Avengers director's cut ?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Borgus Weems wrote:Thanks for that, Timeless - I'd always wondered about that bit!
You're very welcome! I'm trying to recall where I read the script. If I had a link, I'd pass it on so you could have a look yourself. :)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Borgus Weems wrote:
Borgus Weems wrote:And is this true - Sean Connery's character was going to be a dodge & be killed half-way through - the real villain was going to be Mr. Peel! And that when executives saw that Connery wasn't going to be the main villain, they insisted it be reshot?
I'm quoting myself because I knew I had mentioned this somewhere on the board! If the above twists are truly from the original script, that in and of itself would probably have made the script a little more Avengers-like since in many episodes there is a harmless eccentric who is a possible suspect but gets killed, which for the film would have been Connery. If this was filmed, then I suspect that Sean would have been killed in the scenes with the teddy bear suits.

Now, if "Mr. Peel" had been the killer as I've heard was in the original script, was that version filmed and cut, or did they never cast Mr Peel?
I've read the version of the script where de Wynter turns out to not be the villain (and gets killed partway through). It's floating around the 'net somewhere. But it's another version of the script entirely than the one that was filmed.
I think it's probably this version:

http://s135683969.websitehome.co.uk/mis ... draft.html

I wonder how many scripts were written for the movie? I vaguely recall reading in one of Dave Rogers magazines that Sam Hamm wrote a script with Steed and Mrs Peel taking on the mafia - that's one script I'm glad wasn't filmed!
Paul
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

paulpdjh wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Borgus Weems wrote: I'm quoting myself because I knew I had mentioned this somewhere on the board! If the above twists are truly from the original script, that in and of itself would probably have made the script a little more Avengers-like since in many episodes there is a harmless eccentric who is a possible suspect but gets killed, which for the film would have been Connery. If this was filmed, then I suspect that Sean would have been killed in the scenes with the teddy bear suits.

Now, if "Mr. Peel" had been the killer as I've heard was in the original script, was that version filmed and cut, or did they never cast Mr Peel?
I've read the version of the script where de Wynter turns out to not be the villain (and gets killed partway through). It's floating around the 'net somewhere. But it's another version of the script entirely than the one that was filmed.
I think it's probably this version:

http://s135683969.websitehome.co.uk/mis ... draft.html

I wonder how many scripts were written for the movie? I vaguely recall reading in one of Dave Rogers magazines that Sam Hamm wrote a script with Steed and Mrs Peel taking on the mafia - that's one script I'm glad wasn't filmed!
Yes, that's it. Thanks for finding it. :) There were definitely a few versions floating around as the film languished in development hell.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
Cariheart wrote:I actually gave in and bought the movie! Forgive me Syndey! :oops:
Don't worry about it - I got it when it was in a bargain bin. It's an average movie - it's just not "The Avengers". I liked some of the design.

same thought here....I see it in the bargain bins here in town..from time to time...99 cents or cheaper...one of the all time movie BOMBS...I'm sure the actors would LOVE to see it go away forever....LOL
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I saw the film for the first time when I was 11 years old, long before I knew that the series existed (although my parents subsequently tried to get me to watch the series, which I refused to do on the grounds that the movie was so risible). Both leads were miscast, but they might have cleared that hurdle with a passable script. As it was, they changed the characters and their relationship so materially that it was no longer an "Avengers" film, but a film about some characters that bore some slight resemblance to a television show of the same name.

Taking the film just as a film, though, it doesn't have much to recommend it. It's a sub-par action movie, the camp element is too self-aware to be viable, Sean Connery overacts his part and Fiennes and Thurman don't seem to be aware of how they're supposed to play it. The threats of sexual violence are also a bit much, and seem very out of place with the tone of the film. All in all, it's a bad film period, and even worse when you compare it with the show. I don't see why any Avengers fan needs to see it, except as an example of how easily and substantially one can screw up a good concept.

A director's cut is unlikely, given the total lack of popularity of the film (it has a 3.8 rating on Imdb, and that's by fanboys who like girls in leather outfits).
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:The scenery, costumes and SPFX should be impressive - in a budget of $80 Million. Everything else falls short, from the casting to the acting to the story to well, you name it. I mean I think it is a terrible movie, but that's just my opinion.

It was just a cash in and they thought they could get away with it. They probably expected a franchise.
They were planning on a franchise. I saw the movie before I saw the series, making me probably the only Avengers fan on the planet who had the chance to watch it without bias. I remember being quite clearly being asked what I thought of it afterwards, and I said it was fun. I had no idea there was some 37-year-old series behind it. It's better than a lot of the movies that come out nowadays (i.e., it has a plot). After I watched some of the Emmas I went back and rewatched it and spent a good hour lamenting what they'd done to poor Steed and Emma. But as a straightforward piece of entertainment, I've seen much, much worse.
well, that's one way of looking at it...it was stillborn..or D.O.A. in the states, WARNER BROS..did not allow press screenings...they knew they had an major bomb on their hands..and they did...however, i would be interested in seeing an re edited version with added footages etc..

but something tells me...it still probably would bite the big weenie..

i actually knew someone who LIKED the film...