Avengers Fanart

Your mission is to post, highlight and discuss Avengers fan fiction, art and other creative endeavours!
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:Very interesting about Clive Revill's acting style as a defector who spent a long time in Russia. He was a very talented and clever man.
Good words, Frankymole!
I often think of Clive Revill, when I watch different foreign films and find actors there as Russian. Clive demonstrated a master class in TNA, his image was at the same time sad, confident, intelligent and mysterious. I will remember it always. :)
Denis
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

denisrigg wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:Oh you must see the Edmond O'Brien version 1949 filmed in San Francisco. It shows a most accurate depiction of San Francisco at the time, the trolley cars, streets remain looking very similar. The best building in DOA is the Bradbury building. I put the link below so you can see the inside. It is the PERFECT film noir building!
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bra ... tedIndex=0

it was in many movies such as Blade Runner. In real life it is sitting next to some McDonald's like place in a bad neighborhood in los angeles. But the inside as you can see is brilliant. It has an interesting story behind it too, but I digress.

I would say that most movies are best as the original. Although maybe you can think of exceptions. If you see it let me know what you think. I am so glad you agree on Dr. Jeckyll. I am usually not too critical, but talk about miscasting.

As far as the traditional Russian vodka,etc. and other things you mention, I am glad you told me as that is exactly what I think of! :lol:
You must be so very tired of the Russian drinking vodka playing the balalaika. Wow I have no idea how to spell that. But in fact recently I ran into the most amazing balalaika player, and naturally he was from Russia. He barely spoke English but he said he was from Siberia and was traveling?? Cannot imagine where he meant in Siberia but I figure it is no stereotype that it doesn't get much colder!

Now this is a very different topic, but you mention boxing. There was a show in the US that ran around the same time as The Avengers that I think was equally as clever. It also had DM's and strange eccentric types but was set in the American West. It was called the Wild Wild West. The reason I mention it, is the stunt men were all boxers and the same ones through the series. They would put on disguises as not to be recognized. The main form of fighting in the West ( at least this show) was boxing. The lead actor Robert Conrad, was in fact a semi professional boxer and so were his stuntmen and he did his own stunt work. No doubles for this man. I think the stunts were better on this show than on TA. And the stories were also full of science fiction including a midget named Dr. loveless who was capable of destroying the world, naturally. Most funny.

I have a short memory. Which TA episode was Clive in? I saw he was in TNA Dead Men are Dangerous. I find it interesting that you recognize all these subtle moves and immediately know its Russian-looking out the window? :lol:
Thanks for the photos, Anti. I will make a special emphasis on Bradbury building at watching the film. :D

Yes, the original of films is often most successful when it is not only outdated, or initially failed. In fact there are many exceptions, which sometimes make me think that I'm from the minority. For example among the known films, I like more the American version The Vanishing than the original Spoorloos, since it's more suspense and emotionally, I like more The Shining 1997, because thereb are really an interesting scenes, while the original is more like a boring story about the dippy little family, etc.

Ha, true, I do not really like to look at the stereotypes in the movie, but I understand that this is built any entertaining film.
The most viewers should feel free and understood everything that happens on the screen in terms of writing and directing.
Based on this, the stereotypes are necessary to make it immediately clear who is who. Kvas - Russian, "Coke" - American. :lol:
And it is always a positive thing, when suddenly in the film, you will learn a fellow on the grounds that in fact are usually not used in an entertaining movie. Well, for some of the characters we can love The Avengers even more. :wink:

Amazing balalaika player from Siberia?
Well, you can meet them there. After perestroika Moscow has changed a lot and now you will see Balalaika player only in those regions of Russia, who live on the old principles. There are areas (a few) outside Moscow, in which you come and get even in real communism. They live conservative views and do not accept any changes. You go to the store or establishment furnished by the old principle, you see people with balalaika and harmony, people in costumes of the time, kolkhoz, old customs and street names such as Lenin Street. :wink:

1960s were a very successful creative period in different directions. Unfortunately I have not seen Wild Wild West, but in your words, I feel like it was made in the best traditions of the time.
As for fighting battles, I think that the creators of the Avengers soften it that it did not seem so cruel and so it could be aimed at a wider audience.
For example, parents could to see in fights in the Avengers something like parody or frivolous, and thus allow own children to watch the show.
Well I'm sure that one of the components of this was that creators of series of course want for more big sales of show abroad, so starting with the 4 seasons, the Avengers became more humorous.
This lack of professional fights in the series was done purposefully, or if we consider it from another angle, we can conclude that they frankly tinker.
I doubt that they could do such risk, and as for unserious tone of fights is bright example - Steed's fights in the episode "Escape in Time" :wink:
You make some good points Denis. I did not think of those movies you mention where the later remake was better. It does happen. And yes failed outdated can be the best. DOA is an example. at the time the movie was made it was not popular and it is of course outdated. But wicked good and I think it is well regarded now by some. Now that is interesting on Clive. He really was Russian? No wonder he was so good! :lol: and authentic! I think you would not only have to be talented to copy Russian gestures, you would have to see the real thing or know Russian people to copy. So these Russian types that stay in the old traditions, are far away from the cities I assume? The equivalent here I am guessing of the small town that has not changed. Keeps with the old traditions.

