When did you discover The Avengers ?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

*bows*
Wow Timeless, that's amazing. It's funny because I feel exactly the same way about Purdey, she's obviously been through a lot and keeps people at arms length. Only I would've never been able to write it down the way you did.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I've never thought about the connection of Keel's fiancee being killed (which triggers the whole show) with Cathy and Emma's (presumed in her case) widowhood. Not to mention Purdey's ex-boyfriend.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Philippa wrote:*bows*
Wow Timeless, that's amazing. It's funny because I feel exactly the same way about Purdey, she's obviously been through a lot and keeps people at arms length. Only I would've never been able to write it down the way you did.
Thank you! I'm glad I was even coherent, but it's fun to write my musings. Maybe I'll have time for more of them later.
I've never thought about the connection of Keel's fiancee being killed (which triggers the whole show) with Cathy and Emma's (presumed in her case) widowhood. Not to mention Purdey's ex-boyfriend.
I've always found it interesting that there's such a bad run in the mates department for all the characters. 4 out of 7's pretty bad--two husbands and two fiancees (remember Larry and Purdey were due to be married in a few weeks). Poor Keel sort of sets the precedent--the others are perennial loners (this leaves Tara, and I can never figure out why she went into the business. No issues!). In a sense, the job seems to attract those with nothing to lose, or have already lost. It amkes them more interesting as characters, I think.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

I've always found it interesting that there's such a bad run in the mates department for all the characters. 4 out of 7's pretty bad--two husbands and two fiancees (remember Larry and Purdey were due to be married in a few weeks). Poor Keel sort of sets the precedent--the others are perennial loners (this leaves Tara, and I can never figure out why she went into the business. No issues!). In a sense, the job seems to attract those with nothing to lose, or have already lost. It amkes them more interesting as characters, I think.
I agree. It is interesting how most of the characters had bad luck with their relationships, from Dr. Keel to Purdey, and I'm sure that is why they're hesitant about developing new ones.
Allen
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Artanis wrote:
I agree. It is interesting how most of the characters had bad luck with their relationships, from Dr. Keel to Purdey, and I'm sure that is why they're hesitant about developing new ones.
Oh, definitely. I've always found it an interesting trend. If the John Steed Authorised biography is to be believed, Steed has a murdered wife as well. The bottom line is, no entirely well-adjusted person would choose a job like that. They've all got enough baggage for a dozne Bentleys. Both Emma's parents were dead by 21. Gambit left home at 14. Early backgrounders had Mrs. Gale with kids who were killed along with her husband (I assume this was thought to be too much and subsequently deleted). Well, like Linda Thorson said when asked if she thought Tara was a good role model:

"No. I don't think anyone in the secret service would be a good role model."

So there you go. Tara King--corrupting the nation's youth since 1968. And she's the well-adjusted one! :wink:

Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

I wonder if Mother has a similar background because we never learn much about him.
Timeless A-Peel wrote:So there you go. Tara King--corrupting the nation's youth since 1968. And she's the well-adjusted one! :wink:
:lol:
Allen
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Artanis wrote:I wonder if Mother has a similar background because we never learn much about him.
Timeless A-Peel wrote:So there you go. Tara King--corrupting the nation's youth since 1968. And she's the well-adjusted one! :wink:
Mother's supposed to be an ex-agent who was injured in the field and had to retire. His injury has left him in chronic pain, which is why he's so grouchy. So another sadder story for him. Now we just need one for Tara. I still can't fathom how that character came to the Ministry. She was supoosedly an ex-actress. Take the wrong door to the talent agency? :lol:

wreker
White Dwarf

Post by wreker »

I watched the sixties series ( with Emma Peel) in the early seventies when it was on dutch en belgian tv. (I am from belgium by the way.)De wrekers they called it there. :D
And I was crazy about them. The repeats helped a lot offcourse. 8)
So many years later seeing it on DVD , I still find it very amusing. It's got everything a good serie needs. Suspence , humor, action , mistery, great music etc...
It just like it's made today.

Excuses if my english is not good, but I'm not used to type in english. :D
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

wreker wrote:I watched the sixties series ( with Emma Peel) in the early seventies when it was on dutch en belgian tv. (I am from belgium by the way.)De wrekers they called it there. :D
And I was crazy about them. The repeats helped a lot offcourse. 8)
So many years later seeing it on DVD , I still find it very amusing. It's got everything a good serie needs. Suspence , humor, action , mistery, great music etc...
It just like it's made today.

Excuses if my english is not good, but I'm not used to type in english. :D
Understood every word. Welcome aboard! :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Artanis wrote:I wonder if Mother has a similar background because we never learn much about him.
Mother's supposed to be an ex-agent who was injured in the field and had to retire. His injury has left him in chronic pain, which is why he's so grouchy. So another sadder story for him. Now we just need one for Tara. I still can't fathom how that character came to the Ministry. She was supoosedly an ex-actress. Take the wrong door to the talent agency? :lol:
Tara is a good agent. She knows how to be a good agent.
She hasn't taken the wrong door".
I've been blessed by The Avengers!