Avengers DVD Set 2 (Series 3) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Nice to finally lay to rest the idea that the videotape era directors were "not asked back".
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Arguably the best one DID come back (Don Leaver) and Hammond's wonderfully experimental style was matched later by Fuest. As with the actors and writers, it's probably a good thing that new blood arrived. The show thrived on change.
My thanks to Jaz and Henry for those commentaries which offer a really welcome addition to the history.
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

I bought mine in London. The package looks very good and the extras are superb!
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

SteedMonk wrote:I bought mine in London. The package looks very good and the extras are superb!

How does the price on the shelf compare to buying online?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
SteedMonk wrote:I bought mine in London. The package looks very good and the extras are superb!

I paid £59.99 for the boxset (HMV) but you can get it from Amazon for £42.98. For me it was cheaper to buy it in London and not online, because I would pay in the German Amazon more than £59.99.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

SteedMonk wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

I paid £59.99 for the boxset (HMV) but you can get it from Amazon for £42.98. For me it was cheaper to buy it in London and not online, because I would pay in the German Amazon more than £59.99.
I see. Thanks. :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
robmyers
Nutshell

Post by robmyers »

I'm really enjoying these. I thought the first episode had more white noise hiss than the others but maybe I just had to get used to the quality of sound.

This series seems much more confident than the earlier ones but still willing to experiment with the format. I've not seen any of these episodes before so I've nothing to compare the quality of the restoration to, but every episode has been a real treat so far.

So thanks and congratulations to everyone involved in this release!
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

When I inserted my disc one into my PC, I saw something strange:

If you go to the EXTRAS and go over the right side with your pointer (next to the title "DVD ROM"), you can see suddenly a bowler hat. And if you click on that bowler hat, a filmed introduction appears, with Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman talking about the idea to put for the first time a woman into the role of Steed's partner. That feature doesn't stand on the case of my disc one. And it also doesn't stand in the EXTRAS, you must search it, to find it! If you wouldn't know that, you wouldn't know that it exists. To wich episode does that (originally broadcasted with the channel 4 repeat) filmed introduction belong to?

Is the same thing on your disc?

P.S.: I watched the first episode and I liked it very much. I also must congratulate to everyone who is involved in that release and thank them all for that great boxset! :D
jtomlin1uk
Nutshell

Post by jtomlin1uk »

They are the intros to The Frighteners and Immortal Clay from the early 1990s Channel 4 repeat and were not included on the Season 1+2 boxset, hence their "easter egg" inclusion here.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Ooh, didn't know there were any Easter eggs on the set.