You really do understand TA well. THat is a great point. The fights in general could be exciting, but especially in the Tara era, looked exactly like tinkering. Many criticize her form of fighting but I think it was like you said. Meant to tinker. It was meant to never show blood or get too real or violent. The other show Wild Wild West was spectacular, fight scenes or one where he crashed through a wall, but the actor said it was really like "violent ballet". I think those were his words. Something about ballet. yoU Would never know it for sure but I suppose it must have felt like a dance so to speak. But that is very keen of you. THat is really another feature of Avengerland that fights were really not meant to be terribly real or violent. Not sure what you think of Mrs. Peel's fight scenes, but I guess that might be true in general. My favorite scene in Legacy besides the pearl fizzling, was the HUGE cherry picker (truck) in bright yellow that is missed by all (except Steed of course.) Wow how could anyone miss that spectacle. They sure had a sense of humour. Back to Clive, have you seen him in other films, or just TA and do you know more about him? as Franky mentions he defected from Russia?
And just curious, I assume that if you met some one from a nearby country, Lithuania, for example, they would appear very different to you in mannerisms, I would assume. And have to ask you about kvas. Can one get drunk on it or is it really unnoticeable? It sounds intriguing. Sort of a flavored beer :lol: ? It sounds as if it could be delicious or taste really bad. What flavors does it come in and can you tell there is alcohol in it? Perhaps I just have to make a batch in my cellar :lol: :lol: as I would have no idea where to buy it here. And I would likely poison myself if it was homemade. :roll:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

You make some good points Denis. I did not think of those movies you mention where the later remake was better. It does happen. And yes failed outdated can be the best. DOA is an example. at the time the movie was made it was not popular and it is of course outdated. But wicked good and I think it is well regarded now by some. Now that is interesting on Clive. He really was Russian? No wonder he was so good! :lol: and authentic! I think you would not only have to be talented to copy Russian gestures, you would have to see the real thing or know Russian people to copy. So these Russian types that stay in the old traditions, are far away from the cities I assume? The equivalent here I am guessing of the small town that has not changed. Keeps with the old traditions.

You really do understand TA well. THat is a great point. The fights in general could be exciting, but especially in the Tara era, looked exactly like tinkering. Many criticize her form of fighting but I think it was like you said. Meant to tinker. It was meant to never show blood or get too real or violent. The other show Wild Wild West was spectacular, fight scenes or one where he crashed through a wall, but the actor said it was really like "violent ballet". I think those were his words. Something about ballet. yoU Would never know it for sure but I suppose it must have felt like a dance so to speak. But that is very keen of you. THat is really another feature of Avengerland that fights were really not meant to be terribly real or violent. Not sure what you think of Mrs. Peel's fight scenes, but I guess that might be true in general. My favorite scene in Legacy besides the pearl fizzling, was the HUGE cherry picker (truck) in bright yellow that is missed by all (except Steed of course.) Wow how could anyone miss that spectacle. They sure had a sense of humour. Back to Clive, have you seen him in other films, or just TA and do you know more about him? as Franky mentions he defected from Russia?
And just curious, I assume that if you met some one from a nearby country, Lithuania, for example, they would appear very different to you in mannerisms, I would assume. And have to ask you about kvas. Can one get drunk on it or is it really unnoticeable? It sounds intriguing. Sort of a flavored beer :lol: ? It sounds as if it could be delicious or taste really bad. What flavors does it come in and can you tell there is alcohol in it? Perhaps I just have to make a batch in my cellar :lol: :lol: as I would have no idea where to buy it here. And I would likely poison myself if it was homemade. :roll:
Recently I watched original film DOA and it's definitely more interesting version than 1988. Nevertheless, in general, I was not able to enjoy the result, now it is very obvious that "noir" is not my genre. The atmosphere and ambiance are gray, the scene with the jazz ensemble performance a bit annoying, I felt this was necessary piece (unlike Venus Smith episodes where I can enjoy the musical numbers), the incarnation of the plot is not very intriguing and sometimes sags. Oh, even though I watched this movie with difficulty, I think, for the noir genre - it's a good sample. Well written characters, great humor and direction.

