Remaking the Avengers?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

You're correct. There's always that 'thing', isn't there - Doctor Who came back, the Saint came back, Bond came back. There are even two current Sherlock Holmes projects on the go ... why not The Avengers?

The 'thing' is Doctor Who had a history of being regenerated, there were several Saint movies, radio shows, then the series and a couple of revivals. Sherlock Holmes - the same.

They changed Steed's girl, but they can't change Steed. They tried in 1998 and it was a disaster.

Better to look at The Avengers' legacy and it's influence, rather than recreate it.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Ginandtonic
Little Wonder

Post by Ginandtonic »

We're working on a pilot web-isode, when it's made, try us you might like it. I hear what some are saying, if it's not Macnee in the bowler it's not John Steed, and while I take your point we have to look at the fact that for each generation there have many actors who have played Doctor Who, James Bond, Shelrock Holmes, Batman etc... The Avengers was lucky that for almost it's entire duration 50 years one man embodied that role and in out hearts and minds still does. Which is a sizeable hurdle to overcome not just as viewer to the poor sods who contemplate and attempt to fill those shoes in getting a new series off the ground.

One poor sod right here (points to oneself) :) there are many factors as to why a new series has never been attempted, and this is one of the big ones, maybe there doesn't need to be a new one, but... but there is a demand there is a hope, and I know I'd rather see a new series done right or not at all, those shoes will have to be filled by someone else to get the ball rolling, or all a new series will be is an idea nothing more.
Last edited by Ginandtonic on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginandtonic
Little Wonder

Post by Ginandtonic »

If I can't turn out a good, solid, fun, cheeky, charming, sexy, cool, engaging new series of the Avengers... Well then I will eat my bowler hat and post it on youtube :D
bobbysteed
Nutshell

from Bobby Steed

Post by bobbysteed »

Bully for you! I would love to see a web base version. If you build it they will come! It all started with a dream. I say try it and see if it will work. - Bobby :D
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

We discussed remakes of television programmes at work yesterday, mainly inspired by the forthcoming remake of Upstairs Downstairs. I mentioned that a TV company was interested in making a new version of The Avengers. However, there was some scepticisim, mainly due to the 1998 movie. Encouragingly there was a general consensus that a remake could work, although more people in the office seemed to prefer a remake of either The New Avengers or The Champions . Not a scientific poll, of course, and probably due to people having fond memories of these two shows from their childhood or teenage years. Either that or wanting to see Emila Fox in another action role - she was top choice to play both Purdey and Sharron Macready!
Paul
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

paulpdjh wrote:We discussed remakes of television programmes at work yesterday, mainly inspired by the forthcoming remake of Upstairs Downstairs. I mentioned that a TV company was interested in making a new version of The Avengers. However, there was some scepticisim, mainly due to the 1998 movie. Encouragingly there was a general consensus that a remake could work, although more people in the office seemed to prefer a remake of either The New Avengers or The Champions . Not a scientific poll, of course, and probably due to people having fond memories of these two shows from their childhood or teenage years. Either that or wanting to see Emila Fox in another action role - she was top choice to play both Purdey and Sharron Macready!
I'm still hoping that Guillarmo del Toro will come up with that Champions remake, though not with Emilia Fox--we need someone shorter and curvier for Sharron.

(And if they ever do anything with TNA again, bring Joanna back. :wink: )
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
paulpdjh wrote:We discussed remakes of television programmes at work yesterday, mainly inspired by the forthcoming remake of Upstairs Downstairs. I mentioned that a TV company was interested in making a new version of The Avengers. However, there was some scepticisim, mainly due to the 1998 movie. Encouragingly there was a general consensus that a remake could work, although more people in the office seemed to prefer a remake of either The New Avengers or The Champions . Not a scientific poll, of course, and probably due to people having fond memories of these two shows from their childhood or teenage years. Either that or wanting to see Emila Fox in another action role - she was top choice to play both Purdey and Sharron Macready!
I'm still hoping that Guillarmo del Toro will come up with that Champions remake, though not with Emilia Fox--we need someone shorter and curvier for Sharron.

I'd forgotten that Guillarmo del Toro was planning to make a Champions film. Hopefully it will get made, although it seems to have gone rather quiet recently.

Agree about Joanna. However, we assumed if they ever did bring back TNA she wouldn't want to be involved without Gareth.

Love your TNA website - you've managed to track down some great material. I particularly enjoyed reading the French comic strips and the Daily Mirror's Sleeping Dragon story.
Paul
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

paulpdjh wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

I'd forgotten that Guillarmo del Toro was planning to make a Champions film. Hopefully it will get made, although it seems to have gone rather quiet recently.

Agree about Joanna. However, we assumed if they ever did bring back TNA she wouldn't want to be involved without Gareth.

Love your TNA website - you've managed to track down some great material. I particularly enjoyed reading the French comic strips and the Daily Mirror's Sleeping Dragon story.
Guillarmo sort of got sidetracked by jumping on and off a little project called The Hobbit. I think he's gone from there to something else now, but I still live in hope that Craig, Richard, and Sharron will live again. Alexandra Bastedo and William Gaunt are already fighting over who gets to play Tremayne. :wink:

I think Joanna would probably come back for a cameo or something now, but anything regular she probably wouldn't have done without Gareth, I agree. You really can't have Purdey without Gambit. :)

And many thanks for the kind words about my TNA site. :D Most of the content is sourced from my own collection, and I've tried my best to post the rarer pieces that haven't gotten a lot of attention elsewhere on the net. I've really enjoyed doing it, and I hope to give it a much needed update at some point--I've moved and don't have access to the resources at the moment. But I do have one absolutely unheard of rarity that should provoke some interest when I get to it.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

I think Joanna would probably come back for a cameo or something now, but anything regular she probably wouldn't have done without Gareth, I agree. You really can't have Purdey without Gambit. :)

Oh, I think Purdey with Steed, if Gareth couldn't have shown up, would have been fine, as well in a regular show. Just my opinion!

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

The New Avengers wouldn't be The New Avengers without Gambit I'm afraid. Fact more than opinion.

Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY