The Avengers - Series 5 + 6 replacement discs

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

MRotten wrote:
Tara46 wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Have you checked The Positve-Negative Man? One report is saying it is no different. :?
I have received an e-mail from Optimum this morning which may explain some of the comments.

"Please accept our apologies there has been a mix up on the replacement discs for series 5 we sent you earlier this week, we will dispatch another set shortly.

There is no need to send back the discs you received previously.

Many thanks

Optimum Releasing"

Hope this helps
:?
Replacements for the replacements? Oh dear, this is getting complicated.
I think I'll wait another month before buying again!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

MRotten wrote:
Tara46 wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Have you checked The Positve-Negative Man? One report is saying it is no different. :?
I have received an e-mail from Optimum this morning which may explain some of the comments.

"Please accept our apologies there has been a mix up on the replacement discs for series 5 we sent you earlier this week, we will dispatch another set shortly.

There is no need to send back the discs you received previously.

Many thanks

Optimum Releasing"

Hope this helps
:?
Replacements for the replacements? Oh dear, this is getting complicated.
This is sounding like a remake of The Town of No Return, except Mrs Peel would be saying, "and another replacement to replace another replacement. Soon you could run out of replacements!" :lol:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

I watched this episode last night on the V3 corrected discs recieved from Optimum, and there is indeed an issue with the speed of Steed's speech during the scene at the lake when he is taking to Cynthia about accessing the files on Project 90. It seems to return back to normal during the next scene.

Hopefully the corrected V4 discs will address this issue.

That aside, I thoughly enjoyed this episode which I hadn't watched for a while. The remastered video looked excellent. :D
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Tara46 wrote:
I watched this episode last night on the V3 corrected discs recieved from Optimum, and there is indeed an issue with the speed of Steed's speech during the scene at the lake when he is taking to Cynthia about accessing the files on Project 90. It seems to return back to normal during the next scene.
When the sound fault was pointed out, I watched TP-NM and that was the only scene that made me think, "oh there is a fault" - as it wasn't apparent to my ears (I've watched the majority of the boxset and never really noticed anything - Forget-me-Knot being very obvious though especially how Tara sounds).

Apparently that scene is odd on the Contender disc too.
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

Darren wrote:
Tara46 wrote:
When the sound fault was pointed out, I watched TP-NM and that was the only scene that made me think, "oh there is a fault" - as it wasn't apparent to my ears (I've watched the majority of the boxset and never really noticed anything - Forget-me-Knot being very obvious though especially how Tara sounds).

Apparently that scene is odd on the Contender disc too.

I'll dig out my Contender copy and have a listen. I've also received another e-mail from Optimum today saying the following

"We have had the replacement discs check by our authoring house and they have confirmed they contain the corrected masters. These are identifiable by holding the data side of the disc up to the light where V3 is visible around the inner ring of the disc.

Therefore the series 5 discs we sent out to you are correct and contain the correct pitching."

Many thanks

Optimum Releasing

I must say the section of TP-NM that has been highlighted is the only thing that sounds a little odd to me on the corrected V3 discs.
:D
Tara46
Thingumajig

Post by Tara46 »

I've just played the same section of TP-NM on my Contender set, and it is exactly the same on that version as well. I've never noticed it before, but with the catalogue of problems that have been encountered on the new Optimum sets, I think I've become quite over-sensitive listening for issues.

If the problem is already present I not sure what they would have to do to rectify it. It didn't spoil my enjoyment last night anyway, and it was quite a shock to compare the difference in picture quality between the Contender & Optimum sets when I played the older version this afternoon. :D
jtomlin1uk
Nutshell

Post by jtomlin1uk »

That was my finding as well when I compared the two discs. I'm assuming the ten second section of "TPNM" is a fault dating from 1967 and is NOT an authoring error.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Tara46 wrote:... it was quite a shock to compare the difference in picture quality between the Contender & Optimum sets when I played the older version this afternoon. :D
You should try watch one of the original A&E Cathy sets and compare that to the new ones! The first time I saw The Secrets Broker on an A&E set I was greatly disappointed, because I could barely see a thing; it was like peering thruogh a thick fog at midnight. The Contender Cathy Gale complete set was a huge improvement on that but the new ones knock them both into a cocked hat.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

dissolute wrote:
Tara46 wrote:... it was quite a shock to compare the difference in picture quality between the Contender & Optimum sets when I played the older version this afternoon. :D
You should try watch one of the original A&E Cathy sets and compare that to the new ones! The first time I saw The Secrets Broker on an A&E set I was greatly disappointed, because I could barely see a thing; it was like peering thruogh a thick fog at midnight. The Contender Cathy Gale complete set was a huge improvement on that but the new ones knock them both into a cocked hat.
In addition, the A & E sets edited out the captian cards, resulting in awkward transitions, as the music comes in and out with them. I don't bother watching those anymore. The Optimum versions are truly that.
jld21
Nutshell

Post by jld21 »

On Tuesday, I sent all of Series 5 and Disc 1 of Series 6 to Optimum. Today, I received replacement copies of all of Series 5, but no replacement copy of Disc 1 of Series 6. Did you all receive them together or separately? Thanks!