When did you discover The Avengers ?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Artanis wrote:I wonder if Mother has a similar background because we never learn much about him.
:lol:
Mother's supposed to be an ex-agent who was injured in the field and had to retire. His injury has left him in chronic pain, which is why he's so grouchy. So another sadder story for him. Now we just need one for Tara. I still can't fathom how that character came to the Ministry. She was supoosedly an ex-actress. Take the wrong door to the talent agency? :lol:
Tara is a good agent. She knows how to be a good agent.
She hasn't taken the wrong door".
I wasn't saying anything about her proficiency as an agent. What I was trying to say is I can't figure out why her character chose to join the Ministry. She's not a hangover from the war years, like Steed. She's not a humanitarian whose sense of duty is being manipulated by Steed, like Cathy and Keel. She's not a thrill-seeker, like Emma and Gambit. And she's not a second-generation agent like Purdey. So why is she there? She seems much too down-to-earth and normal for the business. Who put her on to it? Why did she choose to go? And at such a young age?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

So why is she there? She seems much too down-to-earth and normal for the business. Who put her on to it? Why did she choose to go? And at such a young age?
Maybe she thought it would be fun to be a secret agent. Or maybe hearing about all of Steed's adventures is what inspired Tara to join The Ministry. That could explain why she likes him so much.
Allen
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Artanis wrote:
So why is she there? She seems much too down-to-earth and normal for the business. Who put her on to it? Why did she choose to go? And at such a young age?
Maybe she thought it would be fun to be a secret agent. Or maybe hearing about all of Steed's adventures is what inspired Tara to join The Ministry. That could explain why she likes him so much.
I suppose she could have been recruited or something. She couldn't have been more than 18 or 19 when she joined. I don't know if she would have heard about Steed beforehand--wouldn't his adventures be hushed up? She mentioned hearing all about him in training, too.

JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
JohnSteedFr wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: Mother's supposed to be an ex-agent who was injured in the field and had to retire. His injury has left him in chronic pain, which is why he's so grouchy. So another sadder story for him. Now we just need one for Tara. I still can't fathom how that character came to the Ministry. She was supoosedly an ex-actress. Take the wrong door to the talent agency? :lol:
Tara is a good agent. She knows how to be a good agent.
I wasn't saying anything about her proficiency as an agent. What I was trying to say is I can't figure out why her character chose to join the Ministry. She's not a hangover from the war years, like Steed. She's not a humanitarian whose sense of duty is being manipulated by Steed, like Cathy and Keel. She's not a thrill-seeker, like Emma and Gambit. And she's not a second-generation agent like Purdey. So why is she there? She seems much too down-to-earth and normal for the business. Who put her on to it? Why did she choose to go? And at such a young age?
Perhaps she joined the ministry because she thought that she was able to be a secret agent, perhaps that she knew how to fight.

Sorry, but I had understood your previous message. :wink:
Okay, I can acknowledge that my answer was not relevant.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

JohnSteedFr wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
JohnSteedFr wrote: Tara is a good agent. She knows how to be a good agent.
Perhaps she joined the ministry because she thought that she was able to be a secret agent, perhaps that she knew how to fight.

Okay, I can acknowledge that my answer was not relevant.
No biggie. :wink: But I still can't fathom how she even came across the training program. Did someone at her school give a talk or some such?

DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Okay, I can acknowledge that my answer was not relevant.[/quote]

No biggie. :wink: But I still can't fathom how she even came across the training program. Did someone at her school give a talk or some such?[/quote]

It's strange that this has come up because MI5 are advertising jobs in national newspapers and magazines these days - not back then, of course.
[/b]
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Artanis wrote:
I suppose she could have been recruited or something. She couldn't have been more than 18 or 19 when she joined. I don't know if she would have heard about Steed beforehand--wouldn't his adventures be hushed up? She mentioned hearing all about him in training, too.
Yeah, in "The Forget-Me-Knot" Tara mentions that she learned the Steed method for this and the Steed method for that.

And I agree, most of Steed's adventures would be covered up, but with all the death and destruction going on, I'm sure some of it was in the newspapers and on TV.
Allen
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

That is an interesting occurrence in the later years. Steed is supposed to be a top secret agent, yet an awful lot of people (enemies, no less) seem to know who he is and where he lives.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Bad Wolf wrote:That is an interesting occurrence in the later years. Steed is supposed to be a top secret agent, yet an awful lot of people (enemies, no less) seem to know who he is and where he lives.
Those in the business would (the Unicorn, etc.). I mean, Steed's been active for at leasrt 17 years (that we know of). Of course people on the other side are going to know about him, and they'll have the resources to find who out who he is and who his partners are (it makes me smile every time I watch The Lion and the Unicorn and the agent reports back that Steed and "the other two" are with the Unicorn. All that training, and the enemy doesn't even see fit to mention you by name. I think I'd be offended!). :lol:

Rodney

Post by Rodney »

When I was a baby my father was still writing for the show and apparently I watched his colour episodes from my high chair...in black and white like the rest of the UK. My first real memories were the Channel 4 repeats of the Peel and King eras and I had earlier watched the New Avengers as a ten year old on my own as my parents were not keen on it.