"Diana Rigg won't talk about The Avengers"

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Sinus1994
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Sinus1994 »

Rodney wrote:I agree. I was thinking more of questions concerning the show's connections with the Cold War, feminism, halucinogenic drugs, technology and whether the show was genuinely revolutionary or not.
Yeah, that's a good idea.
I didn't thought of that... It's just an other sight on The Avengers.

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Aaargg!
I was planning to come and join the discoussion with Diana Rigg on 10th february, but yesterday a friend of us told me, that he will come and visit us as the 9th february for some days.
So, I definitely know, that I can't come to the conversation! Image
(sorry for double-posting)

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

Really enjoyed listening to Diana's anecdotes from her career tonight at the V&A. She gamely sat in front of a giant image of herself in the leather catsuit from series 4. She was in good form, said she'd spoken to Patrick just before Christmas and spoke to the packed auditorium with obvious delight about her early days, The Hot House (she had a hard time on that from the director who wanted his girlfriend to play the role) The Avengers and her films. She said "The hospital" was a great film but "The Assassination bureau" was dreadful. She spoke with affection about "Theatre of blood" and recounted a blushing tale of how she played match maker with Vincent Price and his wife to be. She thought the adaptation of the film to the recent stage version (featuring her daughter) was a "piece of shit"

What i will remember is the image of Diana appearing on the back wall in 1965 catsuit. She then walked in, gazed approvingly at the image and beamed at the audience. A fun event.

Here's a image Image
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Thanks for posting Paul, did she had any comment on the Avengers?
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Indeed, thank you for posting.
brynmill
Thingumajig

Post by brynmill »

I wonder if she feels slightly guilty about ignoring the 50th anniversary event last year
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Wow, thank you for the lovely summary and photo! :D I feel as though recently, Diana's made peace with the show in terms of its legacy and her part in it. It's almost as if she's rediscovered it, and decided to recall it on her own terms. Good for her! And great to hear that she still chats with Patrick. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Thank you so much for posting a summary and this nice photo pauljwyatt! :D
Now I'm very cut up, to hear, that the event was enjoying and that I had to stay at home. Image

Sincerely yours,
Sinus1994 Image
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Wow, thank you for the lovely summary and photo! :D I feel as though recently, Diana's made peace with the show in terms of its legacy and her part in it. It's almost as if she's rediscovered it, and decided to recall it on her own terms. Good for her! And great to hear that she still chats with Patrick. 8)
I think you're absolutely right. I get the impression she didn't want to feel "forced" into anything and wanted to do it her way.
She spoke about her Emma Peel audition. She was seen late in the day and she had to do battle with a stuntman called Ray (she couldn't remember the last name but i presume it was Ray Austin) She said by the time they'd got round to her "poor Ray" had been right royally bashed by all these Emma contenders. She spoke about Patrick and how he pushed for her to be in the role and the gratitude she felt towards him. She said he was and IS a great man. I noticed she became quite emotional when she said she'd spoken with him before Christmas.

She said the schedule was tiring on The Avengers and pointing at the image of Emma Peel behind her said they made her wear too much make up. She was a young women and didn't feel it was necessary. The interviewer took an interesting approach to The Avengers citing it as being sometimes silly (but fantastic entertainment) and asking her how did a classical actress such as her find the "truth" in such a role. Diana replied "Well there's truth...and there's truth" with a smile. He also said the plots were crazy and "were the writers smoking dope?" to which she sternly responded "No they were NOT!" She spoke with affection and pride about the show which only (slightly) diminished when asked about the catsuits which she brushed on past. Her recall is amazing but when questioned on "making over 50 episodes of The Avengers" she commented "oh i didn't make that many. I made 26" Perhaps she wrote of the fifth series completely...

I loved the anecdote about her fellow Dame - Dame Maggie Smith. When Dame Maggie was flown to a shoot in a Helicopter the dame commented "i never thought i'd see Milton Keynes between my legs"

Diana said she had handed the baton to her daughter. There were no more roles she hankered after playing but she loved to be surprised by the business. She said young actors weren't supported or nurtured as she was in her day whilst treading the boards. Lovely stories about working alongside Dame Edith Evans and Olivier and the (then) hierarchy in the Theatre. She also commented that she wasn't as popular or as gainfully employed as her fellow dames but that she wasn't going to retire as long as she was "hail and hearty" and enjoyed life totally.

She then answered questions from the floor. An enjoyable hour with a rather charming lady.

pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

For those wondering what the connection with the Victoria and Albert museum is with Diana she's narrated the audio commentary for the Cecil Beaton Queen Elizabeth II exhibition which is currently running.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/whatson/event/1530 ... aton-2650/