The WORST Episode

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

I meant i found Tara was the worst official partner of Steed. I didn't consider Venus as a partner, more like a guest star.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I think every 'version' of the Avengers has its strengths and its weaknessess. Its longevity is partly due to its ability or need to change, like a chameleon. Having discovered Season 6 only recently I have enjoyed a lot of the episodes. No one - so far as I am aware - has suggested that Linda Thorson has the screen presence of Blackman or Rigg but in an episode such as All Done with Mirrors she proves that she can hold our attention without Steed's presence. As for the worst episode, I still think Homicide takes a lot of beating.
MaccaJack
Nutshell

Post by MaccaJack »

I enjoyed parts of it but "Silent Dust" was never a favourite of mine.

I have'nt seen many other episodes, but for TNA definitely Return of the Cybernauts (?) I just found it deathly boring and the plastic skin was crap plus we never saw Felix Kane properly.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

worse than Homicide???? Oh la la!!!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

jeez..

Post by mousemeat »

VA_Avenger wrote:
guntram wrote:I agree ...homicide and old lace is Terrible!!!
Amen! It's the only episode that I refused to finish. It was either turn it off, or gouge out my eyeballs. . .
it does test one's love of the show...but ripping out ye olde eye balls, eek! that would certainly cloud up dah holidaze..(LOL)
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

MaccaJack wrote:I enjoyed parts of it but "Silent Dust" was never a favourite of mine.

I have'nt seen many other episodes, but for TNA definitely Return of the Cybernauts (?) I just found it deathly boring and the plastic skin was crap plus we never saw Felix Kane properly.
I loved Last of the Cybernauts. Ironically, despite being the "iconic" Avengers nemesis, I've never found the Cybernauts terribly interesting. Because of this I find the Cybernaut trilogy gets more entertaining as it goes on, when we go beyond the robots to the "human" cybernauts.

I'll go with you on Silent Dust, though. That one is quite dull.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

MaccaJack wrote:I enjoyed parts of it but "Silent Dust" was never a favourite of mine.

I like the episode - in fact I like the whole Cybernauts trilogy (I just wish there'd been a TK Cybernauts episode, but I digress... ), However your post reminds me of something I really dislike about The New Avengers - the way they hold their pistols.

Holding a gun in The New Avengers meant at arms length with both hands. It seems to be influenced by a lot of the American cop shows of the time and was another example of The New Avengers following, rather than leading.

And the way Gambit and Purdey hold the plastic skin areosol can in the same way adds insult to injury. It's a bit like something from a Charlies Angels episode...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

I like the episode - in fact I like the whole Cybernauts trilogy (I just wish there'd been a TK Cybernauts episode, but I digress... ), However your post reminds me of something I really dislike about The New Avengers - the way they hold their pistols.

Holding a gun in The New Avengers meant at arms length with both hands. It seems to be influenced by a lot of the American cop shows of the time and was another example of The New Avengers following, rather than leading.

And the way Gambit and Purdey hold the plastic skin areosol can in the same way adds insult to injury. It's a bit like something from a Charlies Angels episode...
I've never really paid much attention to how they hold their guns, not really knowing the proper form in real life, but I suppose Purdey and Gambit do adopt that stance for the most part. As far as I remember, Emma and Tara and Cathy were fond of holding it at arm's length with only one hand, which come to think of it always looked a little unstable and sloppy to me. Any kick at all and their aim would be way off, wouldn't it?

The way they hold the plastic skin is pretty wince-worthy, though, although I'm glad they left in the little walk around Steed and Emma were so fond of, even if they couldn't give Kane a push without looking rather mean-spirited. I tend to wonder if they could've done the same but better using the original scripted ending, with Steed luring Kane into a patch of wet tar behind Purdey's flat. It's quite tense, actually, although I imagine it was cut for violence (Gambit actually gets crushed inside his car, and Kane backhands Purdey across the room).
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I'm with Cyberrich; the original Cybernauts is for me the best ever Avengers episode; not necessarily my favourite but the most perfect. Return of the Cybernauts is enjoyable, as is anything with Peter Cushing, but Last of the C? to me is fairly dull. The actual Cybernauts don't look as good and the final scene with them spraying the mastermind with aerosol cans is rather silly. Like any sequels the 'shock of the new' is no longer there.
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
The way they hold the plastic skin is pretty wince-worthy, though, although I'm glad they left in the little walk around Steed and Emma were so fond of, even if they couldn't give Kane a push without looking rather mean-spirited. I tend to wonder if they could've done the same but better using the original scripted ending, with Steed luring Kane into a patch of wet tar behind Purdey's flat. It's quite tense, actually, although I imagine it was cut for violence (Gambit actually gets crushed inside his car, and Kane backhands Purdey across the room).
That sounds leagues better than the final product and actually seems like a plausible way to stop a cybernaught.
Last edited by Strange Young Man on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.