Anti, no, Clive Revill is not Russian, he was born and trained as an actor in New Zealand. Later he moved to England.
Frankie meant that Clive Revill played a defector in TNA who spent a long time in Russia. :wink:

By the way Clive played a Chinese in film One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (1975), I wonder he managed it as well as Russian in the New Avengers? :D

As for the Soviet actors abroad and old traditions, I noticed that the actor without his own style often adapted to the environment. Such examples are full, bright sample from the Russian - Alexander Godunov.
Actors with their own style (which is very little), for example Savely Kramarov often remain true to themselves in almost every country, as the style is their trademark.
So if Clive Revill would be Russian, I'm not sure that he wanted to be so meticulously portray his character, he would have tried to distort the image or make it conditional. :roll: Well this was a trend of Soviet actors from USSR if they leave the homeland, for them it was already a stranger. If for certain reasons they were playing Russian abroad, they deliberately distorted the image showing his or implausible or negative caricature or contingent, well, in any case, there was always a certain artificiality. After perestroika views have changed. :wink:

The most realistic battles were with Cathy Gale. Mrs. Peel was the first woman who worked in direction to soften it, mainly for the US market, I must say, fights with her participation looked very factitiously. Linda Thorson, thanks to her acrobatic skills, was able to demonstrate fights more professionally. Sadly, Brian Clemens rules did not worked in the US and the Avengers still considered cruel show due to the number of murders and the presence of violence in general, although it was very conditional.

Yes, I have seen many films with Clive Revill. I think the best years for him were in 1970s. He played Russian in Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970), memorable role in Legend of Hell House (1973), interesting role in Black Windmill (1974) etc, but his Mark Crayford in TNA is my favorite Clive's character. :D

Well, manners depend on aspects such as the way of life in a individual system, adaptation and trends. You can go somewhere and to find same manners like you if people live by the same principles. In another near area can meet other people. This is life and there is no principle of cinema - some stereotypes or obsessions. So I do not know who I can meet in Lithuania, rather it will be different people, but I know the type and manner of Russian, if I'm going to watch entertaining foreign cinema, where they are present. :wink:

There are plenty of varieties of kvas, Basically, I would call it as decoction of black bread with additives, it's unforgettable pleasant taste. :D
Kvas, which are sold in shops in Russia or non-alcoholic or a maximum of 1 degree. But if you buy in the market from private traders, the it can reach 5 degrees, but no more.

In Russia still has a lot of fans of kvas.
I remember how in the Soviet Union, many children (including me) always drank a mug of kvas before going to the cinema and it seemed to me that this is something like a tradition. Well, you felt much better and went to watch for example, wonderful film Labyrinth with David Bowie.
On many streets in USSR were located entire tanks with kvas, you came with a can, bucket or something else and seller poured a few liters you. That was great memorable kvas. :)
Denis
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

Ah Kvas. Well I finally ran into a Ukranian woman that told me I could find kvas in Russian store locally. Can't wait to try. Sounds delicious. Sorry to hear you did not like DOA. I am not a fan of film noir really either. But I do like DOA. I have been looking more into it as Legacy that I am writing about as a chapter for Rodney is really film noir which you really pointed out nicely to me. All film noir as you said.

Your observations of people are most interesting and perceptive. Seriously good. And the more I hear Old Gorky I realize he is not Russia. It is funny that you say the Russian actors that leave try to leave Russia and their accents and mannerisms so to speak behind. Too bad but I suppose it helps them to have the continental accent. Sounds kind of phoney in old movies I have to say.

When will your interviews start? Will be most interesting to read.

You know I think one disadvantage Honor Blackman had was that everything was live. I bet the other girl Avengers had the advantage of shooting over a fight scene if it went wrong. And Honor clearly had her fights so worked out and staged. That had to be more pressure on her than on the rest. Not that it was easy for any of them.

BTW I once had a friend that after visiting Russia bought back chocolate bar. They said it was pretty inexpensive to buy. It was probably the best I ever tasted. Do you have any idea the brand name? Also if I go to the Russian store anything else you recommend I try? 8)
ischtar
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by ischtar »

Kvas? Never heard that before, but it looks like it is similar to what's known in Germany as "Malzbier" or "Malztrunk", it's a dark and mostly sweet beer with a very low or even minimal fermentation, alcohol-by-volume content must be less than 0.5%. It's very popular as an energy drink with children for its high carbohydrate content and sweet taste.
Sound like Kvas is a bit more bitter or sourly?
ischtar
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by ischtar »

OO
Last edited by ischtar on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

anti-clockwise wrote:Ah Kvas. Well I finally ran into a Ukranian woman that told me I could find kvas in Russian store locally. Can't wait to try. Sounds delicious. Sorry to hear you did not like DOA. I am not a fan of film noir really either. But I do like DOA. I have been looking more into it as Legacy that I am writing about as a chapter for Rodney is really film noir which you really pointed out nicely to me. All film noir as you said.

