The Avengers on Blu-ray in France

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Are these original press kits available to view online? Just wondering from a design standpoint.
widescream
Thingumajig

Post by widescream »

Does anyone know which year/series they are planning on putting on Bluray first? Or it it too early to say?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

After watching Death Dispatch at lunchtime, I can tell you Blue ray won't make these episodes look a lot better than the new DVD set.

Nice clear picture and far better sound.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

My idea too.
BTW: in 2010 both Panasonic and Sony will present a new technology, meant to replace BluRay. Both companies will present their OWN technology. So: two different systems, which won't be interchangeable.
THe systems would be on the market in 2011.
All that means that BluRay is already dead.
I think it even means that dvd will survive BluRay.
That means that we'll probably never see the Avengers on BluRay.
But it also means we wouldn't need it, because DVD would go on, and - if it is true what I have been reading in some of the posts here on the forum - they will also be available on line.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Whatever system comes next will have to be backwards-compatible with DVD, people are getting fed up having to re-buy everything 3 or 4 times (at least BluRay players can play DVDs!)...
Last watched: "Concerto"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Peter Motte wrote:My idea too.
BTW: in 2010 both Panasonic and Sony will present a new technology, meant to replace BluRay. Both companies will present their OWN technology. So: two different systems, which won't be interchangeable.
THe systems would be on the market in 2011.
All that means that BluRay is already dead.
I think it even means that dvd will survive BluRay.
That means that we'll probably never see the Avengers on BluRay.
But it also means we wouldn't need it, because DVD would go on, and - if it is true what I have been reading in some of the posts here on the forum - they will also be available on line.
Sorry, Peter, but that's utter tosh. Blu-ray is doing very well, and we will definitely see The Avengers on the format. Just because new technologies are being developed doesn't mean that the public will adopt them. Remember CD-V? Video-CD? Digital VHS? DCC? SACD? DVD-Audio? All were meant to supplant the then current format and capture the public imagination and did neither.

Blu-ray will be here for a good few years yet, as will DVD.

As for your comment about not needing Blu-ray because DVD will continue is rather missing the point of Blu-ray - high definition. DVD is standard definition and the difference is palpable.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

You can now pre-order The Avengers fourth season on Blu-ray from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... rvi_cart_2
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Frankymole wrote:Whatever system comes next will have to be backwards-compatible with DVD, people are getting fed up having to re-buy everything 3 or 4 times (at least BluRay players can play DVDs!)...

I think that having to keep buying is the idea behind it.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Allard wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Whatever system comes next will have to be backwards-compatible with DVD, people are getting fed up having to re-buy everything 3 or 4 times (at least BluRay players can play DVDs!)...

I think that having to keep buying is the idea behind it.
I don't think the mnakers of players feel that - that's why they made BluRay able to play "old" standard DVDs (backwards compatibility) - it's different companies to those who make the sell-through disks, usually.

I'm intrigued to read more about this "successor to Bl;uRay" - I thought streaming or downloads was supposed to be "the Next Big Thing"?
Last watched: "Concerto"
widescream
Thingumajig

Post by widescream »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:You can now pre-order The Avengers fourth season on Blu-ray from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... rvi_cart_2
That's great to see. But this is a UK release is it not? I thought the first Avenger Blurays were going to be from France? Not that I am complaining.....

I imagine they are stating with the Emma Peel era first to gauge interest, then they will do either the Cathy or Tara ones next.