The Avengers DVD Set 4 (Series 5) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Not even, "We are aware of the the problem, and will be issuing a formal statement as soon as we can."?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Cybernowt wrote:As well as a major cock up with the mastering, there's also a serious Optimum PR cock up going on. Mistakes happen but they can be rectified, and the faster they are rectified, the less lasting damage is done.

By not making a simple announcement such as 'Replacement discs will be available, but not for 6 weeks.' Optimum are going to seriously dent their sales of this and series 6.

I've waited a week or so in case an announcement appeared, but as it hasn't the set will be going back for a refund tomorrow.
3 out of the 4 sets released have had problems requiring replacement programmes. I don't think Optimum were able to issue such statements when the earlier problems came to light, either. They did issue instructions to contact an email address in order to get a postal address to return disks for replacements once the problems were fixed.

As only the season 3 set has been "right first time", it's wise to wait before buying.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Optimum have issued a statement regarding the audio issues:
Since the release of the Avengers Series 5 box-set, Optimum Releasing have received a small number of complaints about the audio pitch levels on some of the episodes. This series was extensively restored from the original materials by some of the leading French technical labs. We are currently investigating the extent of this issue with them and should have more news soon. While these checks are carried out The Avengers 50th Anniversary box-set has been put on temporary hold.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

No mention of Season Six I note, a lot of people do seem to assume this will also be affected, so its a little worrying they're not postponing that as well :?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Alan wrote:Optimum have issued a statement regarding the audio issues:
Since the release of the Avengers Series 5 box-set, Optimum Releasing have received a small number of complaints about the audio pitch levels on some of the episodes. This series was extensively restored from the original materials by some of the leading French technical labs. We are currently investigating the extent of this issue with them and should have more news soon. While these checks are carried out The Avengers 50th Anniversary box-set has been put on temporary hold.
I thought it affected all of the episodes?
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote:
Some people seem unaffected. I still read posts congratulating Optimum on the restoration work - I've just read one on Roobarb's - and nary a word on the pitch problem.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
torishu
White Dwarf

Post by torishu »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Some people seem unaffected. I still read posts congratulating Optimum on the restoration work - I've just read one on Roobarb's - and nary a word on the pitch problem.
I think it's more a case of not being sensitive to pitch, as I'm sure you mean.

To clarify, I doubt some batches are unaffected. It's just that some people don't notice it as well as others.

At any rate, this is hopeful news and what many of us had been clamoring for: acknowledgment. Thanks for the update, Alan, and I await the fix as well as the complete series set!
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Frankymole wrote:
I suspect the announcement has a modicum of damage limitation built in... It's quite likely that the person who wrote the announcement is not technical staff (hence the mention of "pitch levels", which is nonsensical) and not aware of the full extent of the problem. I'm sure that the whole set is being looked at, not just specific episodes.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

torishu wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Some people seem unaffected. I still read posts congratulating Optimum on the restoration work - I've just read one on Roobarb's - and nary a word on the pitch problem.
I think it's more a case of not being sensitive to pitch, as I'm sure you mean.

To clarify, I doubt some batches are unaffected. It's just that some people don't notice it as well as others.
Indeed. I think that is the case, but some people seem to be able to live with it. Hense that comment from Optimum.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Prendergast
Thingumajig

Post by Prendergast »

Will NOT be buying this until they fix their LATEST mistake.

:(