Your observations of people are most interesting and perceptive. Seriously good. And the more I hear Old Gorky I realize he is not Russia. It is funny that you say the Russian actors that leave try to leave Russia and their accents and mannerisms so to speak behind. Too bad but I suppose it helps them to have the continental accent. Sounds kind of phoney in old movies I have to say.

You know I think one disadvantage Honor Blackman had was that everything was live. I bet the other girl Avengers had the advantage of shooting over a fight scene if it went wrong. And Honor clearly had her fights so worked out and staged. That had to be more pressure on her than on the rest. Not that it was easy for any of them.

BTW I once had a friend that after visiting Russia bought back chocolate bar. They said it was pretty inexpensive to buy. It was probably the best I ever tasted. Do you have any idea the brand name? Also if I go to the Russian store anything else you recommend I try? 8)
Great, Anti, if you are going to buy kvas in Moscow, I can advise the brand "Russian gift" (Русский дар) or "Mug and Barrel" (Кружка и бочка). I do not advise to take the "Ochakovo", which will advertise in some stores, it's imitation kvas with excess water and more sweet than standart.
Well, the movie DOA well filmed as a whole, and if around the plot would be used, so to speak, formula of success The Avengers, I think I would have liked it. :wink:

I remember when I watched episode Legacy of Death in the 1990s, I thought it was filmed specifically for the pleasure of those who do not like noir. Well, I enjoyed it. Now I see that this is an excellent tribute to the genre in parody way and I continue to enjoy it. :D

It was a problem for some Soviet actors abroad, they understand things not quite right. Living behind the Iron Curtain in the Soviet Union, they have definitely a distorted concept of life abroad, mainly for the more honest look, they could only be repelled by someone's opinion or the study of the actual product in other countries. So when they got there and thought that they would start a new life in a slightly different way than in the USSR, in reality they are faced with many other things, which simply did not taking in right thinking, for example, the approach to Russian actors abroad at the time. Many Russian actors reorganized itself, but in reality it just killed them, they were an imitation of Russians or other nations. So it looked often fake.
Nevertheless, I must admit that really great Russian actors do not ever leave the USSR forever, for logical reasons. :wink:

The premiere of the interview very soon - on 29 November. :)

It was one of the reasons why the fight scenes with Honor Blackman looked more realistic, since many things recorded on videotape in one take.
When you have some takes, you can adjust the choreography, to smooth the fight or make it more pliable, thus turning it into a kind of artificial ballet. When there was Diana Rigg, there were chosen the most smoothed takes. If it looks somewhere rigidly, they putting it aside.
I'm sure sometimes Honor Blackman had even to improvise the fight, because even if you have rehearsed material on the set, may go something wrong, and you must include its own "motor".
For example, in the fight scene at the cemetery in the episode "Mandrake" Honor really knocked out wrestler Jackie Pallo. That's what dedication and responsibility to get it right in one take.

I think that you have tasted the chocolate which was made at the factory Red October, which still produces the goods of the same quality as many years ago. :P Ah, it's hard to give up this chocolate. :wink:

Other traditional Russian food - dumplings, kefir (a-la yogurt), russian bagels and more, depending on what is your preferences. :wink:
Unfortunately ice cream in Russia completely spoiled and I have not seen any similar in taste as in the USSR. :(
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

ischtar wrote:Kvas? Never heard that before, but it looks like it is similar to what's known in Germany as "Malzbier" or "Malztrunk", it's a dark and mostly sweet beer with a very low or even minimal fermentation, alcohol-by-volume content must be less than 0.5%. It's very popular as an energy drink with children for its high carbohydrate content and sweet taste.
Sound like Kvas is a bit more bitter or sourly?
Hmm, I have not tried "Malzbier". :? but I think it should be in some Moscow stores, I will look the other day. :)
Well, in Russia it is possible to stumble upon a kvas that will be similar to the beer, but that's not it. It must not be bitter, but may be slightly acidic. By the way on German language kvas sounds like a kwas. :wink:
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

ischtar wrote:Image

Bought a new software lately and made a few new black and white fan art with it...
Wonderful fan art. :)
If in December will again be the banner contest for the The Avengers International forum, hope you will to participate. But do not tell me, because under the rules, names of participants should be a secret (I think, even before the official start of the competition). :wink:
Denis
anti-clockwise

Post by anti-clockwise »

denisrigg wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:Ah Kvas. Well I finally ran into a Ukranian woman that told me I could find kvas in Russian store locally. Can't wait to try. Sounds delicious. Sorry to hear you did not like DOA. I am not a fan of film noir really either. But I do like DOA. I have been looking more into it as Legacy that I am writing about as a chapter for Rodney is really film noir which you really pointed out nicely to me. All film noir as you said.

