The WORST Episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

At least Pandora and Thing had a storyline and a brooding atmosphere. Homicide should have binned when Clemens returned. I guess that recycling the footage was a financial decision.
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

Invasion of the Earthmen.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned. It is just plain awful! No wit, no grace, no style, a daft premise and that 'robot' suit...

But to be honest there aren't many episodes I would rank as awful or worst... Perhaps The Bird Who Knew Too Much just seemed too silly, rather than fabulously daft like, say, The Winged Avenger.

Some are dull, which isn't a crime in itself. I would put Mission to Montreal in that catagory. Perhaps Killer Whale (oh no, not another boxing ring episode!) or Conspiracy of Silence which I've never really cared for although its briliantly shot by Peter Hammond.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Steed's better halfs

Post by mousemeat »

DiVicenzo wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:
I have no idea why this scene is so picked on - it's hilarious!
A lot of Diana-fans only have this episode of Tara King, so assume (wrongly) she couldn't fight. It is amusing, I agree but there was a wasted opportunity there....

I remember 'hating' Tara King for taking away my Emma at the time but I still watched 'The Avengers' on a Saturday night at my Grandma's :D Looking at it now I think it shows Tara had a sense of humour - and being a kid at the time I wouldn't realise that it might have been a wasted opportunity - it worked/ works for me as does the whole episode which still kills me. I like The Avengers the way it is it changed my life in a positive way!
:
I think one of the problems the fans had with the changing of the guard, was that Linda Thorson, had the bad luck in following & trying to replace Diana Rigg...nothing against Thorson, but that and some of the scripts, didn't make her arrival and acceptance, easy..

Now if Tara King would have followed, Mrs.Gale, or better yet, Venus Smith, fans might have warmed up to her much sooner..

but as the years roll by, I've learned to enjoy the Tara Era, actually it holds it's own..
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Boswell wrote:Some are dull, which isn't a crime in itself. I would put Mission to Montreal in that catagory. Perhaps Killer Whale (oh no, not another boxing ring episode!) or Conspiracy of Silence which I've never really cared for although its briliantly shot by Peter Hammond.
I agree, some of the episodes from season 2 aren't that bad but just dull and their pace is sometimes a little slow. I've only seen most of them once, so maybe I'll like them better the second time.
Allen
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Two's A Crowd - It's absolutely dire, I've never managed to watch it through to the end. The worst episode of all time !
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

[quote="Boswell"]Invasion of the Earthmen.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned. It is just plain awful!

I love it :D
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Invasion of the Earthmen is like a season 5 episode done with a very serious edge. I'd never class it as a favourite but there's an atmosphere to it that I enjoy. Tara's experiences in "The Tube" are quite tense. I like the absurdity of the spaceman turning up at various times. Bit too much wandering around corridors and a quarry but it's not all bad just different from what we expect.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Invasion of the Earthmen is not unlike Superlative Seven in terms of atmosphere and style. Not great, but by no means the worst.
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

Artanis wrote:
Boswell wrote:Some are dull, which isn't a crime in itself. I would put Mission to Montreal in that catagory. Perhaps Killer Whale (oh no, not another boxing ring episode!) or Conspiracy of Silence which I've never really cared for although its briliantly shot by Peter Hammond.
I agree, some of the episodes from season 2 aren't that bad but just dull and their pace is sometimes a little slow. I've only seen most of them once, so maybe I'll like them better the second time.
Another problem with some of them is that the subject matter is not exactly, well, exciting. Maybe soap was a hot topic in 1962 or whenever it was that got everybody into a lather. And the piracy fraud in The Medecine Men was not exactly - OH MY GOOD GRIEF!!! And there were a fair number of diamond smugglers. But I suppose that does reflect the period.

Some years ago the BBC repeated an episode of a mid sixties soap called Compact, and about five minutes of it was a chap arranging a photo shoot for jewellry and the cliff hanger was either someone's handbag being swiped or she suspected she was being followed... I remember being extraordinairily underwhelmed in these days of planes dropping on villages and the annual Christmas cast cull in soaps.

I probably react to that because of all the diabollical masterminds of later seasons with their unfeasibly large budgets to build giant underground bases with great big noses in them! Who do you think they banked with?
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

And I've outed Invasion of the Earthmen fans!

Shall I resign in disgrace???