worst episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Worst episodes;
Season 2. Mission to Montreal. A bit pedestrian. Dr King and Venus weren't too bad, but I wish Cathy was in all 26.
Season 3. Death a la carte. Dull script.
Season 4. All are great, but Girl from Auntie is too silly and too slight a story, and there's too little Emma.
Season 5. Who's Who? This was made on a budget compared to other episodes, and boy does it look it! The plot of different personalities could have been better utilised than what's on offer in this rather thin story.
Season 6. Homicide. I'd rather have the original episode. Worst episode ever.
TNA Gladiators. Very routine, and not very Avengers-like. This could have been from any '70s series.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Truthfully now, the worst episodes available to see are "Girl on a trapeze" and "Tunnel of Fear" from Season 1. Ian Hendry is just plain dull. "The Frighteners", however, is terrific (despite Hendry screwing up in one critical scene), with really excellent guest actors, so this makes me believe the whole season was hit or miss.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I found season 2 a lot more hit-and-miss than S1, sadly. Looking at my list as I work my way through from the start, I've got some 1-bowler clunkers coming up (and one episode that scored half a bowler out of four...). Why do all the dull ones come in clumps? Ah well, at least there's some Cathy coming soon. Sorry, Venus.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I found season 2 a lot more hit-and-miss than S1, sadly. Looking at my list as I work my way through from the start, I've got some 1-bowler clunkers coming up (and one episode that scored half a bowler out of four...). Why do all the dull ones come in clumps? Ah well, at least there's some Cathy coming soon. Sorry, Venus.
c'mon...cut Venus some slack....she wasn't that bad...and might have evolved into a much 'rounder' character..had given the chance
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I think she fell through the cracks between the two producers, Leonard White and John Bryce both seem to have had very different visions of what she was meant to be. Torch song diva or young mod? Cut-class Londoner or Northern working-class songster in the wake of the Mersey Sound?

There are similar tussles with Bryce and Clemens/Fennel over Tara King, it's just a case of characterisation becoming victim to changing directions for the show. Luckily, Tara's persona was strong enough to survive the transition (and there had been little time to inflict any lasting damage); and Cathy Gale was much too deeply established, and with a stable backstory, for any messing about with her persona and motivations.

Julie Stevens is an absolute sweetheart, but Venus just seems to be horribly manipulated by Steed to the credit of neither of them. Cathy is older, more self-assured and more able to handle herself, she also relishes fighting the good fight whereas Venus gets tricked into it; it doesn't really work as a partnership of equals (Tara may lack experience but she has her eyes wide open as to her and Steed's shared purpose and is never taken advantage of).
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:not a big fan of honey for the prince...and invasion of the earthmen

yrs later, still not a fan of invasion of the Earthmen.....sheesh
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Just think, with John Bryce in charge, we could've had a whole season like that !! :P
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I think she fell through the cracks between the two producers, Leonard White and John Bryce both seem to have had very different visions of what she was meant to be. Torch song diva or young mod? Cut-class Londoner or Northern working-class songster in the wake of the Mersey Sound?

There are similar tussles with Bryce and Clemens/Fennel over Tara King, it's just a case of characterisation becoming victim to changing directions for the show. Luckily, Tara's persona was strong enough to survive the transition (and there had been little time to inflict any lasting damage); and Cathy Gale was much too deeply established, and with a stable backstory, for any messing about with her persona and motivations.

Julie Stevens is an absolute sweetheart, but Venus just seems to be horribly manipulated by Steed to the credit of neither of them. Cathy is older, more

self-assured and more able to handle herself, she also relishes fighting the good fight whereas Venus gets tricked into it; it doesn't really work as a partnership of equals (Tara may lack experience but she has her eyes wide open as to her and Steed's shared purpose and is never taken advantage of).
Very good points, and I pretty much concur..especially with the tug of war, in terms of character evolution between Clemens and Bryce...and Venus, is basically a footnote and blip on the series radar-history
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I see that two months ago I singled out Who's who as the worst season 5 episode. Well, I'm re-watching season 5 and Who's who is where I'm currently up to. It's not that bad actually :!: It's still not great and it was definitely made on a budget, but it's quite a fun episode. I'd still place it in the bottom 3, but worst is now £50,000 breakfast which I've always found rather dull. I'll be rewatching that one soon, so I'm now wondering if that one will also go up in my estimation :!:
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:I see that two months ago I singled out Who's who as the worst season 5 episode. Well, I'm re-watching season 5 and Who's who is where I'm currently up to. It's not that bad actually :!: It's still not great and it was definitely made on a budget, but it's quite a fun episode. I'd still place it in the bottom 3, but worst is now £50,000 breakfast which I've always found rather dull. I'll be rewatching that one soon, so I'm now wondering if that one will also go up in my estimation :!:
been there..and done that.....re watching episodes...and one that I originally disliked, I re watched it, and maybe have gotten another take on it...such as Honey for the prince, or 13th hole, etc...