Has there ever been... an Avengers Con?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

Rodney wrote:My father and I might liase with the BFI and see if we can arrange a screening next year of a couple of Avengers episodes with the writers and directors on hand for a question and answer session followed by a late lunch in Chinatown.
If that happens I'll buy a plane ticket to London just for the pleasure of being with The Avengers team.
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Having organised a number of location tours and smaller conventions there's a lot that would need to be planned.

Surely the best date for any proposed event would be in 2011 - marking the 50th anniversary of The Avengers.

A suitable location would ideally be close to London to allow best use of transport links (both nationally and internationally) - maybe even allowing for a few locations to be seen. The venue itself would need to have good AV facilities to ensure any screenings/interviews are conducted professionally.

A list of potential guests should be drawn up now and contact/dialogue should begin now so they have plenty of notice. I'd go for the crew first as they are the people who worked on the show every day, saw how things developed/changed and are always more interesting. A couple of actors/actresses would be good but preferably these would be leading stars. Obviously these people need to be looked after, fed, have a good place to stay, etc, so all these need to be thought about.

Canal + would need to be contacted to give their blessing to the event and you'd want them to support it in some capacity.

The event would need to be stylish, like the series and be planned with great detail.

I'm not putting myself forward to organise such an event but would be willing to give help/advice if needed.
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hi Rodney :)
Rodney wrote:My father and I might liase with the BFI and see if we can arrange a screening next year of a couple of Avengers episodes with the writers and directors on hand for a question and answer session followed by a late lunch in Chinatown.
Do you know Dick Fiddy? He's a smashing fella and certainly the best guy to approach over such a venture. It's people like him and Tony Mechele who have been instrumental in such screenings, back to "The Little Wonders" at "Past Visions of the Future" in July 1986, and even before that with material at the legendary Scala if memory serves me correctly.

All the best

Andrew
next thursday
Little Wonder

Post by next thursday »

jaz wrote:Having organised a number of location tours and smaller conventions there's a lot that would need to be planned.

Surely the best date for any proposed event would be in 2011 - marking the 50th anniversary of The Avengers.

A suitable location would ideally be close to London to allow best use of transport links (both nationally and internationally) - maybe even allowing for a few locations to be seen. The venue itself would need to have good AV facilities to ensure any screenings/interviews are conducted professionally.

A list of potential guests should be drawn up now and contact/dialogue should begin now so they have plenty of notice. I'd go for the crew first as they are the people who worked on the show every day, saw how things developed/changed and are always more interesting. A couple of actors/actresses would be good but preferably these would be leading stars. Obviously these people need to be looked after, fed, have a good place to stay, etc, so all these need to be thought about.

Canal + would need to be contacted to give their blessing to the event and you'd want them to support it in some capacity.

The event would need to be stylish, like the series and be planned with great detail.

I'm not putting myself forward to organise such an event but would be willing to give help/advice if needed.
In my experience with Guest Cons, the trouble with *actors* as guests is that they usually want to be paid (too much.) And so there are contracts to consider because if you are paying them, then you expect certain things which have to be set down and agreed to and signed.

That's why behind the scenes people are so good - they often do it for bed and beer. . .

Nonetheless, if it's in 2010 or 2011 I will do my best to come. I hope to visit London next late August. Perhaps I can meet some of you there.
I didn't sell out. I bought in.

I made you a Soul but I ate it.

Science isn't a Belief, it's Understanding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfuso/
http://blogs.delphiforums.com/alfuso/start
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

Conventions, to me, seem to be more about bartering for useless trinkets or trying to collect autographs and such. I'd much rather see an Avengers museum where several of the sets get re-created in real life and you can actually stand there and look at the stuff as though you were in the episode. Just my two cents.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

next thursday wrote: In my experience with Guest Cons, the trouble with *actors* as guests is that they usually want to be paid (too much.) And so there are contracts to consider because if you are paying them, then you expect certain things which have to be set down and agreed to and signed.

That's why behind the scenes people are so good - they often do it for bed and beer. . .
Also with an actor who may have appeared briefly in the series (unless you're talking about one of the leads. Or Peter Bowles) would have to have a considerable memory of one job 30/40 years ago.

Better the cameraman who was there for a few years. You could ask him how much he made! :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

future avengers con ?

Post by mousemeat »

ricardomartins wrote:
If that happens I'll buy a plane ticket to London just for the pleasure of being with The Avengers team.
boy, that sounds like fun..would like to be apart of this, as well..
next thursday
Little Wonder

Re: future avengers con ?

Post by next thursday »

mousemeat wrote:
ricardomartins wrote:
boy, that sounds like fun..would like to be apart of this, as well..
I'd try to arrange my holiday to England around it.
I didn't sell out. I bought in.

I made you a Soul but I ate it.

Science isn't a Belief, it's Understanding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfuso/
http://blogs.delphiforums.com/alfuso/start
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

Rodney, I was going to contact Dick Fiddy through the National Film Theatre and ask them about what they would need to organise such an event for The Avengers but think the call would have much more impact coming from you or your father.

I think Dick Fiddy works for the BFI/NFT and speaks highly about The Avengers on the BBC4 documentary The Avengers Revisited.

I am a graphic designer by trade and could help with design work for flyers and posters if needed which I would happily give my time free of charge as would love to see this happen and be a success. The National Film Theatre is a great place for events, screenings and fans to mingle in the bar afterwards, I regularly attend a James Bond fan drink in the bar there.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

Big Bear wrote:Rodney, I was going to contact Dick Fiddy through the National Film Theatre and ask them about what they would need to organise such an event for The Avengers but think the call would have much more impact coming from you or your father.

I think Dick Fiddy works for the BFI/NFT and speaks highly about The Avengers on the BBC4 documentary The Avengers Revisited.

I am a graphic designer by trade and could help with design work for flyers and posters if needed which I would happily give my time free of charge as would love to see this happen and be a success. The National Film Theatre is a great place for events, screenings and fans to mingle in the bar afterwards, I regularly attend a James Bond fan drink in the bar there.
I would gladly be in charge of the publicity of the Avengers Event in my country.

Is there any Bond con regurarly in the BFI? In what time of the year? I would like very much to attend to it.