Julie Stevens

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Post by mrspeel01 »

I can only assume that the importance of having such a pro-active, ground breaking female Character as Cathy, especially at that time, precluded an analysis about the considered importance of the relationship between Steed and Venus. I can't imagine the then production team took the time to analyse it in the way it can be analysed today.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

When Honor Blackman was considered for the role her age was a concern, preference was for someone younger. And I agree, Blackman was not old at the time, but this is what happened.
mrspeel01
Thingumajig

Post by mrspeel01 »

In the books I have read, and have just checked, the outline/profile of the character Cathy Gale states she is approx 35 (mid 30s) The outline for Venus was as a younger character.

It is stated that Sydney Newman (often credited as "creator" of the series) who was head of drama at ABC at the time, told the then producer Leonard White when Honor's name was mentioned that he didn't want her. He said he hated those that had come through the "Rank Studios charm school". Newman felt thay were groomed to constantly smile and be amiable and he saw Cathy as a tougher character, which he didn't feel Honor could portray. But of course she did so billiantly. I haven't read/heard that her age was a concern, particularly as she fit the character outline in terms of age.

It is also stated that Moira Redmond was on the shortlist for Emma Peel (after the departure of Elizabeth Shepherd) and she is just 3 years younger than Honor! Brian Clemens often stated that it was between Moira and Diana Rigg but that it was felt a (TV) unknown was preferable, plus Diana had really impressed in her screen test and with her chemistry with Macnee.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

On 27th May 2019, the team of website The Showreel Team posted the material with some interesting details about Julie Stevens: :)

https://showreel.thetvroom.com/talent-p ... #more-7708

Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Curious, I am now studying TV Times for 7-13 October 1962, and there is a little note about Julie Stevens, where she says the following about her role in The Avengers:

It is my debut as TV actress.
I did once have a part in a TV play but I was never seen. it was in a naval story. I stood behind a screen and said "Lieutenant Madison wanted in the anteroom, please!".

I went to study TV Times magazines further - maybe I will find something else interesting. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Last edited by denis rigg on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Interesting to find that out; her debut is very good!
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators