Overrated classic episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Hello, all,

I miswrote my postcard--it said "Emma" and "Mannequin".

Thanks, OneKnight for all the kind words. I can mutually send them your way as well!

Well, I'll mail Diana a letter and ask her. Thanks for the address, Dandy. I'll try to get that out in a week or two. ;-)

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Man-Eater Of Surrey Green (Aaarrgh! Not that again)

Post by mousemeat »

oneknightsteed wrote:
Mona wrote:
I tend to suspect, having looked at the screenshots, that we were supposed to think that Steed had sacrificed Emma right up until we see her lying there with her coat off, at which point I think they meant for us to realise he'd used the mannequin, but if that's true it's so badly staged it's no surprise there's confusion.
I absolutely believe that definitely was supposed to be the case. Unfortunately, the only terrible editing in the whole series had to occur right there!

Mona[/quote

I know I will probably be burned at the stake for pursuing this, but when you look at 'Two's A Crowd', you see that Steed is totally capable of putting Emma in harms way, as well as showing little regard for her feelings! He let her be taken hostage and allowed her to believe he'd been killed! These episodes were still early days in their partnership/relationship. Steed was still a bit of a scamp. Therefore I say it was Emma not a mannequin. But I truely respect your opinion and can see there is cause for confusion.
Of course this is my most humble opinion. Don't hurt me! :wink:

well...Steed's character was basically a works in progress, as the show motored on..the Steed from the Keel-or-gale era, was much different than the Steed of Peel-King.....
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I think Kim is shaking her fist at me ....
that is not good.....eek-a-monga !
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hi Mona :)
Mona wrote:My only last statement is that I fail to see why Andrew Pixley's invented timeline is any official way I have to view the history of characters.
Oh - it's not. It's just a bit of sillyness to pass the time. Simply my brief attempt to assimilate a heap of "Avengers" trivia in a very daft format. :D

All the best

Andrew
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hi Sam :)
Sam wrote:Man-Eater was written by Philip Levene who penned the majority of the sci-fi type stories. The IMDb does not say he's passed on, but he has no writing credits after 1975 so I'm not sure.
I remember talking to Dennis Spooner about Philip Levene back in the 1980s and he confirmed that Philip had sadly died in 1975.

All the best

Andrew
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Andrew Pixley wrote:Hi Mona :)
Mona wrote:My only last statement is that I fail to see why Andrew Pixley's invented timeline is any official way I have to view the history of characters.
Oh - it's not. It's just a bit of sillyness to pass the time. Simply my brief attempt to assimilate a heap of "Avengers" trivia in a very daft format. :D

All the best

Andrew
Daft? Maybe. But for all that, it's still a timeline that works well over all for which we thank you Andrew. :D
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Mona

Post by Mona »

All the best

Andrew
Oh, Andrew, Hello!

Please be aware that although I may differ at times with your timeline of Steed's life, I always enjoy that so many people put so much time and effort into discussing and analyzing The Avengers, and trying to fill in so many blanks. For that, thanks so much for your efforts!! Even if I disagree here and there, it sure gave me much thought and fostered my own creation of a timeline which worked for me. In that way, it was inordinately a benefit to me.

Sincerely,
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hello Kim :)
kim wrote:Daft? Maybe. But for all that, it's still a timeline that works well over all for which we thank you Andrew. :D
Haha! Bless you Kim. And thank you for all your work in keeping this rather lovely forum going for us to all come and enjoy.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew Pixley

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Mona wrote:Oh, Andrew, Hello!
Hello Mona! Some fascinating stuff you've put forward here! :)
Please be aware that although I may differ at times with your timeline of Steed's life, I always enjoy that so many people put so much time and effort into discussing and analyzing The Avengers, and trying to fill in so many blanks.
Hey - no problem. To quote Alan Plater, "Viva la difference!" I always find it fascinating to see how other people select and assemble information - a fresh perspective is always of interest, and such work with new view and new information and new analysis must go on, or fandom just stagnates.
For that, thanks so much for your efforts!! Even if I disagree here and there, it sure gave me much thought and fostered my own creation of a timeline which worked for me. In that way, it was inordinately a benefit to me.
Yeah - go for it! All this kind of reasoned, polite discussion is brilliant, and one of the things which shows me the positive uses of the Internet! :)

So delighted to see people having such fun with all this sort of stuff! Terrific isn't it to see these great shows being studied and loved and celebrated in this manner.

All the best

Andrew
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Mona wrote: and fostered my own creation of a timeline which worked for me.
I'd love to see that timeline!
Last watched: "Concerto"