When did you discover The Avengers ?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I first saw an episode (The Winged Avenger) on tv on a rainy weekend day in the 70's, and was taken in by it's fun. And I've been circling it ever since, like a tiger searching for a bit of yummy, pecking away at the episodes.

And I've been watching the Emma Peel maga-set, and enjoying the show to a high degree, and thus I'm here!
batmaster
Nutshell

Post by batmaster »

Because of my dad! haha
I love the avengers!
abgood
White Dwarf

When did you discover The Avengers?

Post by abgood »

In 1964, when I was 9, I used to pick up a periodical entitled -- I kid you not -- 'Castle of Frankenstein,' which mainly followed horror films, as its title suggests, but also covered a broad swath of eccentric film and TV: B films, fantasy (such as Jean Cocteau), etc.
One issue (#5, I think) contained a page about a new British cult TV show, "The Avengers." Along with a brief summary of the show (spies, mystery, wit, action, offbeat charm), the story featured 2 photos from the show, one of Steed strangling some villain, and the other of a very striking blond clad from head to toe in black leather and training a small, elegant, but obviously lethal pistol at, it seemed, me.
Something stirred deep within me. Puberty, as it turned out, was issuing early emanations.
But enough of that. The page lodged in my memory, needless to say, and a couple of years later I could catch the Rigg episodes on TV. Not mine, unfortunately, because ABC was UHF and beyond the reach of my rabbit ears, but at the homes of friends' with more up-to-date equipment.
I honestly didn't understand a lot of what I was watching, but I enjoyed it anyway.
jbojangles2008
Nutshell

Re: When did you discover The Avengers?

Post by jbojangles2008 »

abgood wrote:In 1964, when I was 9, I used to pick up a periodical entitled -- I kid you not -- 'Castle of Frankenstein,' which mainly followed horror films, as its title suggests, but also covered a broad swath of eccentric film and TV: B films, fantasy (such as Jean Cocteau), etc.
One issue (#5, I think) contained a page about a new British cult TV show, "The Avengers." Along with a brief summary of the show (spies, mystery, wit, action, offbeat charm), the story featured 2 photos from the show, one of Steed strangling some villain, and the other of a very striking blond clad from head to toe in black leather and training a small, elegant, but obviously lethal pistol at, it seemed, me.
Something stirred deep within me. Puberty, as it turned out, was issuing early emanations.
But enough of that. The page lodged in my memory, needless to say, and a couple of years later I could catch the Rigg episodes on TV. Not mine, unfortunately, because ABC was UHF and beyond the reach of my rabbit ears, but at the homes of friends' with more up-to-date equipment.
I honestly didn't understand a lot of what I was watching, but I enjoyed it anyway.
YOU MENTIONED PUBERTY WELL IT HAPPENED FOR ME AS WELL AT ABOUT 14 YEARS OF AGE AND I HAD THE HOTS AND A CRUSHON EMMA PEEL ALTHOGH HONOUR BLACKMAN WHOM IVE MET IS
VERY SEXY AND ALLURING ITS THE HRT I SUPPOSE AND IM THE STUD!!
AS THESE ILLUSTRIOUS WOMEN AGE THEIR BODIES CHANGE AND THEY
ARE PROBABLY ENJOYING MORE SEX IN THEIR 50S THEN IN THEIR 20S!
STILL WOMEN ARE FICKLE LITHSOME CREATURES WITH DFFERENT INTERNAL PLUMBING,CAPRICIOUS,INCONSISTENT AND HYSERICAL
ALL THE SAME!!!JONATHAN
Avengers Addict NEVER GET TIRED of watching
all the episodes ,QUIRKY,FUNNY, IDEALISTIC,
TONGUE IN CHEEK, SARCASTIC,An idealistic
nostalgic England (A Bygone Era)!
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Whoa caps lock! :lol:
jbojangles2008
Nutshell

Post by jbojangles2008 »

Philippa wrote:Whoa caps lock! :lol:
:lol: :cry: :oops: :P :x
YES JOANNNA LUMLEY WOULD BE MY IDEAL GIRLFRIEND,SAVVY,INTELLIGENT,
REFINED ,CLASSY AND A LITTLE HAUGHTY THOUGH, SHE ADORES HORSES,
BORN IN INDIA,SCINTILLATING CONVERSATIONALIST,ELEGANT,POISED,
EXPONENT OF MARTIAL ARTS, PERHAPS I AM DREAMING !!!EMANATIONS
AND SHE LOVES A GOOD TIME. !!A CUT -GLASSPOSH ACCENT!
WELL SHE IS POSH (PEOPLEONLY SAY HELLO YA!!)
JONATHAN! :arrow: :idea:
Avengers Addict NEVER GET TIRED of watching
all the episodes ,QUIRKY,FUNNY, IDEALISTIC,
TONGUE IN CHEEK, SARCASTIC,An idealistic
nostalgic England (A Bygone Era)!
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

jbojangles2008 wrote:
Philippa wrote:Whoa caps lock! :lol:
:lol: :cry: :oops: :P :x
YES JOANNNA LUMLEY WOULD BE MY IDEAL GIRLFRIEND,SAVVY,INTELLIGENT,
REFINED ,CLASSY AND A LITTLE HAUGHTY THOUGH, SHE ADORES HORSES,
BORN IN INDIA,SCINTILLATING CONVERSATIONALIST,ELEGANT,POISED,
EXPONENT OF MARTIAL ARTS, PERHAPS I AM DREAMING !!!EMANATIONS
AND SHE LOVES A GOOD TIME. !!A CUT -GLASSPOSH ACCENT!
WELL SHE IS POSH (PEOPLEONLY SAY HELLO YA!!)
JONATHAN! :arrow: :idea:
Anyone who loves Joanna is a friend of mine.
Marry me :lol:
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

I first saw The Avengers back in 1966 when it was shown on US television. It's been my favorite series ever since.
Khell
Thingumajig

Post by Khell »

I discovered the Avengers because of the New Avengers. :) If it hadn't been for those blokes, I probably never would have bothered to watch the original Avengers. I did know there was a show called "Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone" but I had never bothered to watch. Well, there's not all THAT many episodes of the New Avengers but when they had finished airing them here in Germany, my appetite for new Avenger-stuff was still huge. Almost no fan fiction on the net, back then (must have been late 90s to early 2000s). So when Sat.1 re-run the Avengers (the Peel-episodes), I decided to try that. Good thing I did. The only question that remains now is: Will I ever give Tara a chance? Nothing wrong with that girl but I was so fond of Emma at that time that I simply couldn't stand poor Tara. We'll see ...
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Give the Tara episodes a chance Khell. I too refused to watch them way back when because the first and only episode I had ever seen at the time was Look, Stop Me If You've Heard This One.... Which I hated then and am not over fond of now. Once I forced myself past that one and a couple of other cringe worthy episodes, I found a treasure trove. Most of the Tara's are exceptionally well done and in my opinion are some of the best of all the episodes out of all the eras put together. It was because I gave them a second chance that Tara has become my favorite Avenger's girl out of the four.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.