
Not surprising, as it was the first show on TV with a feminist lead. Cathy does her own investigating (by necessity when Steed is off getting ready for his next scene). Some of her conversations may not involve male criminals.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

We're very lucky to have picked up so many talented writers to contribute to these books: as you say, Jay's chapters are always first class, and the likes of Sam, Matthew, Lauren, Frank H, and Darren all write entertainingly. I think that Dan brings a no bull**** approach to his analysis, while with Margo you just know that she will find a new angle, which is great for readers. Piers like to concentrate on the visual appeal which offers a contrast to the likes of Jay who concentrates on characters. However, of all the writers, I take my hat off to Sunday because to be a television critic and postgrad when you are deaf and have to lip-read is a quite phenomenal achievement.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Lauren and Sunday possess a very rare skill: academics who write very, very well!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

The writing is just sublime. I ought to only PM this to Jay, really. For example, the joy in the alliteration of "turning the tables and targeting Tara as the traitor" made me laugh aloud at its audacity - followed by the immediate sucker punch whereby it "allows for a new perspective on all three of the season's leads" and not only preludes a juicy new analysis of Mother's importance but is a piece of fun writing in itself.

The triumph of these books is that they marry exquisite writing skill with the most in-depth view of the series (the perfect viewing companion, with enormous food for thought). I'm almost ashamed to submit my paltry efforts!

It's a splendid Christmas treat, this book - nothing tinselly or insubstantial like the rest of the Xmas decorations, instead all truly varied and shining gems. Facets of the source, The Avengers. Can't think of anything it has been so much fun to be a fan of.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I agree. I think that by marrying beautifully written chapters with an in-depth analysis that these episodes have never had before, you get a wonderful product. There's no doubt that Anticlockwise is the best of the three volumes to date. Writers now feel more confident and both the Tara era and The New Avengers feel more like breaking into unexplored territory. After all, everyone know the 'apeel' of the previous seasons.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Frankymole wrote: I'm almost ashamed to submit my paltry efforts!
All the writers are top class!