Great, Anti, if you are going to buy kvas in Moscow, I can advise the brand "Russian gift" (Русский дар) or "Mug and Barrel" (Кружка и бочка). I do not advise to take the "Ochakovo", which will advertise in some stores, it's imitation kvas with excess water and more sweet than standart.
Well, the movie DOA well filmed as a whole, and if around the plot would be used, so to speak, formula of success The Avengers, I think I would have liked it. :wink:

I remember when I watched episode Legacy of Death in the 1990s, I thought it was filmed specifically for the pleasure of those who do not like noir. Well, I enjoyed it. Now I see that this is an excellent tribute to the genre in parody way and I continue to enjoy it. :D

It was a problem for some Soviet actors abroad, they understand things not quite right. Living behind the Iron Curtain in the Soviet Union, they have definitely a distorted concept of life abroad, mainly for the more honest look, they could only be repelled by someone's opinion or the study of the actual product in other countries. So when they got there and thought that they would start a new life in a slightly different way than in the USSR, in reality they are faced with many other things, which simply did not taking in right thinking, for example, the approach to Russian actors abroad at the time. Many Russian actors reorganized itself, but in reality it just killed them, they were an imitation of Russians or other nations. So it looked often fake.
Nevertheless, I must admit that really great Russian actors do not ever leave the USSR forever, for logical reasons. :wink:

The premiere of the interview very soon - on 29 November. :)

It was one of the reasons why the fight scenes with Honor Blackman looked more realistic, since many things recorded on videotape in one take.
When you have some takes, you can adjust the choreography, to smooth the fight or make it more pliable, thus turning it into a kind of artificial ballet. When there was Diana Rigg, there were chosen the most smoothed takes. If it looks somewhere rigidly, they putting it aside.
I'm sure sometimes Honor Blackman had even to improvise the fight, because even if you have rehearsed material on the set, may go something wrong, and you must include its own "motor".
For example, in the fight scene at the cemetery in the episode "Mandrake" Honor really knocked out wrestler Jackie Pallo. That's what dedication and responsibility to get it right in one take.

I think that you have tasted the chocolate which was made at the factory Red October, which still produces the goods of the same quality as many years ago. :P Ah, it's hard to give up this chocolate. :wink:

Other traditional Russian food - dumplings, kefir (a-la yogurt), russian bagels and more, depending on what is your preferences. :wink:
Unfortunately ice cream in Russia completely spoiled and I have not seen any s lar in taste as in the USSR. :(
You know I may have time to go past a Russian store tomorrow. I will take the list you gave me. Heavens knows how you can read that stuff :lol: It all looks Greek to me. Seriously the symbols look cool. Just incomprehensible to this westerner. Is there possible another brand of Russian chocolate that is popular? I ordered it once online but it was stale. I will try the Red Chocolate-maybe it is even better than what I tasted.
And here is a real crisis for you. Apparently it is predicted that the world will run out of chocolate by 2020 with the current rate of consumption. THis truly is depressing. I cannot imagine life without chocolate. :cry: :cry:
This is all making me hungry. Well I can see you are working hard and I think we're all excited to hear the interviews.
That would be terrible as a Russian actor to see all the fakes: sort of like the Maltese Falcon. Worthless piece of junk, at least in the movie. In real life, seriously Denis, it sold for over 4 million dollars last year. This 45 pound heavy prop that was made of metal of some sort-just a prop. Who in their right mind would spend that? The piano for Casablanca is going on sale in a few days. Looks like a cheap piece of junk. No doubt it will go for millions as well. Just give me a piece of chocolate and kvas and I'll be happy. :wink:
You are right I think. Legacy did sort of make fun of film noir. Some of it is kind of silly, but Legacy I agree was a hilarious episode. Probably one of my favorites. But that changes daily. Glad you liked it too.
As far as the fight scenes, have to give Honor Blackman a lot of credit. Like you said-more important than life itself, was finishing the scene. :lol: Thankfully Jackie Pallo lived through it. Well we are all anxiously awaiting the interview. Have fun with it most importantly!