Paul O'Grady mentions The Avengers again.

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Ginandtonic
Little Wonder

Post by Ginandtonic »

We can't seem to get a mention :( he's gone through birthdays, people off to see take that, and wished people well prior to a foot operation...

Have sent another message on the radios website during a song earlier, so that's three they've had... still listening so stay posted... just can't see him wishing us well, we're shooting some footage next Saturday and would love for Paul to wish us luck on air.
Ginandtonic
Little Wonder

Post by Ginandtonic »

Damn and blast... the show finished and not a single mention or wish of luck. The researchers at Radio 2 want shooting... they know he's a huge fan, they know he's hosting the anniversary... so when someone says that want him to wish the cast and crew luck with filming a tribute reviving the show briefly (if Canal turn us down, it will be a brief revival) then why aren't they and the producer sticking it uder his nose to mention?

I missed the first half hour, when he plugged the anniversary event, and when he took a swipe at ITV for ignoring it, so can't undersatnd when a team of film professionals are going to have a go at bringing it back this wouldn't be music to his ears... I know we're small fry and not a big studio or company like BBC or ITV, but the notion of someone attempting this as no one else has in the last 35 years (ignoring the film of course) is good news... if it wasn't us doing it and I was fan that heard someone was trying to revive it, I'd be like 'Well about time too'...

Sorry for rant everyone... I've been good to keep emotion out of any posts on here, as I have to, but... I can't help feeling bitter at this point...
It's not Paul O'Grady's fault but the producers, production assistants, and researchers who work on the ITV show and the radio show have had many messages off us over the last two weeks now, (now that we've finally got this tribute cranking along), and if there was anyone who we thought would give us a mention or wish us luck on air it would be Paul, but whoever is working on his show is doing a poor job not passing this on to him.

We may just be a one off that will only be aired online, or we could become a part of this illustrious history and see this great show continue on TV, whether for years or a one off mini series. We've tried the papers but nothing... we're trying again tomorrow. Other new shows that haven't finished shooting have no trouble getting publicity whether papers, TV or radio, even when they are unknowns... and we really shouldn't be any different.

Really sorry everyone for this outburst... but we're all dead passionate here about getting this show back, there is an audience out there for it, and I honestly can't see anyone else doing it. If the BBC didn't have Dr Who or Sherlock, I figured they might have... and as for ITV, considering it's the 50th they have missed a golden opportunity, they are already struggling and a revived Avengers could easily win back the viewing figures they need especially to boost revenue through advertising...

Yes the show has been away for 35 years, and frankly it's an abomination that it hasn't been picked again in all that time, the show was a benchmark of success, good writing, casting, performances, and considering the vast majority of awful television we're subjected to, I just cannot fathom it... ITV now the trouble they're in yet continue to churn out the same stuff that is turning people off. 35 years since the New Avengers, so why bother now... because it should have been done at least 15 years ago!

Sorry sorry sorry to the moderators... I'm going to have drink and calm down :P
Ketman
Thingumajig

Post by Ketman »

Have you considered going round to the Channel 4 studios, donning a bird costume with steel talons and climbing up the outside of the building...?
Ginandtonic
Little Wonder

Post by Ginandtonic »

Don't tempt me LOL

:P

But in all seriousness Channel 4 might be someone we will approach if negotiations have gone well with Canal+ later this year.
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

I don't think his Radio 2 show is live.... so you may get a mention this Sunday (fingers crossed)...
Last watched: The Undertakers
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Ginandtonic wrote:Damn and blast... the show finished and not a single mention or wish of luck. The researchers at Radio 2 want shooting... they know he's a huge fan, they know he's hosting the anniversary... so when someone says that want him to wish the cast and crew luck with filming a tribute reviving the show briefly (if Canal turn us down, it will be a brief revival) then why aren't they and the producer sticking it uder his nose to mention?

I missed the first half hour, when he plugged the anniversary event, and when he took a swipe at ITV for ignoring it, so can't undersatnd when a team of film professionals are going to have a go at bringing it back this wouldn't be music to his ears... I know we're small fry and not a big studio or company like BBC or ITV, but the notion of someone attempting this as no one else has in the last 35 years (ignoring the film of course) is good news... if it wasn't us doing it and I was fan that heard someone was trying to revive it, I'd be like 'Well about time too'...

Sorry for rant everyone... I've been good to keep emotion out of any posts on here, as I have to, but... I can't help feeling bitter at this point...
It's not Paul O'Grady's fault but the producers, production assistants, and researchers who work on the ITV show and the radio show have had many messages off us over the last two weeks now, (now that we've finally got this tribute cranking along), and if there was anyone who we thought would give us a mention or wish us luck on air it would be Paul, but whoever is working on his show is doing a poor job not passing this on to him.

We may just be a one off that will only be aired online, or we could become a part of this illustrious history and see this great show continue on TV, whether for years or a one off mini series. We've tried the papers but nothing... we're trying again tomorrow. Other new shows that haven't finished shooting have no trouble getting publicity whether papers, TV or radio, even when they are unknowns... and we really shouldn't be any different.

Really sorry everyone for this outburst... but we're all dead passionate here about getting this show back, there is an audience out there for it, and I honestly can't see anyone else doing it. If the BBC didn't have Dr Who or Sherlock, I figured they might have... and as for ITV, considering it's the 50th they have missed a golden opportunity, they are already struggling and a revived Avengers could easily win back the viewing figures they need especially to boost revenue through advertising...

Yes the show has been away for 35 years, and frankly it's an abomination that it hasn't been picked again in all that time, the show was a benchmark of success, good writing, casting, performances, and considering the vast majority of awful television we're subjected to, I just cannot fathom it... ITV now the trouble they're in yet continue to churn out the same stuff that is turning people off. 35 years since the New Avengers, so why bother now... because it should have been done at least 15 years ago!

Sorry sorry sorry to the moderators... I'm going to have drink and calm down :P
can certainly understand the rant..and yeah, it's maddening...and the powers that be,have missed a chance to re boot the show....50th anniversary..and more,,,
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

Paul mentioned The Avengers last Sunday on Radio 2. He played UB40 and Chrissie Hynde and he said how much he liked Chrissie because of her fondness for The Avengers. (The video to "Don't Get Me Wrong" featured The Avengers of course!) :D
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

...and he mentioned them again about 10 minutes later! :P :P

He said he joined the Civil Service because of The Avengers. He was hoping to join "The Ministry" and meet women who could throw men over their shoulders, drive a nice car and live in an Avenger-ish flat. However, it didn't quite work out like that for our Paul!
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

He should associate with Linda Thorson to make a documentary on the series or a comedy. They have a great chemistry. :lol: :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

Paul was just reminiscing on his BBC Radio 2 show about when he had a train set as a kid. He had an Emma Peel doll that he used to tie to the train track.

Presumably after watching "The Gravediggers" no doubt! :P

Keep up The Avengers mentions Paul!