Making it New? A Reappraisal of The New Avengers

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Very kind review from scriptwriter film-maker Alexander Collett who is obviously a big fan of The Avengers and The New Avengers:

"First off, this is to say how much I enjoyed your book and thought that you were spot on with most of your comments and observations. Like yourself, I saw The New Avengers before I ever saw a single frame of The Avengers (which is a superior show). I was born in 1970 and at the ages of 6 and 7 New Avengers was, quite simply - along with Dr Who - the highlight of my television week. I was also madly in love with Purdey! I've worked in the film and TV industry for the best part of 20 years now, often as a screen-writer, and I often find myself trying to replicate (rip off?) Clemens' wonderfully dry, pithy dialogue. And my dissertation as a film graduate was about The Avengers. I often regret perhaps taking the more obvious route and wish I had about The New Avengers instead. Still...
I whole-heartedly agree with your list of best episodes, including your championing of Cat Amongst The Pigeons. And yes - didn't it all go awry in France and Canada! I think The New Avengers will never be as highly regarded as The Avengers for the simple reason that it lacks the 'style' of its forerunner and the 1970s now come across as far less 'modern' (certainly Mod) than the 60s. But, as you point out, criticising something for being 'of its time' is a hiding to nothing.
For me, having watched the entire run recently on DVD - what remained was the wonderful performances and performances of and between MacNee, Lumley and Hunt. They just nailed those characters. I know form personal experience how hard it is to find actors that completely understand the tone of a script. Those three were just perfect: timing, tone, the playing of the spaces between the lines, everything. I only found out that Gareth Hunt had passed away last year and I was astonished how devastated I was. So much a part of my personal history and influence. In fact, the cover of your book is exactly the same image that I had as a poster on my bedroom wall for many years.
Thanks for a good read and - a measure which I regard all books about film and TV - you have made me want to re-watch the show in question."
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Alex has offered to contribute to our collective New Avengers book.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art