Has there ever been... an Avengers Con?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by helenofirvine »

Rodney wrote:I think that keeping it simple is a very good idea. At the same time, I think it needs someone who worked on the show as a guest/guide to raise it above the sort of fans' chat which we get online. The involvement of an actor or director or writer allows an insight which fans - however well informed - cannot.
One of the most rewarding discussions I had was with Leonard Nimoy when he got together with a lot of us film geeks to discuss his experiences directing. (Spock questions were NOT allowed, although none of us would have complained if he went there either!)

I think a type of question and learn from the masters session would be great. Not only their involvement with the Avengers, but their technical professionalism and creativity. What does it take to make a show successful... to build from the ground up?

All sorts of stuff like that...
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

helenofirvine wrote: I think a type of question and learn from the masters session would be great. Not only their involvement with the Avengers, but their technical professionalism and creativity. What does it take to make a show successful... to build from the ground up?

Oh that would bore me rigid. Sorry, Helen....

I prefer the gossip and banter, just to kick back and have a real natter.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Wiebke
Nutshell

Post by Wiebke »

The Gaslight Ghoul wrote:Count me in for the meet too, particularly if it's in London.

In fact there were a few impromptu Avengers fan meets in a bar in London which happened about 5 years ago, which were organized from a previous Avengers forum.

Great fun they were too.

Anyone else on here attend any of these?
You mean at the Phoenix Bar? I went to a couple of those, but I haven't heard anything for years. Shame!
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
helenofirvine wrote: I think a type of question and learn from the masters session would be great. Not only their involvement with the Avengers, but their technical professionalism and creativity. What does it take to make a show successful... to build from the ground up?

Oh that would bore me rigid. Sorry, Helen....

I prefer the gossip and banter, just to kick back and have a real natter.
Me too, personally I think all the technical talk would be a bit boring..
Anthony McKay
Little Wonder

Post by Anthony McKay »

My experience is that the experienced behind the scenes guys are much more interesting than the guys in front of the camera. They also tend to have more intetrest and enthusiasm for the shows they helped create.

Anyway I was always told that the interesting tend to be interested and the boring tend to be bored.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Anthony McKay wrote:My experience is that the experienced behind the scenes guys are much more interesting than the guys in front of the camera. They also tend to have more intetrest and enthusiasm for the shows they helped create.
I would agree with you, Anthony. I thought Helen was suggesting a talk on the technical details of 'what makes a TV programme', rather than a relaxed conversation about what we loved, and hated, about the show and related stuff.

So I apologise as I obviously misunderstood.

The most interesting interviews in Stay Tuned To The Avengers magazine were with people like Diana's stunt double, Brian Clemens and others behind the show.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
next thursday
Little Wonder

Post by next thursday »

[/quote]I would agree with you, Anthony. I thought Helen was suggesting a talk on the technical details of 'what makes a TV programme', rather than a relaxed conversation about what we loved, and hated, about the show and related stuff.

So I apologise as I obviously misunderstood.

The most interesting interviews in Stay Tuned To The Avengers magazine were with people like Diana's stunt double, Brian Clemens and others behind the show.[/quote]

I spent several fascinating days at a Con once, chatting up writers, producers, a director and Michael Keating in the Con break room (I was staff photog) Wonderful conversations and they loved the idea of a technicon featuring behind the scenes people. We all even planned how one would be laid out.
I didn't sell out. I bought in.

I made you a Soul but I ate it.

Science isn't a Belief, it's Understanding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfuso/
http://blogs.delphiforums.com/alfuso/start
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

Wiebke wrote:
The Gaslight Ghoul wrote:Count me in for the meet too, particularly if it's in London.

In fact there were a few impromptu Avengers fan meets in a bar in London which happened about 5 years ago, which were organized from a previous Avengers forum.

Great fun they were too.

Anyone else on here attend any of these?
You mean at the Phoenix Bar? I went to a couple of those, but I haven't heard anything for years. Shame!
That was the place alright, they just kind of fizzled out in the end, hasn't been one for years, shame really, I used to enjoy the Phoenix nights.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

My father and I might liase with the BFI and see if we can arrange a screening next year of a couple of Avengers episodes with the writers and directors on hand for a question and answer session followed by a late lunch in Chinatown.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Rodney wrote:My father and I might liase with the BFI and see if we can arrange a screening next year of a couple of Avengers episodes with the writers and directors on hand for a question and answer session followed by a late lunch in Chinatown.
It would be nice to see a couple of episodes on the big screen :wink: