Anticlockwise feedback

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Not really, Margo. To get the thicker sheets you now have to purchase a 'structure' which doubles the price.
The binding etc. is fine, it is simply the paper thickness which Lulu have cut back on. However, their deluxe paperback has thick covers and thicker paper. It is an excellent product, and a nice halfway house between the Amazon edition and the hardback.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

frank wrote:I'm going to give some feedback-although I am cheating a bit since I helped do some proofreading on the book :P

As before you have a mix of writing styles and approaches. I think what is most appealing is the notable number of articles that made a serious attempt to be objective in their assessments. That is admirable since most of the contributors are advocates of the era.

It's always cool and a little surprising what people have to express in their episodes. Many of the King episodes that I enjoy I felt nothing meaningful to comment on. It is nice to see them through other people's eyes
Well I really enjoyed your chapters Frank. You always have some interesting twist and such insight into the episodes. The 7 deadly sins chapter was brilliant. But actually the 2 Fellers chapter was equally brilliant. I loved the part where you said it was justifiable homicide given their jobs were taken from them. Such a spot on portrayal of their twisted minds. The Morning After also had great insight into Steed's character. Before I ever saw the Gale episodes he was just all hero to me. And then his character seemed to have abruptly changed in season 4. You nicely tied them together.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

And the idea of Merlin representing Steed's dark mirror is a highlight of the book.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Steed is all hero - he's just not a perfect (and uninteresting) one.

I have to say that I do not agree with the vast majority of the analyses (far too positive for me), but they all provide interesting perspectives.
Last edited by Lhbizness on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

made perfect by his imperfections
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I received a few e-mails asking why Anticlockwise is a dollar more expensive than the first two volumes. This is because it is nearly 500 pages which puts the cost up.
I have withdrawn the Lulu hardback from the market as I was disappointed with the paper quality. It's available from them as a deluxe paperback now instead.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Just as I was getting round to buying it!

While I can understand your dissatisfaction with the paper quality, it's a shame that people like me who have started the collection in hardcover can't now complete it in that format. :(
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Sad that Amazon don't do a hardback.

I should've bought two copies then I could've sold you one, Alan!

Personally I find the paper acceptable, I've certainly had much lower quality hardbacks including one I received as a Christmas gift. Rodney has higher standards then me though. :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Alan wrote:Just as I was getting round to buying it!

While I can understand your dissatisfaction with the paper quality, it's a shame that people like me who have started the collection in hardcover can't now complete it in that format. :(
I can put it back on if anyone is interested. I just felt that the standard wasn't as good as previous volumes. It is easy enough to 'unretire' the edition.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

It's worth mentioning that it can be a 'luck of the draw' situation with Lulu, depending on where they choose to print. The hardcovers printed in the USA are generally much better than those printed in France. The UK hub is good, too, but lately much of Lulu's local hardcover printing for UK customers has been sent to the French print hub.

I'd suggest that if you're unhappy with the print quality, complain about your order. Lulu are normally very responsive, Rodney.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger