The Avengers - Series 5 + 6 replacement discs

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Mr S wrote:After 3 and a half months, finally received my replacements today. After a quick spin, the audio seems fine. Looking forward to watching them, picture quality is stunning!
Sounds promising! What do the rest of you think of version 2 of season 5 and 6? Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:
Mr S wrote:After 3 and a half months, finally received my replacements today. After a quick spin, the audio seems fine. Looking forward to watching them, picture quality is stunning!
Sounds promising! What do the rest of you think of version 2 of season 5 and 6? Rich.
Version 3, isn't it? Version 2 of Series 5 wasn't fixed, they brought out a set marked "V3".
Last watched: "Concerto"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

It's worth pointing out that Optimum appear to have been completely consumed by Studio Canal now, so it's possible the old email addy is dead or at least no longer reliable (if it ever was).

See this page for updated details:

http://www.studiocanal.co.uk/Home/AboutUs
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

Alan, I have a wrong Forget me Knot disc, is the old adress still good to resend, to do I need to contact studiocanal first? Thanks
Mr S
Thingumajig

Post by Mr S »

I think you might be best to e-mail studio canal first (use Alan's link). You might need to do it a couple of times before they reply. Have you got the correct version of Legacy Of Death? Check it, if the picture "flashes" at the start of the episode, you need to get it changed too.
Thingumagij
White Dwarf

Post by Thingumagij »

I recieved a copy of Series 6 as a birthday present a couple of weeks ago via Amazon and it had both the speed issue (the Forget-Me-Knot) and the 'flashing' effect on 'Legacy Of Death'. I have e-mailed to see if I can still get replacements, but there really is no excuse for this faulty stock to still be on the market!!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Thingumagij wrote:I recieved a copy of Series 6 as a birthday present a couple of weeks ago via Amazon and it had both the speed issue (the Forget-Me-Knot) and the 'flashing' effect on 'Legacy Of Death'. I have e-mailed to see if I can still get replacements, but there really is no excuse for this faulty stock to still be on the market!!
Please let us know how you get on with an email reply. I have not changed my "Legacy of Death" disk yet.
Thingumagij
White Dwarf

Post by Thingumagij »

Received an e-mail this morning saying "sorry to hear of the problems...return the discs (no packaging) and we will send replacements etc".

THE AVENGERS
STUDIOCANAL
50 Marshall Street
London
W1F 9BQ

So a quick response to my e-mail from last night, will let you know how long it takes for them to arrive.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Thingumagij wrote:Received an e-mail this morning saying "sorry to hear of the problems...return the discs (no packaging) and we will send replacements etc".

THE AVENGERS
STUDIOCANAL
50 Marshall Street
London
W1F 9BQ

So a quick response to my e-mail from last night, will let you know how long it takes for them to arrive.
Thanks.

It may be impossible to get a satisfactory replacement.

On another thread, norw27 reports that "hope I'm not opening up a can of worms but I have just received a copy of the complete box set (I had already purchased the individual sets but the completist in me wouldn't allow me to not save up and get the box set!) and the set looks lovely and I don't even have an issue with getting the discs out - however.....I have just tested to see if the issue on Legacy of Death had been sorted and although the picture no longer "flashes" it does seem to be an awful lot darker than previous, especially at the beginning, and it does somehow seem to have been inflicted with the sound speed up problems affecting Season 5 and The Forget-Me-Knot. Has anyone else noticed this? (I have made a comparison using clips from both sets"

The comparison clips. The speeded-up voice problem is there in all its glory.

Thank gawd I kept the Contender version.

Although the picture-flicker on the original Optimum/Canal release is annoying, it's far less annoying than the chipmunk voices.

I'm not sure if "Forget-Me-Knot" still has the problem. I presume not, since the sound speed-up was the only reported problem with that one.
Thingumagij
White Dwarf

Post by Thingumagij »

My replacement discs arrived today. 'Legacy' is much better and I don't detect the 'darkness' issue which has been previously reported, although the sound does sound slightly speeded-up. The Forget-Me-Knot' is fine.
The discs are marked V2.
A big thank you to StudioCanal for getting these out so quickly.