Anticlockwise feedback

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Thanks, Alan. I've now contacted them and will wait to see what their response is. Meanwhile the hardbacks are temporarily back on at cost price.

On the subject of great chapters, JZF's chapter on Who Was That Man? is a triumph, a great one to (try to) convince non-Tara fans that Season 6 was worthwhile.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

It's gonna take a lot to convince me that Season 6 is worthwhile - Steed's sideburns remain my most poignant and happy memory. Who's That Man? is very far from even my favorite episode of that season - however, when I read that chapter I'll let you know. (I personally think that it's OK for fans to not like seasons, characters, or episodes. I know many who do not enjoy Cathy Gale and that's fine).
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Of course you're right, Lauren. There are episodes from each season which I don't like and there is no doubt that the depiction of Tara is both inconsistent and at times downright sexist, taking away from the series' previous feminist traits. However, as you point out in your brilliant essay, some of these sexist elements were there in the previous eras, just less blatant.
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

I found Anti-Clockwise somewhat hard to get through. I agree with Rodney that the quality of the writing has gotten better with each book but the problem for me concerning Anti-Clockwise was the subject matter. The Tara era has in my opinion only a handful of memorable episodes, such as All Done With Mirrors, They Keep Killing Steed, Take-Over, and The Morning After- the rest are pretty forgetable and consequently not that interesting to read about. My favorite chapter is Frank Hui's on The Morning After. Really brilliant analysis of the relationship between Steed and the character Merlin.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Stay Tuned, The Rotters, Super Secret Cypher Snatch, Love All, False Witness, Requiem, Pandora, Noon Doomsday...I think these are all wonderful episodes. Of course much of the subtlety of Season 4 had gone, but like Jaz I think that the season - though uneven - is far, far better than Season 5. Season 5 is wonderful mostly because we have Emma Peel in glorious Technicolor, but the episodes themselves are rarely groundbreaking. I think the Tara era tried to experiment and evolve.

Frank's chapter on Have Guns, exploring the use of a black actor in a principal role, was great too.

It's all about opinions of course.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

In the filmed era, as collective bodies, I would order them as follows:

Peel b and w
New Avengers 1
Tara
Peel colour
New Avengers 2
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I'm with Dan.

The Peel color era is fascinating, if you really look closely at it. It gets unfairly maligned, IMO.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I think that's just the point: it rarely gets maligned. It's the most popular of any Avengers season. It gets away with a dozen or more poor episodes simply because it offers the only opportunity to see the show's best actor in colour.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

How many Season 5 are re-makes? Then add the number which incorporate dumb blondes, such as Dead Man's Treasure.
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Personally I think it develops the relationship between the characters, and highlights the pastiche element that was nascent in the Cathy Gale and first Emma Peel eras. It introduces new genres, and bends their conventions. Especially some of the middle-season episodes develop an interesting use of color, as directors become more comfortable with using their palettes. It has fascinating themes, some of them carried through from the earlier seasons, and makes excellent use of both the stars. I don't think it's popular because we get to see Diana Rigg in color.
Last edited by Lhbizness on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.