Season 5: Another Creative Idea

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Is relook a verb?
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

dissolute wrote:Is relook a verb?
Apparently it is and I think can be used as a noun Piers. Better ask Rodney. But I completely agree we just don't speak right across the pond. :lol:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Episodes remaining:
The Bird Who Knew Too Much
The See-Through Man
The Living Dead
Never, Never Say Die
The Superlative Seven
Something Nasty in the Nursery
Dead Man’s Treasure
The Positive-Negative Man
Mission…Highly Improbable

The Living Dead just came back to life!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Just rewatched The Winged Avenger which is great fun and clever. Timeless chose wisely there. Quite a daring episode with its camp pop art. I guess in some ways The Avengers circa 1967 was for UK audiences what Batman was for US ones. Both were hip and fun, and tongue in cheek.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodders wrote:Just rewatched The Winged Avenger which is great fun and clever. Timeless chose wisely there. Quite a daring episode with its camp pop art. I guess in some ways The Avengers circa 1967 was for UK audiences what Batman was for US ones. Both were hip and fun, and tongue in cheek.
It was my first-ever episode of the show, and it made enough of an impression that I wanted to watch more! :D There's a lot to recommend it, and visually it's a real treat. I look forward to going back to my roots of the show for it, so to speak.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Rodders wrote:Just rewatched The Winged Avenger which is great fun and clever. Timeless chose wisely there. Quite a daring episode with its camp pop art. I guess in some ways The Avengers circa 1967 was for UK audiences what Batman was for US ones. Both were hip and fun, and tongue in cheek.
It was my first-ever episode of the show, and it made enough of an impression that I wanted to watch more! :D There's a lot to recommend it, and visually it's a real treat. I look forward to going back to my roots of the show for it, so to speak.
those sequences where comic strip and reality switch seamlessly are stunning and it is such a self-referential episode as the colour Avengerland was becoming increasingly like a playful comic. I can't think of a better writer to do the episode justice.
By mid-1960s, the Batman comic had evolved from serious detective stories to surreal, tongue-in-cheek tales. Sound familiar? The Batman film (1966) to promote the show even looked at Cold War themes such as Polaris missiles.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Rodders wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
those sequences where comic strip and reality switch seamlessly are stunning and it is such a self-referential episode as the colour Avengerland was becoming increasingly like a playful comic. I can't think of a better writer to do the episode justice.
By mid-1960s, the Batman comic had evolved from serious detective stories to surreal, tongue-in-cheek tales. Sound familiar? The Batman film (1966) to promote the show even looked at Cold War themes such as Polaris missiles.
It's particularly effective if you're a comic book fan (I am), because they put so much effort into designing the panels and doing up a mock cover. And there's the surreal aspect of the illustrator knowing exactly how the scene is going to unfold. And it definitely mirrors the feel of the show at the time. I haven't watched much Batman, but I can see the parallels. I shall do my best to do it justice. Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Rodders wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: It was my first-ever episode of the show, and it made enough of an impression that I wanted to watch more! :D There's a lot to recommend it, and visually it's a real treat. I look forward to going back to my roots of the show for it, so to speak.
It's particularly effective if you're a comic book fan (I am), because they put so much effort into designing the panels and doing up a mock cover. And there's the surreal aspect of the illustrator knowing exactly how the scene is going to unfold. And it definitely mirrors the feel of the show at the time. I haven't watched much Batman, but I can see the parallels. I shall do my best to do it justice. Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D
No Pressure! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

When I was writing my essay on "A Touch of Brimstone" I did something I'd never done before. I watched the episode a couple of times between rounds of research and revision and then I LISTENED to the episode.

It was an extraordinary thing - I so often lose track of the sound of an episode because I'm so focused on the visual (which is how it should be, the sign of a good soundtrack).
Dropping the visual element made me sit up and pay more attention to the careful craftmanship of not only Laurie Johnson but also Jack T. Kinght.

(Which reminds me, Rodney, I may not have named Jack as the sound editor).
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Well The Winged Avenger clearly was an homage to the Batman TV show. The final fight is a riff on the bat fights. Even the darker elements of the episode are influenced from the other show. The first season of Batman was very dark and heavy in German expressionism